PDA

View Full Version : DIY: SSR Rear Re-bar Modified for JDM Bumper Install

Blue03Si
09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Picked up the modified rear re-bar this last Friday had it installed on Sunday in about 30 minutes. The modified re-bar does not come with the mounting holes drilled. You will need to add those yourself. You will need an extra set of hands for this install. Sorry for the lack of pics, I forgot my camera when I was doing the install.

Step 1: Prep rear end for install. Make sure bumper is off and you have all 4 nuts that hold the re-bar in place.

Step 2: Practice putting the bar against the bolts so that they are touching where you want to drill the holes. This is important because you don't want to mess up the next step.

Step 3: Put some paint on the tips of the 4 bolts that hold the re-bar in place. I found a quart of white paint in the garage and just shock it around a little. This coated the top of the quart nicely. I just popped the lid off and pressed the lid against the two bolts on each side. No mess.

Step 4: With your buddy carefully position the re-bar against your painted bolts so the paint transfers to the locations where the holes will need to be.

Step 5: Let the paint dry a little and get your drill ready. I drilled the holes about 2mm larger than the bolt it self. This allowed for a little misalignment on the drilling to be forgiven. If you have an automatic center punch you can use it to mark where you want to drill to lessen any drill walk when you start.

Step 6: Have your buddy stand on the re-bar to hold it in place while your drilling. This was the easiest thing we came up with to keep it steady. Drill your holes.

Step 7: Mount re-bar to car and re-install rear bumper.

Step 8: Enjoy!

marksoto
09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello and good right up. I purchased a JDM rebar and am looking to install it. I know I will have to do modifications to make it work on my car. Was was hoping you know what SSR did to make the Rebar work on your car.

Regards.

Blue03Si
09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
It looks like it was just modifying the USDM bar by un-welding the current mounting points and welding a plate in place of them. If there is more to it I can't comment. Probably some trade secrets involved too that I can't comment on. All I can say was it fit like a charm. You should hit Wayne up if you want to buy one from him.

marksoto
09-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks, that helps. I let you know what I did when I install my rear bumper.