PDA

View Full Version : axles poped out help!!

jh604
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
so I'm installing my coilovers and my axles poped out. I've tried spinning and trying to push it in but it's not working. Does any one have any tips or suggestions? Please help!!

Thanks on advance to all the helpers and suggestions

-Jordan

charles
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
my only advice is........push harder. it took me like 30min to put my axel back in place.

mustclime
09-02-2008, 01:19 PM
1) loosely thread on the 3 top strut nuts.
2) put in the lower bolt on the strut/knuckel( yes it will go in with the axel out)
3) put the palm of your hand on the uppermost part of the knuckel( where the upper bolt goes through)
4) now turn the disk while leaning in on the upper knuckel,if it "feels" close, smack it with a dead blow hammer......have fun.

jh604
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
hmm I'm trying but it doesn't feel anywhere "close" it all feels the same. So I connect the top knucke bolt to the lower bolt hole on the coilovers?

godzilapimpinn
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
that happend to me installing mine.. you just have to play with it

The new Paul03
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
I had to pull the boot off and put mine back in. They were out of the car though.

jh604
09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I was thnking of taking theboot off but I dont know how and if I do how do I put it back in. These ways aren't really working. Anyone else?

MugenReplica
09-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Another trick I have heard about is to throw your spare donut onto the hub (don't forget the lug nuts) and use it like a steering wheel to line it up and jiggle it back in.

Pez
09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
i feel your pain. i had the same problem couple weeks ago.
i had to popped the boot out, used my fingers to line the axle back up to the three bearings. then i re-greased it with some axle grease and put the boot back on.
it was a dirty job.

shortstop
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
i lowered my car a few weeks ago and both axles popped out. we had 1 person turn the rotor, 1 person push like theres no tomorrow, and the 3rd turn the steering wheel back and forth and they popped in after like 5 minutes. DONT GIVE UP!!!

jerseyjew
09-02-2008, 05:33 PM
I know it is extremely frustrating and seems like it will never go back together, but trust me it eventuallly will. There is no need to remove the boot, although it helps. You just have to continue to move the knuckle back and forth, up and down while pressing and it will sort of just suck itself back in.

socmex7
09-02-2008, 05:51 PM
put your ep in gear, mine didn't go in till i put it in a gear...

sLiCk
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Need to be a little more specific here... What exactly popped out? Shaft popped out of tranny? Outboard shaft popped out of knuckle? Inboard cv joint seperated? Outboard cv joint seperated?

EPSpeedKing
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I've been through this before too, just follow the advise others have given and it should eventually pop back in. Good Luck.

03Si757
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Try this, disconnect the LCA from the sub frame, then take the whole assembly and push it sum what to the front side of the car in the wheel well, while slightly pulling on the axle (not to much) and wiggle it around a bit. I had this happened NUMORUS times while messing with numerous things

dichotomous
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
here is the problem, there are three little balls that normally rest in slots in a cup, thats how the joint works, these balls are on the outer axel side held by a spider and are spring loaded outwards against the joint slots, and if you pull the axel out too far, they pop out. you can feel them under the rubber boot. the fix is really really easy, just push them in and push in the axel, I will now include a picture to demonstrate. someone save this pic because my photobucket might not always be around and I'd like this to stay
top two pictures are the axel and joint, one looking cross section from the side and one from looking straight at it (the right side picture, looks like if there were no dust boot, conceptually at least). they are in the happy normal operational state. the bottom two show where the axel has popped out and the axel wont go back in. just press the balls in as shown, and it slip right in. took me 5 seconds once I figured this out.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dichotomous/Si/axelpop.jpg

enjoy

Nitrofaint
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
dichotomous you are a great artist, such skill!

Nice illustration though.

dichotomous
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
sneaking that into my REAL work of designing a major college's new quad's stormwater pickup and treatment system without getting caught and THATS what ya get.... I'm actually really good at making beautiful drawings.

