PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between 02 sensors

magmagik 1
08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Does anyone know,what is the difference between 02-04 si primary and 02-04 type s???? Are they the same? or totaly different.

talonXracer
08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I have used both DC5S and EP3 primary o2 sensors and other than the length of the wires they were identicle and worked fine.

The newer FG2 o2 sensors are slightly different electronically, they read a different voltage at any specific point than the earlier o2 sensors so the actual A/F wont be reported(sorta like the one Mars landers radar was reporting in metric and the main computer only read SAE standard, sorta caused a high speed contact with the surface).

Used o2 sensors are kinda iffy, if the protective shell(part with holes) contacts any oil, grease, or anti-sieze from the threads, and it isnt completely removed and cleaned with 90% alcohol, it will alter the reading and eventually cause a failure. Also ANY spray cleaning solvent will damage them as well as it contacts the actual probe center, they can not be cleaned except for compressed air.

I have learned not to trust used sensors if I didnt remove them initially.

04cvcsi
08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Used o2 sensors are kinda iffy, if the protective shell(part with holes) contacts any oil, grease, or anti-sieze from the threads, and it isnt completely removed and cleaned with 90% alcohol, it will alter the reading and eventually cause a failure. Also ANY spray cleaning solvent will damage them as well as it contacts the actual probe center, they can not be cleaned except for compressed air.

I have learned not to trust used sensors if I didnt remove them initially.
good to know :thumbu: