PDA

View Full Version : Painted Calipers?

Dunrick
11-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Has anybody painted they're brake calipers? Is it lame to do that? I would think red calipers would look cool cause of all the red accents on the car. Does that crap eventually fade off? Could it damage the calipers? Gimme the 411 guys. thanks

ssvr6
11-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Some have done it. It's not really lame (but I don't like the idea of red or yellow stock calipers). I'd do them black or silver personally.

Check out folia tec or high temp engine paint for that matter.

Steve

natesi
11-26-2002, 10:03 PM
I've never seen pictures of this on an Si, but I have my doubts that it would look very good. Anyone have any pics?

My thoughts are, if you're going to draw attention to your calipers, they better be good ones--not stock, cause people will probably just laugh.

What I think is totally hilarious is people painting their rear drums. What the hell is that--advertising your brakes suck?!!?

I don't get it. Then again, I don't get a lot of stuff, so that's probably not worth much.

IceD out N CALI
11-26-2002, 10:10 PM
i painted mine silver--looks cleaner, thats bout it

nx2kta
11-26-2002, 10:18 PM
rice:confused:

natesi
11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by nx2kta
rice:confused:

LOL!

I was waiting for that one.....

he he

2k2SiAutoXer
11-27-2002, 12:44 AM
i painted mine red a while ago and it did not look too bad, but it made the rear brakes look sooooo tiny when compared with the fronts. Now i dont like it and im waiting for it to chip off. If they were aftermarket then i think they would look good. About the painting of the rear drums, someone in my NAtional guard unit had a 99 Civic type'R' (or he thinks he does). the car is green with an awful amount of yellow paint and vinyl. All the way down to his yellow type-r drums. I dont know why people like to act sooo stupid. Oh yeah, his type r is also a DX auto with stock everything. (cept for the seatbelt pads)

MadBeatChemist
11-27-2002, 02:38 AM
I painted mine red and I liked the way it looked at first. Now I don't because they are either fading or changing colors. I think it is because of the wheel cleaner I have been using is fading the paint so they are almost turning an orange color now. I don't know if I want to repaint them though

fyzm7357
11-27-2002, 03:13 AM
Anyone have any pics of their painted calipers?

Odyssey Mini ME
11-27-2002, 03:03 PM
RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE RICE

painting anything stock into a "racer" color is rice. talk about POOR MAN'S brake upgrades. When you see big brakes, slotted or cross drilled rotors with 4 piston brakes colored. thats ok. when u see STOCK lil wussies painted RED or RICER YELLOW or whatever u want. ITS RICE. dont let anyone tell u otherwise. I mean you haev a SI. go on clubsi. theres a TON of ricers on there, that'll teach u what NOT to do.

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Rice?? WTF?! How the fuck are different color caliphers rice? Just because it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean its rice. My 350Z has as Brembo brake system with orange/redish caliphers...is that rice? Dude, if you like red caliphers then by all means, get them.

2k2SiAutoXer
11-27-2002, 03:14 PM
oh shit, im sorry. I thought since I paid 19k for my car, I could do little things like like paing the brakes red. See, I like doing subtle thinks to my car, like a little more red trim. I could see if I had type R stickers all over my car or a loud ass exhaust that you can hear a mile away, but red brakes are not rice. If you want to paint your brakes a color, go ahead and do it, just please make it match the car and do it right with the right kind of paint.

---Tom

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 03:15 PM
OK GAY!! I didn't see Odyssey Mini Me post...sorry.

Odyssey Mini ME
11-27-2002, 03:27 PM
first off i said that UPGRADED brakes are OK. SPOON CALIPERS being teal/blue are GREAT!
but when u paint crap to make it "look cool" its not really great.

SO spending like a hour or two to paint your calipers a different color isn't rice? WHERES ANY fucntion in that? at all?
i mean bodykits, spoilers, yea its mostly looks, but making your stock brakes different colors is a pathetic way to get the sport look with ghetto paint.. same thing goes with "xenon style" bulbs.. superwhites all around. PLEEEEASE./...

oh yea.. if u paid 19g's for your car. you got ripped off... its going for 15 g's a month ago, and still is going down. the car was over priced and sucks for 19gs why do u think its 15 g's now. hah i feel sorry for that 4000 extra u spent.

19 g's WELL SPENT. to place LAST in everything BUT salom? DUMBASS

http://home.earthlink.net/~hahajoey/si/reviews.jpg

oh yea. courtsey of sport compact mag. one of the better car magazines

2k2SiAutoXer
11-27-2002, 03:38 PM
ok troll, I dare you to put on a set of tires equal to any of the other cars and we will see how the si does. Was the car overpriced, yeah, is it still worth more than a ford that will fall apart or a dodge that will stop running or a hundai well, im not going to even go there. I love going to autocrosses and coming out with beter times than cars that are almost double than mine in price. If you want to look at pure stock for stock specs, sure the Si dosent rate high. Do the same comparison with 2k worth of mods and we will see who is smiling

2k2SiAutoXer
11-27-2002, 03:38 PM
what do you drive anyway, mini me

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Odyssey Mini ME
first off i said that UPGRADED brakes are OK. SPOON CALIPERS being teal/blue are GREAT!
but when u paint crap to make it "look cool" its not really great.