03Si757
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
The only problem is is actually squeezing those balls back into the joint.

BeaterEP
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
This is why doing my own suspension work scares me :mtongue:

jh604
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
AHHH easier than i though...ive read about the crazy axle popping out but its all fine. the first side i did (driver) popped out and it took me 3-4 hours to put back in. i must say MugenReplica give me the advice about putting on the spare wheel and using it as a steering wheel and poping it back in WORKS!!. the passengerside only took me 10-15 minutes. i held the spare wheel at 9 and 6 or a little lower and using my shoulder to lean in on it and slowly spinning it and leaning in. i heard clinks and clunks then i put my hands on the very bottom of the spare wheel and and pulled up with my shoulder and it popped back in.

spydur
09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Last night I was installing my front HFP spring and strut units. The passenger side went smoothly. Unfortunately, the driver's side did not as the axle apparently popped out leaving the brake caliper sitting at approximately at a 70 degree angle. I could not get the axle to go back in. I came in the house to look for a DYI on getting the axle back in and was fortunate to find this current thread which addressed my immediate problem.

I took Mustclime's advice and loosely installed the strut/spring unit by the three upper nuts and inserted the lower bolt that connects the brake unit to the strut/spring unit. I then slowly turned the brake disc, but it never felt like it was aligning up - after an hour or so I gave up for the night. Today, I found Dichotomous' fine CAD drawings and his instructions and I think "now I can do it". I went out to the garage, I reached into the motor side of the axle boot to find the balls, but I didn't feel any balls to press. Now I'm not an expert at feeling for balls, but it doesn't seem like this should be so challenging!

Any additional advise would be helpful - I know I don't want to remove the boot!

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

SinisterCivicSi
09-04-2008, 01:24 PM
looks like this thread helped more than one person out, great job guys with the advice and illustrations!

this is sticky worthy.. so now we wont have 15 threads on the same thing, anyone with a loose axle can just click on this thread!

SinisterCivicSi
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM
my mistake guys, it was brought to my attention that i closed the thread - i clicked on the wrong option....

noob moment.

the thread is now open - :mbiggrin:

jh604
09-05-2008, 11:28 AM
HOOOORAYYY!!! now my idle sounds weird...a slight very slight noise

ep3moschini
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
HOOOORAYYY!!! now my idle sounds weird...a slight very slight noise

well I can almost 100% gaurntee that your idle would have nothing to do with your axle :gheywa:

maestro
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
is it almost a gurantee that the axles will pop out? seems like it is imminent

spydur
09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
here is the problem, there are three little balls that normally rest in slots in a cup, thats how the joint works, these balls are on the outer axel side held by a spider and are spring loaded outwards against the joint slots, and if you pull the axel out too far, they pop out. you can feel them under the rubber boot. the fix is really really easy, just push them in and push in the axel, I will now include a picture to demonstrate. someone save this pic because my photobucket might not always be around and I'd like this to stay
top two pictures are the axel and joint, one looking cross section from the side and one from looking straight at it (the right side picture, looks like if there were no dust boot, conceptually at least). they are in the happy normal operational state. the bottom two show where the axel has popped out and the axel wont go back in. just press the balls in as shown, and it slip right in. took me 5 seconds once I figured this out.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dichotomous/Si/axelpop.jpg

enjoy

As my prior posting on this thread states I am currently trying to pop the driver's side axle back in. Since I'm having a hard time, I thought I would look at the Service Manual posted in the DIY section. FWIW, Section 16 of the 2003 Service Manual shows the "Balls" mounted (not spring loaded in a channel) on the "Spider" with "Rollers" sitting on the "Balls". From the way it is shown, I didn't see how the "Balls" could be pressed in. Is there a difference in design of the "Spider" for different model years?

