PDA

View Full Version : Map sensor issue on K24a2?

davisj3537
09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Well I installed a k24a2 into a base rsx and we are having problems with the idle. It runs exactly like if you were to tap the wrong map sensor location on a rbc for the 05-06 models. It is running the stock tsx manifold and currently I'm using the map location on the manifold. I tried switching it to the TB to check but it wont even start when plugged in there. Anybody have any ideas? Still using the base engine harness and already modified the tps sensor.

I also posted this on hondata but have gotten no response yet.

Guardian
09-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Check for vacuum leaks. Tighten IM TB TB adapter. Check brake booster hose and hose on the left side. Did you use a gasket on both sides of the adapter?

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Well I installed a k24a2 into a base rsx and we are having problems with the idle. It runs exactly like if you were to tap the wrong map sensor location on a rbc for the 05-06 models. It is running the stock tsx manifold and currently I'm using the map location on the manifold. I tried switching it to the TB to check but it wont even start when plugged in there.

?:shrug:?

Not sure what you are saying the issue is, never heard of having to tap the RBC for the MAP sensor.

Guardian
09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
He's talking about using the port on the rbc instead of the TB, but it doesn't mater which one you use

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
My engine runs far smoother with the map sensor on the RBC mani. You can even see the difference in the MAP positions in Kpro and document it on datalogs very quickly and easily. The TB position creates a much larger fluctuation in the MAP reading.

davisj3537
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Check for vacuum leaks. Tighten IM TB TB adapter. Check brake booster hose and hose on the left side. Did you use a gasket on both sides of the adapter?

It is not acting like vaccum leak. The idle dips bad and dies. I used two gaskets. I checked it all man.

He's talking about using the port on the rbc instead of the TB, but it doesn't mater which one you use

Exactly....on the 05-06 rsx's you have to use the port on the rbc or it runs with a super low idle and dies like the car is doing now.

Guardian
09-02-2008, 01:42 PM
The car could die like that with a vac leak, do the rpms bounce at all?

It could be in the tune

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 01:51 PM
What is the MAP reading while at idle? In Mbar

davisj3537
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
The car could die like that with a vac leak, do the rpms bounce at all?

It could be in the tune

The idle is set at 1000 in kpro and it sets at a steady 500rpms and dies completely if it is warmed up.

davisj3537
09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
What is the MAP reading while at idle? In Mbar

I wont be able to check that till this coming weekend...but that is a good idea. I never really looked at it:mconfused:

davisj3537
09-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Once awhile back on a different car I didn't drill the hole in the IMG when installing a rbc and it ran like this. But I never unbolted the tsx manifold...it would have been bolted up right since it ran good in the tsx before it got pulled. I checked and double checked the vaccum lines. I have two map sensors and tried them both in both locations:mconfused:

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 03:06 PM
MAP and TPS connectors are not switched around are they? Is the IAC operating correctly? Connector OK?

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
All drilling the IMG does is allow the AAV to operate. And I havnt installed or used a AAV in over 4 years. Could the IMG's PRB spec hole be partially exposed?

See if you feel any vacuum with your fingers over the IAC hole. Do you have another TB to try?

civicsibaby04
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
MAP and TPS connectors are not switched around are they? Is the IAC operating correctly? Connector OK?

that happen to me when i did my tsx swap. i pluged them in backwards an the car would not run unless i was pressing the gas. it was also dumping alot of gas. i also messed up my map sensor. but once i switched them back car ran great. i miss my swap:mcry:

miaep3
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
you said it runs fine if u have it connected to the manifold but not by the throttle body why not just have it connected on the manifold.

talonXracer
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
If you are useing the Base engine harness, make sure the runner position sensor isnt accidentlly connected.

davisj3537
09-03-2008, 06:02 AM

They are not switched. How do I know if the IAC is operating correctly?

All drilling the IMG does is allow the AAV to operate. And I havnt installed or used a AAV in over 4 years. Could the IMG's PRB spec hole be partially exposed?

See if you feel any vacuum with your fingers over the IAC hole. Do you have another TB to try?

Partially exposed PRB(what is that)? By IAC hole do you mean the coolant ports on it? I don't have another throttle body:mcry:

If you are useing the Base engine harness, make sure the runner position sensor isnt accidentlly connected.

Its not:mwink: I didn't connect it and the other sensor(I think some sort of EGR on top of the manifold next to the power steering)

davisj3537
09-03-2008, 06:03 AM
you said it runs fine if u have it connected to the manifold but not by the throttle body why not just have it connected on the manifold.

It barely runs connected to the manifold and doesn't run at all connected to the tb.

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 07:04 AM
They are not switched. How do I know if the IAC is operating correctly?

