PDA

View Full Version : obx header modification

dichotomous
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I have the version 2 obx race header, without flex pipe, and the midpipe connection flange has an outlet hole of around 1.8 inches. the pipe itself is probably 2.5 or so, my midpipe is 2.25 (magnaflow). I have an oldschool injen cai and nothing else done to the motor.

my question is whether grinding that connection flange to match the midpipe would benefit me or not. the smaller diameter may increase midrange and lowend torque, but possibly restrict high RPM power. the larger diameter would possibly lose power in low to mid range but gain up top. now my concern is that high RPM power for the k20 engines is different depending on engine, on the A3 high RPM is 5-6800rom, whereas thats still midrange for the A2 which revs much higher. if thats true then leaving the restriction in will improve my power everywhere since my engine cant flow enough to need the full opening.
most of the time I will be driving in the low to mid RPMs anyways
any thoughts?

talonXracer
08-26-2008, 10:39 AM
The reason for the neck down at the flange is so that it can be used with smaller dia midpipes. Nothing to do with flow other than a restriction. You are supposed to open that up to match your existing exhaust dia.

T_Virus
08-26-2008, 12:25 PM
pics?

dichotomous
08-27-2008, 05:47 AM
The reason for the neck down at the flange is so that it can be used with smaller dia midpipes. Nothing to do with flow other than a restriction. You are supposed to open that up to match your existing exhaust dia.

ok that sounds like a plan