SO spending like a hour or two to paint your calipers a different color isn't rice? WHERES ANY fucntion in that? at all?
i mean bodykits, spoilers, yea its mostly looks, but making your stock brakes different colors is a pathetic way to get the sport look with ghetto paint.. same thing goes with "xenon style" bulbs.. superwhites all around. PLEEEEASE./...

oh yea.. if u paid 19g's for your car. you got ripped off... its going for 15 g's a month ago, and still is going down. the car was over priced and sucks for 19gs why do u think its 15 g's now. hah i feel sorry for that 4000 extra u spent.

19 g's WELL SPENT. to place LAST in everything BUT salom? DUMBASS

http://home.earthlink.net/~hahajoey/si/reviews.jpg

oh yea. courtsey of sport compact mag. one of the better car magazines

Why would you insult people that paid 19 K for the Si? When Si's first came out, they were marking up the Si by 3 to 5 K. Now, they're being reduced to about 15 to 14 K total. But bottomline is, it doesn't matter how much you paid for your Si - if you think whatever you paid was worth it, then more power to you. If people buying an Si felt like they were getting ripped off, they should have thought about it during the purchase process with the salesman. I test drove it and paid for what I thought the car was worth, in terms of performance and reliablity. If the sales guy was ripping me off, then I would have dropped the deal right then and there to look for another Honda dealership. Honda priced the Si long before the SVT, SRT4, etc were coming out. I'm sure they would have adjusted the MSRP if the Si came out last month, but don't go insulting people that paid MSRP or more. Your immature ignorance amazes me.

And with painting the caliphers, I wouldn't do it myself - but if he wants to paint them to enhance the look of his car in his own view, then that's his choice. Don't rag on him cause you think its untasteful to you. Express your opinion and be done with it, no need to keep insulting people. Performance or not, people mod their cars for personal preference.

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Riiiight, SCC failed to mention that most Si prices have been reduced considerably across the nation. I admit, I look at those tests on SCC and I agree with them, it doesn't suprise me. Look at the pussy wheels, for example. However, I didn't buy my Si to race. I bought it for a daily driver. If I want to rip new assholes racers on a nice saturday night, I'll be driving my 350 Z (which will soon have a Twin Turbo System, which is also why my Si is still bone stock, hehe). Main point is, it doesn't matter if the Neon or whatever damn car under 20 K comes along and performs better than the Si, there will always be a faster / better car.

fyzm7357
11-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Acidburn

Express your opinion and be done with it, no need to keep insulting people. Performance or not, people mod their cars for personal preference.

Well said...

ssvr6
11-27-2002, 04:18 PM
This guy is definitely trolling.

Relax Mini Van man... there's no point in trashing people here. This is not ClubSi and we don't take kindly to flaming.

Steve

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

Relax Mini Van man... there's no point in trashing people here. This is not ClubSi and we don't take kindly to flaming.

Steve

In all the posts I've seen by this guy, he brings along his magic charts to back up his trash!! LoL

Jpax
11-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

Steve

what dose pax need to woop on someone here? ......let me at him steve.........;)

dood problay has the ford FRESHcourt.......the upgraded escourt..from highschool....hes pimping 10"rims and fuzz dice on the rear view mirror.....:mad:

Acidburn
11-27-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE

what dose pax need to woop on someone here? ......let me at him steve.........;)

dood problay has the ford FRESHcourt.......the upgraded escourt..from highschool....hes pimping 10"rims and fuzz dice on the rear view mirror.....:mad:

LoL, thats kinda what I said on another post.

RocketHatch
11-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Why post the chart from SCC everybody here has seen it dumb ass. Lets just talk about that article. The Neon that is going around to all the magazines is a ringer. The thing is making 225 at the wheels the specs. from Dodge only claim 215 at the crank. Lets see do ya think that maybe they turned up the boost for the tests. The car doesn't even have mufflers. Most of the cars in the test are using forced induction our car is all motor. I think that must of these companies put their cross hairs on Honda to try to take away some of their sales. They couldn't make enough power all motor so they had to go turbo.

ssvr6
11-27-2002, 08:57 PM
I'm sorry Dunrick, I'm going to lock this one down. It was hijacked by a troll and I want to avoid the upcoming war.

Feel free to start a new thread. (I'll be painting mine black or gunmetal in the near futrure.)

Steve