Partially exposed PRB(what is that)? By IAC hole do you mean the coolant ports on it? I don't have another throttle body:mcry:

Its not:mwink: I didn't connect it and the other sensor(I think some sort of EGR on top of the manifold next to the power steering)

Check IAC by placing your finger over the hole in the TB bore that feeds the IAC. If the IAC is not operating, the TB location for the MAP wouldnt get a proper vacuum signal as the IAC passageway bypasses the TB.

There is a hole already in the IMG that corresponds to the inlet on the IM for the AAV. Make sure that isnt exposed at all with the RBB mani.

The plug over by the PS pump is the actual runner control, on the opposite end of the runner is the runner position sensor(looks like a TPS).

davisj3537
09-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Check IAC by placing your finger over the hole in the TB bore that feeds the IAC. If the IAC is not operating, the TB location for the MAP wouldnt get a proper vacuum signal as the IAC passageway bypasses the TB.

There is a hole already in the IMG that corresponds to the inlet on the IM for the AAV. Make sure that isnt exposed at all with the RBB mani.

The plug over by the PS pump is the actual runner control, on the opposite end of the runner is the runner position sensor(looks like a TPS).

You mean I should block off the hole in the IMG? Sorry I'm still a tad confused. I understand where the holes are and what they go to but not quite sure if I was supposed to change anything from stock.

PAPITUYO326
09-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Switching the TPS and Map sensor can cause damage to the Map unit. I had this happen a while back on my first k24. Be sure you haven't switched the sensors. Also, any datalogs of startup attempts wouldnt hurt.

davisj3537
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Switching the TPS and Map sensor can cause damage to the Map unit. I had this happen a while back on my first k24. Be sure you haven't switched the sensors. Also, any datalogs of startup attempts wouldnt hurt.

I know I'm pretty sure I didn't switch them up. The tps is seperate from the purge control valve and the map.

miaep3
09-03-2008, 05:31 PM
what color are the wires on the plug that u have connected to the tps

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 05:40 PM
You mean I should block off the hole in the IMG? Sorry I'm still a tad confused. I understand where the holes are and what they go to but not quite sure if I was supposed to change anything from stock.

I was just asking if the RBB mani covered all the existing holes and nothing was leaking basically.

Did you make sure to seal the bolt heads on the Karcepts adaptor with RTV before installing the TB?

davisj3537
09-04-2008, 06:07 AM
what color are the wires on the plug that u have connected to the tps

Well I don't have them to look at right now but I know the tps is plugged in right cuz on the base rsx harness you have to swap the tps wires 123 to 321 and it wouldn't run if I hadn't swapped them. I get an accurate tps reading when datalogging.

I was just asking if the RBB mani covered all the existing holes and nothing was leaking basically.

Did you make sure to seal the bolt heads on the Karcepts adaptor with RTV before installing the TB?

Ah ok. I'm following. Yes I sealed it up with some RTV:mwink: I'm getting a datalog this weekend to add in here. Hopefully that will answer some questions.

civicsibaby04
09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
what year tsx motor did you swap in the car. if its 06+ there something wrong with the intake mani that wont allow you to run the karcepts adapter on it. it can only be used on 04-05 tsx mani.

davisj3537
09-05-2008, 07:18 AM
what year tsx motor did you swap in the car. if its 06+ there something wrong with the intake mani that wont allow you to run the karcepts adapter on it. it can only be used on 04-05 tsx mani.

Oh shit...it is a 06. Whats wrong with the manifold?

civicsibaby04
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
this is what they told me on k20a.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsibaby05
why wont the adapter plate work on an 06 tsx mani????

It will bolt up, but an 06+ TSX mani does not have the idle porting for the IACV like the 04-05 TSX mani does. Because of this, you will have to manually hold idle until the car warms up (this could get very annoying on a street car). Alternatively, you could take a ported Karcepts adapter (P/N: KIM02) and then drill and tap a 1/8" NPT port on the bottom of the adapter to achieve an air source for the IACV and then run a short line from there to one of the ports on the side of the adapter. This short line will provide a passageway into the manifold such that you can maintain a functional IACV.

Hope that helps...

miaep3
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh shit...it is a 06. Whats wrong with the manifold?

yea u can not run the 06 tsx manifold on there. it is u'r iac thats giving u problems cause of the open for the throttle body the tsx mani. dose not allow for the iac to bypass.

talonXracer
09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
That would explain a hell of a lot! LOL The damn IAC wasnt even working, that would explain the lack of felt pressure from the IAC opening.

civicsibaby04
09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
all you need to do is get an intake mani from an 04-05 Tsx an you good.

talonXracer
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
You could just do a little drilling and or maching and get it to work from what I had seen.

Can someone Post up a pic of a 06+TSX mani at the TB opening please?

davisj3537
09-08-2008, 08:01 AM
I did have to do some machining but it was very minor.
Here is an idle datalog and the tune I'm using. The throttle cable has been adjusted a bit to manually raise the idle so it wont die till I get this fixed.

1059Datalog
1060Tune

davisj3537
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Bump for datalog and tune:mcry:

davisj3537
09-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Poop!