PDA

View Full Version : D-Specs SHOT after 2 months

04EP3Hatch
09-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Well, after 2 months of driving, my Tokico D-specs are shot up front! Shot like they make noise over bumps, the ride isnt as stiff, and Tokico is trying to say something is wrong with my setup! I was like uhmm, i have d-specs and H&R springs? whayt could be wrong with my setup, everything else in the front end is brand spanking new, mounts, seats, tie-rods, all but ball joints which are fine. Like when you put the car in the air you can shake the wheel back and forth and if you lift up the dust boot, you can feel the strut rod move around in the body :meek:! i mean it isnt movement like im going to DIE if idrive this, but there is a slight movement. Sooo now im dealing with chuck from showstoppers about it and he is being so much more of a help than tokico.

firmk20
09-01-2008, 07:51 AM
thats sucks man i head my d specs for a while and i havnt had any problems, and chuck is pretty good.

MugsyTheGr8
09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
that's unacceptable. and tokico wont replace them?

mustclime
09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, after 2 months of driving, my Tokico D-specs are shot up front! Shot like they make noise over bumps, the ride isnt as stiff, and Tokico is trying to say something is wrong with my setup! I was like uhmm, i have d-specs and H&R springs? whayt could be wrong with my setup, everything else in the front end is brand spanking new, mounts, seats, tie-rods, all but ball joints which are fine. Like when you put the car in the air you can shake the wheel back and forth and if you lift up the dust boot, you can feel the strut rod move around in the body :meek:! i mean it isnt movement like im going to DIE if idrive this, but there is a slight movement. Sooo now im dealing with chuck from showstoppers about it and he is being so much more of a help than tokico.

thats what happend to mine....the T people told me to go sit and spin( "It must have happend in a accedent" was what they really told me)...I am now on koni's.....fuk d-specs.

FYI, when you pull the shocks, knock off the top cap on the ft's( it just slips on and off and is there for bottoming out) and you will see why they failed....stupid design.

04EP3Hatch
09-02-2008, 03:28 AM
how bad would it be if i put my stock struts in with the H&R's? how long until they blow out lol

mustclime
09-02-2008, 04:02 AM
how bad would it be if i put my stock struts in with the H&R's? how long until they blow out lol

no way to tell......just buy some koni's for the ft, tirerack sells them by the shock....the rear d-specs are a standard design, they will hold up ok.

02TWSI
09-02-2008, 07:25 AM
thats what happend to mine....the T people told me to go sit and spin( "It must have happend in a accedent" was what they really told me)...I am now on koni's.....fuk d-specs.

FYI, when you pull the shocks, knock off the top cap on the ft's( it just slips on and off and is there for bottoming out) and you will see why they failed....stupid design.

So if they are so bad, why does everyone on this site recommend the same cookie cutter dspec + spring combo?

Being Cheap?

mustclime
09-02-2008, 07:38 AM
So if they are so bad, why does everyone on this site recommend the same cookie cutter dspec + spring combo?

Being Cheap?

everyone but me.....I killed the first set in less than a year....I tend to recamend koni's and bilstiens for stock replacement and buddy clubs for coilovers. I have been kinda waiting for this thread, that way my damper failor was not just a freak happening. The problem is most ep3 drivers on here do not really push on their car like I do so the d-specs are holding up for them.

sidious141
09-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I ran koni yellows on my EK and they completely rocked, never had a problem from them. Too bad we have to hack things up to use them.

Do Bilsteins hold up well when coupled with springs that dont lower much?

SPAM&RICE
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Dont feel bad buddy my front end is shot too:wacko: sportlines\blues less than a year, time for a makeover.

MugsyTheGr8
09-02-2008, 10:42 AM
its just weird that some member have had theirs for years and don't have a single problem, while others have experienced failures

mustclime
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
its just weird that some member have had theirs for years and don't have a single problem, while others have experienced failures

they drive like little girlie men.......:mangel:

MugsyTheGr8
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
the drive like little girlie men.......:mangel:

:tehehyper:

SoleLive
09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
What's the mfg part # for the koni's?

