PDA

View Full Version : Wax then Polish, is this okay?

S0CalEP3
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
hey guys just bought some " polish sealant" and I was wondering if I can first wax the car then put this over the wax? is that okay or just dumb? The polish and sealant contains no wax. Thanks!

Blackexcoupe
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Most full details involve
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Rewash or wipe off residue
4. Polish
5. Sealant
6. Wax

If you wax first the polish will just remove it.

nrengle
09-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Wax should always be the last step product. Most sealants actually bond to the paint, but require about 12-24 hours of cure time before you should do anything else to it. After you put your sealant on, let it cure, and then you can top with wax. Usually the next day.

What polish/sealant do you have and what wax?

Some waxes will remove the underlying layer when you apply it. So if it's a cleaner wax it will remove part or all of the sealant. You need to use a pure carnauba wax for topping the sealant.

S0CalEP3
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
i got turtle wax that gonna remove the polish sealant?

nrengle
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
More than likely. What's the polish/sealant combo? If it's the off the shelf stuff from Walmart Turtle Wax it's got cleaners in it, so that will remove the underlying layer...

S0CalEP3
09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah ugh reading the turtle wax and it says "Carnauba Cleaner Wax" So im guessing its just gonna clean the polish sealant right off?

nrengle
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeap. It'll take that sealant right off. You'll need a pure Carnauba for it. Mothers makes one that's available at Pep Boys, or you can use Meguiers if you can find their pure Carnauba.