PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where I can pick up Honda's Oil Filter tool?

jaydub
11-26-2002, 04:43 PM
I asked at the dealership where I got my filter, but they didn't seem to know wtf I was talking about.

Even a pic would help. :)

Cone Killer
11-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
I asked at the dealership where I got my filter, but they didn't seem to know wtf I was talking about.

Even a pic would help. :)

I don't know why you'd need one. If you can't get a filter off...stick it with a screw driver.

myeverlovinsir
11-26-2002, 04:50 PM
Do you mean the oil filter wrench?

http://media.doitbest.com/products/582220.gif

usually 5-20 bucks at many hardware stores.;)

jaydub
11-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Do you mean the oil filter wrench?

http://media.doitbest.com/products/582220.gif

usually 5-20 bucks at many hardware stores.;) Actually I don't believe that will fit where the oil filter resides. Trust me, it's a tight fit in there.

jaydub
11-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

I don't know why you'd need one. If you can't get a filter off...stick it with a screw driver.

:D I didn't even consider it, but it works!!

Mechanic
11-26-2002, 05:25 PM
The Honda part # for the K20 series is 07HAA-PJ170100. When my closest dealer didn't have one in stock, I ordered it online from Manchester Honda (autoparts@manhonda.com).

I should warn you, the correct filter wrench isn't cheap: $21 plus shipping. I've dealt w/Manchester before, so I didn't shop around before ordering one. If I had to do it over again AND had the correct part #, I'd either have ordered it from my dealer or shopped around for the same deal and free shipping.

You'll have to take my word for it that the correct filter wrench makes all the difference in the world.

greenguy
11-26-2002, 05:32 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2938&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

check this thread at the top of the page for my post. Best price I've seen anyone get it at. Dont have a picture, but its a cup that fits over the end of the filter, and you use your sockect wrench to get it off. no punturing and oil all over the place!
good luck!

jaydub
11-26-2002, 05:32 PM
Awesome! but... where didja pick it up?

JSIR
11-26-2002, 06:36 PM
I got the Honda filter wrench, it was overpriced but it fits and saves me money now. I heard one guy bought one at Pep Boys that fit, I bought a handful of different ones before the Honda part and none of them fit right. What you need is a 63mm 16 sided filter wrench, try pep boys. Those style of wrenches depicted in the picture in the above post don't fit our engines very well due to the limited space. If you have the right part you can remove and install the oil filter from above the engine, no need to go under the car, that is worth every penny to me, plus I can torque the filter in place and know it is installed properly.

chunky
11-26-2002, 10:25 PM
i just use my knobby fingers and brutish strength.

i crush filters like tin cans.

tip:

before you install a new oil filter, lube the gasket with some fresh oil. this aids immensely in removing overtightened oil filters. A general rule of thumb is 1/4 turn past when the gasket first touches the metal on the block. Also, try and buy oil filters that have a silicone gasket. I believe the OEM honda one does, these gaskets are much less likely to get stuck to the metal.

I personally use a bosch filter that is the same as what was used on the b-series honda motors. Some people have raised concerns about clearance between the filter and the driveshaft, but it's next to impossible for the two to touch unless something is SERIOUSLY wrong. the filter is only marginally wider than the OEM one, and is the same depth. The filter is above the halfshaft, which doesn't move relative to the block. so far i've had 16k+ miles on this type of filter with no problems.

ocara64
11-27-2002, 12:04 AM
Dude, just go to SEARS in the tool dept. they should have the swivel head metal, or that anti- slip adjustable rubber strap one.

jaydub
11-27-2002, 12:12 AM
i've already said, there is not enough room back there for a strap-type filter remover.

I'll go pick up the OEM honda one.

rick77f
11-27-2002, 12:16 AM
There is plenty of room for a strap wrench, you just need to use a better angle. I used a strap for mine and it worked just fine.

ocara64
11-27-2002, 12:26 AM
Unless someone over torqued it on there. You should be able to remove it by hand, or with a dry rag (unless you got oil everywhere). Also if the wrench has a swivel head it can fit anywhere your hand can.

rick77f
11-27-2002, 12:29 AM
I'd say it was pretty over torqued for the first time. But you're right. I am due for my 3000 mi. change tommorow and the filter should come off by hand pretty easily.

Mechanic
11-27-2002, 03:42 AM
[i]You'll have to take my word for it that the correct filter wrench makes all the difference in the world. [/B]

Can't pass up the chance to quote myself. Let's assume you're gonna change the oil yourself, say . . . 15 times in 50k? So, the extra $7 you're gonna spend on the correct filter wrench for your car is gonna cost you about $0.46 per use.

XHawkeye
12-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Pep Boys didn't have a 63mm wrench but they did have a 65mm 14 sided one that worked just as well.

atl-si
12-16-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by XHawkeye
Pep Boys didn't have a 63mm wrench but they did have a 65mm 14 sided one that worked just as well.
Yep, just got mine from them yesterday and it worked fine.