PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 09:03 AM
does anyone know where i could find a roll cage for my 02?

Bears on Acid
09-01-2008, 09:16 AM
do you want a show cage or one that's actually welded to your car?

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 09:19 AM
i want one thats actually welded to my car.

Draw7Seven
09-01-2008, 09:26 AM
i want one thats actually welded to my car.

I want to say that most people that do this just get a shop to custom build one. But I could be wrong. I just remember the last thread where a guy (drawing a blank on his name at the moment) got the Mugen cage or something then chopped it up to get fitment, and everybody wondered why he didn't get a cheaper one or custom build it.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
alright. sounds good. i will start looking for a place in my area.

Lucid Moments
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I had mine done custom. Guy that did mine actually builds rock crawlers and 4X4 trucks and such so that might be another place to look for.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
ok. do you know how much everything would be with labor and all that?

Lucid Moments
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM
It will depend on what exactly you want done. I've seen full race cages go for $1500 or more. Mine is a very simple back half with a hoop, two diagonals down from the hoop to the rear strut towers, a cross bar in the hoop with a diagonal from the drivers side top to passenger side bottom across the hoop and one connector between the diagonals just above the rear strut towers. All of that is made out of .120 wall 1.75" mild steel tubing.

I took the car in to the shop pretty well gutted with just the drivers seat in it so he didn't have to remove anything. IIRC the bill was just under $500.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 10:41 AM
alright. thanks. thats pretty much what im looking for. nothing to extreme but enough.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
do you have any pictues of what yours looks like?

Siborg
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
here is a place I was looking, and Wayne at Speedstar makes them also. both are bolt in though I believe.

http://www.safedrives.com/products.asp?cat=72&pg=2

I want to say that most people that do this just get a shop to custom build one. But I could be wrong. I just remember the last thread where a guy (drawing a blank on his name at the moment) got the Mugen cage or something then chopped it up to get fitment, and everybody wondered why he didn't get a cheaper one or custom build it.

that was Hur1cne (mel) with the Mugen cage and he did that so he could keep his headliner in since it's ment to go in a gutted completely car. Very nice cage also

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 10:46 AM
would it be better to have somethig that bolts in or something that is welded?

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
im guessing that the bolt in roll cages just bolt somewhere to the inside of the car? where would they bolt to?

Siborg
09-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I would guess welding would be stronger (full race car)but bolt in would be strong enough(daily and occasional track days). every chassis bar out is bolted and they help. and the cars I've been in w/ bolt in cages feels way stiffer,and you can remove it easier if car is sold, so it's you choice for it's use and how it is mounted.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 11:00 AM
where does it got mounted in the car? is there specific spots already? or do you have to make holes for it?

Siborg
09-01-2008, 11:03 AM
usually they come with templates to drill through the floor, or you put it in and drill where the brackets land.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 11:05 AM
is that a big deal to drill through your car? or is it unnoticeable if you were to take it out to sell it?

Lucid Moments
09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
do you have any pictues of what yours looks like?

I thought I did but I can't find any. I'll try to snap some here in a while.

would it be better to have somethig that bolts in or something that is welded?

Welded.

I would guess welding would be stronger (full race car)but bolt in would be strong enough(daily and occasional track days). every chassis bar out is bolted and they help. and the cars I've been in w/ bolt in cages feels way stiffer,and you can remove it easier if car is sold, so it's you choice for it's use and how it is mounted.

A cage is not about making the car stiffer. A cage is about safety. It does have a side benefit of making the car stiff, but I hope nobody goes into something like this thinking that is the primary purpose. Also if you do go with a welded in cage remember that is about as irreversible as you can get with a mod.

I have a cage in mine because I track my car (road course) fairly regularly and I wanted to be able to safely run racing seats and harnesses.

02ep3driver
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
ya. i think that im going to go with a bolt in cage. cuz then if i ever wanted to take it out for something else i would be able to. thank for the advice.