PDA

View Full Version : Hid issue

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 05:35 AM
One of my Hid driving light's has decided to act up. When the bulb just flashs ever so briefly, that is usually the Ballast correct?

Aug
09-02-2008, 05:46 AM
That's usually a problem associated with a wire connection.

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 05:48 AM
All connections are tight and clean, that was the first thing I checked.

Aug
09-02-2008, 05:52 AM
I figured that.. I feel really uncomfortable giving you advice, haha

I'd send you a ballast to see if it'd help.. But I gave both my extras to mike (thisisagame24)

Only other thing I can offer is to try a new bulb, but if it's both of them, that probably isn't the problem

D3xn2o
09-02-2008, 06:58 AM
OMG Doug needs advice... :meek:

lol yea it is kinda weird trying to help you out

Anyway in my experience When the HID Bulb flickers very bright every so often its a sign that your bulb is about to go... happened to me a few times unfortunately

Although it can be the ballast but knowing you. you have to have some decent brand HID's in your car either way goodluck :mcool:

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 05:06 PM
It is a very brief flash when the lights are first turned on and then nothing for that side.

Yeah I havnt had to do any troubleshooting with my Hid's yet. This isnt for my headlights, but for my Hella Driving lights. They use the same bulb as the CTR Hid projectors but with a narrow beam and no shield. I think it may be the ballast, but I wasnt sure.

oneglory
09-02-2008, 05:50 PM
sounds like the bulb is going.

is the ballast making any strange noises? Louder buzz than normal? A whine?

D3xn2o
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
sounds like the bulb is going.

is the ballast making any strange noises? Louder buzz than normal? A whine?

:yeahthat:?

honda4eva89
09-02-2008, 07:37 PM
i dont think i've ever seen Doug asking for help before

phister
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
A great way to see if its the bulb or ballast is to just switch the bulbs around. If the buld flickers on the other ballast then its your bulb, but if it doesnt its going to be your ballast. Same thing happened to my friends HID and he found out he was sent a bad ballast.

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah and seeing all I have to do is just disconnect the plugs on the back of the bulbs/housings to try that, I will be taking the bumper cover off and giving it a try.

frm_808
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
just curious on where exactly did u guys mount ur ballasts? i got mine from our vendor here and theres not much to do with mounting with that short oem harness pigtail.

Tnhatch03
09-02-2008, 09:34 PM
stuff it between the fenders.

on the 03-04+ EPs there are black covers that go along the fender. pop that off and stuff it in there.

frm_808
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
stuff it between the fenders.

on the 03-04+ EPs there are black covers that go along the fender. pop that off and stuff it in there.

hmmm ill try that this weekend maybe. if i feel like taking off the fenders:mtongue: one of them i got double sticky tape and taped it to the battery box. pass side i just stickied it to the frame lil sketch bout that one the most

Tnhatch03
09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
does your have the plastic cover between the engine? you do not have to remove the fenders at all. take the plastic piece off and wedge it in there. i hope we are talking about the same thing. haha

maybe i can show you when i am in vegas. :-)

frm_808
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
haha ya that sounds good to me. idk didnt look outside its too dark. itll hold for now

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Yeah I have the ballasts mounted to the rebar so the bumper cover has got to come off I do believe.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0191.jpg

MOOGEN
09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
It's not the burners, its your dieing ballast. The internal ignitor is turning on but the ballast is no longer sending electricity. I've had theses issues before with aftermarket ballast that have built in ignitors. That's why most oem won't come with internal ignitors.

There's one way to check to make sure whether or not its the burners. Take the side that works and plug it into the side that doesn't work. If the side that flickers does not turn on even after that then you know you need a new ballast. If it does turn on then you know you need a new set of burners. Remember, hid bulbs are not like halogen bulbs because of their aging process so when changing them out it's always good to change both or one side will be dimmer than the other.

jh604
09-04-2008, 12:36 PM
i had this problem before and it was my relay harness =[??? if that helps

BlueEP3
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
mine acts up as well and also im having issues starting my car up like it would click like if the battery is dead but i am able to start it after playing with the clutch and the ignition key. so im thinking my battery is whats causing the flickering in the hids and my startup problem. if anyone has any suggestions please PM me...

civiCholo
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
ballasts... happened to me...