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

SinisterCivicSi
09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
is it almost a gurantee that the axles will pop out? seems like it is imminent

if you dont secure the axles - YES - its about a 99.9% they will pop out. to avoid this, get something to tie the rotor up to the engine bay to "hold" the axle in place.

having another set of hands to hold the rotor from pushing out is helpful also.

popping the axles back in is tricky. on my ep i had one out and my fiance worked on it about 1.5 hours and it finally went back in. then on his rsx, he worked on his axle that was out for a GOOD hour - got pissed and i told him to walk away. i said "fuck it" and tried, i got it in 10 minutes. the other side he got back in almost instantly.

the thing that always helped us is that we would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission, then sway it back and forth slightly.... all at the same time. once its lined up the axle kinda sucks itself back in.

the next k series we worked on we tied the rotors up.... no axle out, it made the job ALOT quicker.

SinisterCivicSi
09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
this is exactly what it looks like... if you can see from this pic

*compliments of last years MDBBQ*

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/SinisterCivicSi/MDBBQ07/_MG_1662small.jpg

ep3moschini
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Just dont do this. . . :mcry:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_2579.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_2576.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Buryingthesun/IMG_2575.jpg

SinisterCivicSi
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
lol bruce's was a much cleaner break... that tarred track helped i guess. lol

4angrybadgers
09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
My axles popped out several times tonight (installing HFP suspension) and a few times in the past. I just slowly rotated the brake rotor while pushing in on the assembly - within a minute the axle lined up and popped back in.

Nitrofaint
09-08-2008, 06:58 AM
sneaking that into my REAL work of designing a major college's new quad's stormwater pickup and treatment system without getting caught and THATS what ya get.... I'm actually really good at making beautiful drawings.

:mcool: I wanted to go into drafting and designing area back in high school, but never followed through. I should have stayed with it.

I am surprised how some of you have been able to pop your axles in. My first coilover install was a nightmare and I could not get them to go in without removing the boot. PITA!!!!

spydur
09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
if you dont secure the axles - YES - its about a 99.9% they will pop out. to avoid this, get something to tie the rotor up to the engine bay to "hold" the axle in place.

having another set of hands to hold the rotor from pushing out is helpful also.

popping the axles back in is tricky. on my ep i had one out and my fiance worked on it about 1.5 hours and it finally went back in. then on his rsx, he worked on his axle that was out for a GOOD hour - got pissed and i told him to walk away. i said "fuck it" and tried, i got it in 10 minutes. the other side he got back in almost instantly.

the thing that always helped us is that we would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission, then sway it back and forth slightly.... all at the same time. once its lined up the axle kinda sucks itself back in.

the next k series we worked on we tied the rotors up.... no axle out, it made the job ALOT quicker.

SinisterCivicSi:

My popped out driver's side axle is sitting at an approximate 70 degree angle and is suspended by the lower bolt on the brake assembly from a new, loosely fitted HFP strut/spring assembly (method suggested by Mustclime).

So far, none of the other suggestions have worked for me. I was looking at your thread but, I'm confused as to how one would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission then sway it back and forth slightly. Could you expand on your description? Is the brake assembly totally free of the new strut/spring assembly? Have you already rotated the rotor and found the proper location for the joint so the axle can pop back in? Any additional insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

jh604
09-09-2008, 01:30 AM
SinisterCivicSi:

My popped out driver's side axle is sitting at an approximate 70 degree angle and is suspended by the lower bolt on the brake assembly from a new, loosely fitted HFP strut/spring assembly (method suggested by Mustclime).

So far, none of the other suggestions have worked for me. I was looking at your thread but, I'm confused as to how one would push down on the entire rotor assembly while pushing the top of the rotor towards the transmission then sway it back and forth slightly. Could you expand on your description? Is the brake assembly totally free of the new strut/spring assembly? Have you already rotated the rotor and found the proper location for the joint so the axle can pop back in? Any additional insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

have you given the spare tire trick? that thing helpd me the most and after i did it on one side the other side was cake.

spydur
09-09-2008, 05:31 AM
have you given the spare tire trick? that thing helpd me the most and after i did it on one side the other side was cake.

