PDA

View Full Version : how to change fuel filter

thanismo
09-01-2008, 10:11 PM
my car ( 2003 ep3) is not running . i think its because of either fuel filter got too dirty or probably my fuel pump is not working.. so ima just try to change the fuel filter first .. but i don no how to do it....can you guys show or tell me how to change the fuel filter.... pics or DIY would be nice... ASAP plz.. cuz i need my ep to go to school.......thanks

D3xn2o
09-02-2008, 07:00 AM
What Exactly do you mean by not running

Won't start?

Won't Crank?

Won't Stay on?

How many miles do you have that you think you slugged up your filter that bad for no fuel to be getting to your motor?

Fico
09-02-2008, 07:12 AM
my car ( 2003 ep3) is not running . i think its because of either fuel filter got too dirty or probably my fuel pump is not working.. so ima just try to change the fuel filter first .. but i don no how to do it....can you guys show or tell me how to change the fuel filter.... pics or DIY would be nice... ASAP plz.. cuz i need my ep to go to school.......thanks

fuel filet is in the tank, and some actualy description of what the car is doing when you try and crank it would help too

thanismo
09-02-2008, 10:34 AM
What Exactly do you mean by not running

Won't start?

Won't Crank?

Won't Stay on?

How many miles do you have that you think you slugged up your filter that bad for no fuel to be getting to your motor?

its wont start.. but it cranked though... there are no fuel pumping to the engine at all.. i think it probably the fuel filter is too dirty dat make the gas cant go thru...or maybe the fuel pump is not working ....right now my car is about 73xxx miles on it..

thanismo
09-02-2008, 10:39 AM
fuel filet is in the tank, and some actualy description of what the car is doing when you try and crank it would help too
well first my car was running fine but sudden it just died.. i tried to start it again then it did stated but for like 10 second... i tried to start it but it wont start... all i hear is da cranking sound... for the fuel filter ,,, does it mean dat i have to take out ta back seat .. and take out that metal cover thinggy ? is the fuel filter is inside dat thing ? do i have to do anything els?

thanismo
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
guys ??? any help around here ??

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
The fuel filter is the complete cap portion that the pump, sump filter, regulator, and fuel level sender is attached to. In the DIY section near the first posting there should be a stickies page, open that page and you will find a link to the Helms manual. This will help you troubleshoot your issues and show you how to replace the assembly. There are also several very good threads concerning the fuel system in the DIY and engine section. Try a search of the stickies.

bdooley
09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
The fuel filter is the complete cap portion that the pump, sump filter, regulator, and fuel level sender is attached to. In the DIY section near the first posting there should be a stickies page, open that page and you will find a link to the Helms manual. This will help you troubleshoot your issues and show you how to replace the assembly. There are also several very good threads concerning the fuel system in the DIY and engine section. Try a search of the stickies.

Troof!! :thumbu:

thanismo
09-03-2008, 09:04 AM
is walbro is the stock one we use? or the performance one.. cuz i just wan to replace mine with a stock one.....help me

nrengle
09-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Man I hope you get this fixed... You really need to get to school, cause this was painful to read.

william
09-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Man I hope you get this fixed... You really need to get to school, cause this was painful to read.

x2 for reels mamn@!

thisisagame24
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM

troofs....my brain is hurting now

Heitzke
09-03-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14S5S0_B03.gif

Ok, so 47 is the fuel pump assembly. If you wanted to replace the filter, you must buy the whole pump assembly?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14S5S0_B04.gif

What is number 9 in this diagram? It's referred to as a "canister filter" in the catalog. What is it for?

skep18
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
troofs....my brian is hurting now

:gninja: hoy - yawww!!!

skep18
09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14S5S0_B03.gif

Ok, so 47 is the fuel pump assembly. If you wanted to replace the filter, you must buy the whole pump assembly?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14S5S0_B04.gif

What is number 9 in this diagram? It's referred to as a "canister filter" in the catalog. What is it for?

9 looks like a fuel filter from what I've seen before. Just replaced one on my neighbor's Explorer.

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 02:45 PM
9 looks like a fuel filter from what I've seen before. Just replaced one on my neighbor's Explorer.

Wrong.

AGAIN, The filter comprises the ENTIRE upper assembly that sits in the fuel tank opening. Do a search and this has been covered FULLY.

All of the individual part#'s for the fuel pump assembly have been posted. The on-line sites and Stealerships do not have access to these #'s, so all they can find is the entire assembly for big bucks.

thanismo
09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
is there a way to check the fuel system to see weather it is working or not ? like a trouble shooting .. you no .. cuz im scare that i might replace something that i don need too.. plz help me guys..... thanks...

thanismo
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM

sorry for not speaking right .... and i don need to hear ur compliment about my english .. i no m not good with grammas and stuff ...it just take some time for a person to learn another country language....don be such an ass man...

robhep3
09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Seriously, if you don't already have a copy of the Service Manual, get it here: http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633

Then, find Page 11-10 and read the troubleshooting/diagnostic procedure for a Crank/No Start condition. It will eventually lead you to 11-141 (Troubleshoot Fuel Pump Ckt.) If you don't feel confident that you'd be able to perform the procedure yourself, tow it to a shop. You can really screw stuff up if you don't know what you're doing when you're messing with wires and relays...

thanismo
09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Seriously, if you don't already have a copy of the Service Manual, get it here: http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633

Then, find Page 11-10 and read the troubleshooting/diagnostic procedure for a Crank/No Start condition. It will eventually lead you to 11-141 (Troubleshoot Fuel Pump Ckt.) If you don't feel confident that you'd be able to perform the procedure yourself, tow it to a shop. You can really screw stuff up if you don't know what you're doing when you're messing with wires and relays...

thanks bro

HenHouseSuprise
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
haynes manual = bible.

robhep3
09-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Like I said, I don't know your technical ability, BUT I'm willing to advise you and guide you through the diagnostic process IF you feel confident that you can do the actual testing on your end. Shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

!@#$%
09-06-2008, 06:26 AM
So what's the purpose of that canister labeled #9 in that diagram?

talonXracer
09-06-2008, 06:28 AM
haynes manual = bible.

Haynes = CRAP

The one and only manual to have is the Helms manual, all the others like chiltons and Haynes are full of misleading/incorrect info.

robhep3
09-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Haynes = CRAP

The one and only manual to have is the Helms manual, all the others like chiltons and Haynes are full of misleading/incorrect info.

I'm sure he just mistyped and meant Helms, Doug...

talonXracer
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm sure he just mistyped and meant Helms, Doug...

That wasnt just for him, but for anyone else reading the thread. I would hate to see someone steered the wrong way.

slo_k20
09-06-2008, 05:34 PM
You CAN buy the filter without buying the whole pump assembly, the part number can be found in my thread, I believe it's called Fuel Delivery Problem. The filter was around 60 bucks maybe, and imo you might be better off buying the whole pump assembly for $170 or so. I did that in the end, and if I did that first I would have saved myself from a 4 month nightmare of problems.

civicSIracer
09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
9 is an evap canister used for emissions

thanismo
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
thanks guys