PDA

View Full Version : time for a lawyer.

chakra71
11-26-2002, 09:21 PM
So i had my court date today. This is crazy, so check this out.

The city of Moody where i was given the ticket only does court once a month. So i showed up and told them that i wanted a trial. They said ok and to wait for my turn. After a two hour wait (court started at 5:00 pm) the officer shows up we go up before the judge.

The prosecutor asks the cop what happened and the cop tells the story of how he was sitting in the parking lot of some store near the intersection chatting with another officer when he heard/saw a SILVER civic that was HIGHLY modified squeeling his tires while flying through the intersection and attaining a top speed of around 60 mph in a 20 mph zone. The judge wrote down the words "silver, squeeling tires, modified"

I patiently wait my turn to ask questions and when i get the nod i ask the cop to describe my car. He said again that it was a silver civic that had chrome wheels and had been lowered and had an exhaust. At that point i pointed out to the judge that my car is Black, not modified in any way and a hatchback. the officer could not remember if it was a hatch or not.

At that point i explain my side. I told them that my car was loaded with camping equipment, books, and tires that i was giving to a friend. They nodded and said that they wanted to wait until the other officer who stopped to come in and testify. So we sat back down and waited. Another 45 minutes goes by and the other officer comes in and tells the story about how he never saw me do it, and he couldn't place me as the one making the noise and he couldn't describe theoutside of my car. But he did notice that the shifter was on the dash, to which i pointed out that the only way to know that is by looking in the car up close.

after the other cops testimony i had no other questions thinking that it was a closed case. The judge found me GUILTY and fined me $500 plus $95 in court costs.

So needless to say, tomorrow i'm calling a lawyer. Can you guys believe this? I was stereotyped into a crime based upon other people clowning around in their civics. I'll appeal this as high as i have to. if i were guilty i would pay it, but i'm not. sigh...

SubliminalSi
11-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a BUNCH of BS!!! He even said that the car he saw was silver?! And yours is black!?! psh

ssvr6
11-26-2002, 09:25 PM
That's just f-ing ridiculous.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Steve

goldy02
11-26-2002, 09:31 PM
hey i got an idea, i'll come down from huntsville and we'll really cause alot of havoc, with our cars

chakra71
11-26-2002, 09:34 PM
we should riot. get machine guns and fire out the sunroof. yeah. crazy stuff. the crazy thing is that he dismissed a case tonight where a mustang was doing 80 in a 45. i hate that town. is why i moved away from there at the first chance.

natesi
11-26-2002, 09:56 PM
What a damn rip off.

The sad part is, by the time you pay a lawyer you might as well just pay the fine, plus save yourself a lot of time.

I'd be absolutely enraged though. Stupid ass judge knows exactly what they are doing--just screwing you over. Even if you "win" you "lose". Face it; you're fucked.

3rdhatch
11-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Holy crap. I had no idea that there were other people on this forum that lived in Alabama. Needless to say I thought I was the only one. Were exactly is Moody in reference to Bham. I live in Homewood, suburb right outside of bham, and was wanting to meet up with some fellow EPers. I thought it was interesting cause I drive a lowered, silver, EP with exhaust, with wheels, maybe he was talking about me? Oh well.:o

goldy02
11-26-2002, 10:02 PM
chakara71, hey man chill now you sound like the damned al queda or bin laden, i know your pissed. but don't go crazy, just yet

everyone in al needs to meet up sometime lets get a time and day arranged

IceD out N CALI
11-26-2002, 10:08 PM
that is uncalled for, the judge totally threw the book at you:rolleyes:

chakra71
11-26-2002, 10:09 PM
yeah i'm pissed but by now i've had a little bit to drink so i'm feeling slightly better. i know i'm going to sink lots of money in court costs and lawyers to get this dropped, but it's so much better than having it on my record (which i got to see tonight. 4 tickets, one each year for the last 4 years, two at over 85 mph, which is why they gave me such a stiff fine). but i would so much rather pay a lawyer than pay this backwards city and then turn around and pay insurance for the next 3 years.

Yeah 3rd hatch, does your tag say something like your handle? i think my friend may have seen you around town. he drives a nice new mustang gt. Also I work in Homewood at the SouthTrust compound at wildwood.

Moody is a little town near leeds. If you take I-20 towards Atlanta it's that way about 15 miles.

In the next week or so some guys at work are talking about going to the track in Montgomery. We should all try to meet up down there. Once i get some more info i'll post it in the southeast forum.

3rdhatch
11-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Yeah my tag is almost identical with my thingie. I think I might have seen you on my way to Nopi. I saw a black Ep somewhere around there. Let me know about a meet though and Ill be down.

Type X
11-26-2002, 11:32 PM
judge sounds like a retard but shit happens
just key his car and go home and rub one out

ocara64
11-27-2002, 12:15 AM
BS - cops, BS - judicial system. Even if you fight them, they still waste your time and money. You can never just win against the system without them getting some of you money. Even if they let you walk they charge you court cost.
PS.
I HATE COPS......

atl-si
11-27-2002, 06:56 AM
Cops, cops, cops, I hate cops! I live in an area of my county where there is cops all over the place.:mad:

TrippZ
11-27-2002, 01:08 PM
omg something similar happened to me on saturday

there was a break in with this old ass beige oldsmobile, and i call the cops because the horn keeps going. this short stubby cop comes and starts asking questions, adn then he goes "whose car is that?" pointing to my Si. usually when people ask about my car, they want to compliment me. I'm like "thats mine, why?"

"you need to slow down, i saw you comin' around this corner (points to a about 95-105 degree turn donw the road) screechin your tires last nite. if i catch you doing that again i'll cite you for show of acceleration."

I didnt want to say anything to him, so i said "oh, ok, sorry aobut that officer. thanks"

but here's the twisted part... I didnt even go on that turn but 2 times yesterday, and both times, i had my brother in the car, and he always makes me drive cautious. Also, the only time i ever spun my tires on that turn, i completely spun the car out, and it was on a rainy day about 2 months ago...

fucking corrupt cop. i want to find him and tea bag him, but i'm not a big enough man :(

IceD out N CALI
11-27-2002, 10:23 PM
good luck

3rdhatch
11-28-2002, 07:37 PM
This goes to everyone in the alabama/bham area. I think I am going to Steele tomorrow night. I was hoping maybe we could meet up there. I want to see what my car will run since I got my catback. Previous best is a 15.4 @ 88.8 mph. See ya there hopefully.

chakra71
11-28-2002, 08:08 PM
right on. I'll be there and i'll try to bring my friends from work. If i can convince them to go then we would have an RSX-S, 00 SI, and a Mustang GT, plus our EP's. Cool.

3rdhatch
11-28-2002, 08:37 PM
Sounds good. I'll try to convince as many of my friends as well.

3rdhatch
11-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Oh and btw try to bring a digital camera if you have one.

chakra71
11-28-2002, 08:48 PM
yeah i'll bring my digital still and try to get someone to bring a digi-vid. Can't wait to actually meet someone else with an ep. What time you heading up there? I'll probably go right after work @ 6. What time does the track open tomorrow?

3rdhatch
11-28-2002, 09:53 PM
The track usually opens around 9. But they don't start racing ntil about 9:45. It should be damn cold so there shouldn't be a lot of rednecks out. Lite em UPPPPP! ( redneck impersonation). Looking foward to meeting you though. I gonna go borrow the slicks from my buddy that owns Next Level Performance. I think I'll probably leave at about 7,7:30.