MugsyTheGr8
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
front 50.5mm Manufacturer Part #: 8641-1416SPORT
front 53.8mm Manufacturer Part #: 8610-1415SPORT
rear Manufacturer Part #: 8041-1281SPORT

SoleLive
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
After reading about the lack of quality for the D-specs I'm seriously considering the Koni's. I guess it's a toss up between them. If I do order the D-specs I hope I don't run into the same problem.

Does anybody else have them(Koni's)? How many settings does it have? Thanks in advance

Zzyzx
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Does anybody else have them(Koni's)? How many settings does it have? Thanks in advance

If you mean "clicks" then Konis have no settings... Given that they don't have arbitrary notches cut in to their adjustment settings.

As far as adjustment range, Konis will have a greater range of adjustment, meaning a greater difference between stiff and soft valving then the D-spec's will.

However, given that D-spec's adjust both bump & rebound valving and Koni's only adjust Rebound valving. It means that the D-specs will have a greater range of ride quality adjustments. Given that bump valving has more to do with ride quality then rebound valving. even though from a handling perspective, adjusting rebound & bump with one knob at the same time... is bad.

speedking604
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
i thought they have lifetime warranty. when i bought mine 2 years ago the shop told me as long as they intall the shocks it will be lifetime warranty. the only time they will void it is when you use coilover with them or if you installed it yourself.

fobman
09-02-2008, 04:10 PM
i thought they have lifetime warranty. when i bought mine 2 years ago the shop told me as long as they intall the shocks it will be lifetime warranty. the only time they will void it is when you use coilover with them or if you installed it yourself.

jarwin, where did u get the d-specs from ?
im looking to get one soon

v1c10us
09-04-2008, 06:26 AM
im failing to see how a blown shock is letting you rock the wheel back and forth when its in the air, and if its making a noise and you can do that, sounds like a wheel bearing or something to me

mustclime
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
im failing to see how a blown shock is letting you rock the wheel back and forth when its in the air, and if its making a noise and you can do that, sounds like a wheel bearing or something to me

d-specs are a twin tube damper, that is a tube within a tube with the pistion moving up and down the inner tube. On mine, the inner tube broke loose from the outer tube allowing the damper shaft to rock back and forth....thus you can rock the wheel.

FCobra94
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I was thinking the same, but then he said "you can feel the strut rod move around in the body" and that's definitely not normal lolz!

v1c10us
09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
d-specs are a twin tube damper, that is a tube within a tube with the pistion moving up and down the inner tube. On mine, the inner tube broke loose from the outer tube allowing the damper shaft to rock back and forth....thus you can rock the wheel.

I see, Its just that I would have imagined that the suspension components should hold the wheel steady regaurdless of the dampers condition. I guess im missing something

Drew1d
09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I see, Its just that I would have imagined that the suspension components should hold the wheel steady regaurdless of the dampers condition. I guess im missing something

I would think the same thing, unless there is a manufacturing defect. There is no way the shiny shaft should move anywhere but straight up and down, and if it does, Even if the shock is blown, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with the way it's made.

A defect of this nature, and their refusal to make good on their product makes me SERIOUSLY reconsider Tokico shocks for ANY car. (And I'm not just talking about D-Specs.)
:meek:

mustclime
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM

Look at this.....

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg96/mustclime/S4_Civic_2-1.gif

The strut locates the suspension, if the upper or lower guides of the damper is loose, the wheel will rock.....this is not a ek suspension.

Zzyzx
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
^Yup, thats the point of a strut setup, you remove one of the two control arms and replace it with a beefy damper assembly. the strut then acts as both a damper & stabliizing arm.

should something fail in that assembly then yes it could allow the wheel & knucle assemblies to move around.

IF the valving stack went bad then it shouldn't allow such movement. But if the inner tube bent or broke away from its mounting then it would/could.

v1c10us
09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh gotcha, see I was thinking of the actual damper not the housing, i forgot they are together in the d-specs instead of just an insert.