PDA

View Full Version : Trick car

Mechanic
11-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Let's combine a couple of thoughts from other threads.

Imagine, if you will, a light-weight CTR (no AC, audio gear, etc.) on sticky yokohamas. Now that would be a canyon runner.

Hondatech
11-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I've always thought it'd be neat if Honda made a real "R means Race" version of the Si(R). Like you said, no A/C, no sunroof (a big one there), no stereo, manual windows and locks and outside mirrors, no rear wiper, no sound deadining material, etc. Just crazy weight savings at all costs.

Mechanic
11-27-2002, 11:06 AM
Works for me, Hondatech, but I suspect Honda would only sell two, yours and mine.

autojive
11-27-2002, 11:22 AM
I think that they would probably sell more than two (at least three, I'd buy one :) ). When Dodge put out the SCCA Edition Neon ACR, they couldn't keep them on the lot at all. There's more than enough of a market out there for a limited production car like what you are descrbing in my opinion. Although actually convincing Honda that some people want it is another story altogether. :rolleyes:

Mechanic
11-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Autojive, I agree with you that the Dodge Neon ARC is a great marketing idea. And, I'd love to see Honda sell the CTR equivilent. The problem is that Dodge sells enough other products in their lineup to allow them to sell Neon ARCs at a loss, if necessary, for the greater good: to make a name for the company via the skills of autocrossers. Honda doesn't have that option. They have to make money on everything they sell. Think about it: when's the last time that Honda took a risk with a model series? You can make a good argument that the Civic Si is about as far out as they were willing to go, and the irony is that the CTR would likely be selling twice the rate of the Si if only they'd import it. Oh, well . . .

But, man, I'd love to see the CTR that Hondatech described.

autojive
11-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Think about it: when's the last time that Honda took a risk with a model series?

Honda sells each and every Insight at a loss. I'm sure that Honda of America has its share of money that it can toss aside towards getting something they believe in out to the consumer.

Mechanic
11-27-2002, 12:34 PM
Good point on the Insight. I can't imagine they made a dime on that model. My hunch is that that Honda was in it for the research value in case they had to produce a zero-emissions car for the California market. The company did something similar with the VTCC engine in the early 70s, which really established the company's engineering reputation when GM was insisting catalytic converters were they only way to meet emission standards in CA. But your point is well taken.

So, where's my CTR? :-)