PDA

View Full Version : K20a3 head swap

Logibear
08-31-2008, 01:52 AM
I was looking for a motor to swap into my 94 civic dx hatchback when i stumbled upon a k20a3 for $500. this motor is complete with transmission and under 10,000 km. no its not stolen it was in a 2004 sir that got rear ended and wrote off. i really wanted a k20a2 but for $500 i'd like to work on the k20a3.

So my question is can i swap an a2 head on to my a3 motor and what is needed to do this? If i can swap the head and make myself a 5 speed type R and get the increased hp i could save some money, that is if everything else in the motor is the same as the k20a2 minus the high compression pistons.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about, please shed some light.

Thanks,
Logibear

Logibear
08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
oh and also if i get the new ecu to run that new head will my redline increase to that of the type r?

BobSassafrass
08-31-2008, 05:24 AM
Its been done with disappointing results. I think most people would say go k24 but I think 160hp in an eg would be pretty decent with some weight reduction.

Logibear
08-31-2008, 03:06 PM
ah thats shitty. this engine was a good deal and my old d15b7 is dying so i guess it will do for now. i need to by the k series swap mounts anyways so i can still swap for a k20a2 or k24a2 later.

talonXracer
08-31-2008, 06:31 PM
You would need kpro to run the engine due to the Cr difference, 5 speed/vtec issues with any amount of success. It is a perfectly fine alternative(with kpro) that will perform, just not as well as a full swap.
Remember that the labor for a head swap will be more than a full swap, it is a very backbreaking tedious job, that can be easily screwed up by someone that isnt familiar with a Kseries(especially self proclaimed "B" series wizards).

Now if you have the engine out, it is a very easy job. With all the parts ready and all clearances on the engine set(just not assembled) I can get a K20A2 ready to run in 2 hours(though I would wait a minimum of 24 hours before adding fluids), just follow the Helms manual.

So you can see the engine isnt difficult to work on, just the work environment.

Logibear
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
holy shit thats going to cost alot. its 1500 for kpro and i need a new wiring harness for the motor plus the type s or type r head. yikes maybe i should just find a type s or r motor. any idea where i can get one?

it's a shame cuz that motor was a good deal. what if i got the head and a whole stock type s ecu and harness? anyone herd of that working?

EP03
09-02-2008, 08:59 AM
You will still need Kpro to get it running properly as its going into an older car without the technologies of the new. That cost will always have to be considered with this, as well as the obvious mounts, axles, harness, etc. A K-series into an EG body is a lot of work. You might be better with the ever popular B16 for the fact that it is only a few wires extra and fairly painless for the same 160hp.

LaoKidd2k
09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
i did the head swap and only made 172 to the wheels. which is not great but is nice to have and hear vtec. the head swap is only good if you plan to add boost. which i also did but i need to get tuned, so i'm trying to save every penny.

HenHouseSuprise
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
go with a b. save the a3 for a crx.

Passenger
09-07-2008, 01:41 AM
You will still need Kpro to get it running properly as its going into an older car without the technologies of the new. That cost will always have to be considered with this, as well as the obvious mounts, axles, harness, etc. A K-series into an EG body is a lot of work. You might be better with the ever popular B16 for the fact that it is only a few wires extra and fairly painless for the same 160hp.

but less torque but the use of premium gas:mrolleyes:
but yeah k20a3 sucks. just get it since its so cheap just to at least have the car running period but the mounts and kpro is where it'll come bite ya in the ass, financially speaking.