PDA

View Full Version : hydro

onesickrace
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
anyone ever "save"their motor from hydrolock? i live in phoenix and you wouldnt think you would have to deal with this... i just got the car a month ago, its got an aem cai. so its right down close to the road and the car is lowered... when it stopped, i opened the door and the water was almost coming in the door, over the door sill... it started up maybe 20 minutes after it turned off but sounded shitty,,,sputtering, so i left it sit there over night, went and got it this morning. it started up and ran bad the 1/4 mile i was from home and its just sat in the sun all day. also, any easy way to take the filter off with out much other disassembly? its still damp and i wanna let it cook in this az sun. any help advice or stories are appreciated

clutch797
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
short answer..... No. Thats why i have the stock air box.

benkieboy
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
i feel sorry for you bro! good thing we dont have that problem here in california.

Passenger
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
In GA it gets to where it'll rain pretty good for a few days then stop for while then do it again.
I'm concerned about when I do start driving again, about getting this as well..

Doesn't someone sell a thing to wrap around your filter (sorta like a bypass valve, but w/o the bypass valve lol) to keep it from getting hydro'd??

onesickrace
08-29-2008, 04:11 PM
i got thru to my honda mech... he said that hydro lock usually creates some loud knocking, thrown rod, even a possible hole in the side of the motor. and the fact that i got my car to crank over 20 minutes later was a good sign. he thinks i just need to let it sit and if it continues after another day of drying out to have it towed in tuesday...stuff like this always seems to hit me on holiday weekends... haha. so lets hope hes right... i used to be more mechanically involved with my own cars, 87 crx si, 90 crx si, 91 civic hatch si... im just over it and stick to my old motorbikes these days... they are much easier to work on...ha. thanks guys any other info is welcomed...

T_Virus
08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
one thing of what other people did was drain the oil, put some oil, drain again and put again...etc...

dofu2
08-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Change your oil and check your spark plugs... you may want to change those out too.

onesickrace
08-29-2008, 10:11 PM
appreciate all the help. i pulled the plugs... as much as i know, they looked fine, just a little dirty from age...not fouled and all still gapped correctly. tried to start it with out the plugs in, no water shot out. i had my lady film it for everyone on here, incase something did shoot out... but nothing. i put the plugs back in and ran it around the block... no more hesitation.. the oil did seem a bit murky... so ill get that taken care of most likely tomorrow and definately before i drive anywhere else. thanks again...

underOATH
08-29-2008, 11:11 PM
oh, you got pounded by that storm didnt you!Im out in chandler, and we got the tail end of it, which was still pretty bad!

I slightly hydro'd my car once after driving through a large puddle, but never that bad...

I have an AEM CAI as well btw...

2005rollingegg
08-30-2008, 02:29 AM
i got thru to my honda mech... he said that hydro lock usually creates some loud knocking, thrown rod, even a possible hole in the side of the motor. and the fact that i got my car to crank over 20 minutes later was a good sign.

That sounds right, but you should still get it checked out. Also change the oil to try to get out as much water as possible.

VegaS10
08-30-2008, 04:50 AM
For the longest time I've been debating what CAI to put on my stock ep3. The other day we had severe flooding and I was forced to go through a "puddle". There was a semi and city bus in the next lanes that would not allow me to switch lanes.

The Saturn in front of me zoomed forward and I said "Fuck it, stay in his wake", so at 45 mph I blazed through and felt ok.....till I saw water coming over the hood. We kept going and I looked back and saw the S10 that was tailgating me just die off, his headlights cut off under the water.

I kept going and the Saturn and I pulled through. I drove the next 10 miles to work trouble free, and have been for the last 2 days.

At this point I've decided that the covered, high nested OEM airbox is going to be a permanent part of the car. Screw the extra 2 HP. It saved me and the hatch from dying in the murky mess that was that puddle.

BeaterEP
08-30-2008, 07:59 AM
For the longest time I've been debating what CAI to put on my stock ep3. The other day we had severe flooding and I was forced to go through a "puddle". There was a semi and city bus in the next lanes that would not allow me to switch lanes.

The Saturn in front of me zoomed forward and I said "Fuck it, stay in his wake", so at 45 mph I blazed through and felt ok.....till I saw water coming over the hood. We kept going and I looked back and saw the S10 that was tailgating me just die off, his headlights cut off under the water.

I kept going and the Saturn and I pulled through. I drove the next 10 miles to work trouble free, and have been for the last 2 days.

At this point I've decided that the covered, high nested OEM airbox is going to be a permanent part of the car. Screw the extra 2 HP. It saved me and the hatch from dying in the murky mess that was that puddle.

HOLY CRAP!!!
I'd say that's a pretty strong endorsement for the stock box. Damn.
I like how the mini minivan makes it, but the truck does not.
No justice in this world :mbiggrin:

Guess I'm just gonna shave my airbox, and not worry bout the CAI (I don't like all that noise anyway)

/threadjack

bdooley
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
well this should just be a lesson learned. get the hydroshield

Civic5lug
08-30-2008, 08:54 AM
its like playing russian roulet, sometimes you get lucky

itchy5
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
take the whole intake off, clean it, reoil the filter, change plugs, change oil if milky and hope that your valves and rods are alright.. gl man i almost hydrolocked as well driving for 1 hour in heavy rain :|

4angrybadgers
08-31-2008, 06:15 AM
The "hydroshield" won't protect you from hydrolock if you completely immerse the intake. It's only supposed to protect from road spray, but honestly I've never seen that cause an issue.

You shouldn't drive into deep water regardless of what intake you have, as that water can hide something dangerous, and there may be currents in the water that can sweep you away in a hurry. It's basic common sense that's taught in every driver's ed and safety course. So even if you have a stock intake, don't drive in deep water.

onesickrace
08-31-2008, 02:13 PM
underoath: ya, i live in tempe. right by campus,,,and apparently, somehow, the flash floods where a foot deep at this intersection right by my house. i couldnt see that there was even a puddle let alone that it covered the entire intersection of 13th st and roosevelt... and with the rain hitting the roof so hard, i didnt even hear my car die... anyhow...

yesterday, i took it to jiffy lube for an engine flush zero weight oil for a few minutes then got an oil change after that.. its not sputtering anymore after 2 grand on the tach but if i shift from first to third it sputters when its under a heavy load... then quickly gets back on track and accelerates... sounds a bit louder than previous... its got a greddy cat back system and some sort of header...

thanks again everyone. i still plan on taking it to my honda mech to have him look it over... i just bought this car a month ago and really wanna keep it for atleast 100000 miles of my own..