jh604:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried the spare tire trick. I guess the reason it didn't work for me is that my car is on stands in my garage and not up on a lift. Therefore, I can't get as much leverage (standing, pushing up and using my shoulder) and the spare adds quite a bit of weight. I even tried to take a 1" x 6", drill bolt pattern holes in it so I could mount it to the hub, but I discovered the bolt studs aren't long enough to do this.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

jh604
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
jh604:

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried the spare tire trick. I guess the reason it didn't work for me is that my car is on stands in my garage and not up on a lift. Therefore, I can't get as much leverage (standing, pushing up and using my shoulder) and the spare adds quite a bit of weight. I even tried to take a 1" x 6", drill bolt pattern holes in it so I could mount it to the hub, but I discovered the bolt studs aren't long enough to do this.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

mine were also on stands on my drive way. i put on the spare with 2 lugs on so it wont fall off. made sure the wheel was straight(i dont think is matters) but anyways made it straight held it at around 4 oclock and 8 o clock some where lower so you can lift up at the same time as spinning. i applied lots of pressure with my shoulder ( legs pushing up so my arms can spin it ) and spun is slowly and tried to hear the "clunk or cling" after i got that i continued to spin it and every rotation it would " cling or clunk " at the same spot. then lifted up with quite an amount of force and it popped back in.

spydur
09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
FINALLY!!!!

I just managed to get my axle to pop back in. Thanks to all of you who posted ways to accomplish this feat. After four frustrating attempts, I put the spare on for the second time, pushed, turned and in less than five minutes it partially went in ... then, I rotated the wheel slowly while pushing and it went in the rest of the way. I was almost shocked, but happy because this frustrating experience was behind me.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

jh604
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
FINALLY!!!!

I just managed to get my axle to pop back in. Thanks to all of you who posted ways to accomplish this feat. After four frustrating attempts, I put the spare on for the second time, pushed, turned and in less than five minutes it partially went in ... then, I rotated the wheel slowly while pushing and it went in the rest of the way. I was almost shocked, but happy because this frustrating experience was behind me.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

YAHOO!!! haha celebration...it just takes time and it will go in

dichotomous
09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
sorry, yeah its the rotors that sit on the balls, I was going for a simple easy to understand thing, squeeze in and go you know. it does help to have the car in gear while doing this.

02ES1
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I've worked on other civic suspensions in the past and never had this problem, but it happened when I put coilovers on my EP3, does anyone know why this happens so easily on these cars?

satanicboner666
06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
this problem completely eliminates the "hondas are easy to work on" stereotype. i've done many things on many makes and models of cars and this was by far the most frustrating thing ive ever ran in to. getting it back in place though was an amazing feeling lol

tlikethedrink
02-27-2011, 08:49 PM
i got a new one to add:

my axles popped out too. both of them. i installed sportlines today. the driver side popped back in after using the whole spare tire trick with me trying to feel the balls lol.
the problem i have now is the passanger side, tho it popped back in, has this crazy wobble to it at 35+mph... its bad. i havent taken it over 45. just did a quick up and around the block. first i thought the lugs were torqued in the wrong order. so i pulled all 4 wheels and put them back together. took it for another drive and still pretty bad. im not even going to risk it on the freeway. it pulls to the right too. has to be the axle right?
Solution? should i try and pop it completely out again?
i have the wheel off now. i dont see anything obvious. when i turn the axle by rotating the rotor i see a little bit of wobble. i tried feeling for bearings but i didnt feel anything earlier. ill try again in a bit. is it possible that the axle is screwed? that would suck, but if it is i rather just replace/fixit than waste my time.

RHCP0801
02-27-2011, 08:57 PM
are you sure its popped in all the way, if it is than yea you need a new axle

tlikethedrink
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
im guessing its in. its bolted together fine after alittle wiggiling. ill try to pull it again. its worth a shot if i have to buy a new one...

tlikethedrink
02-27-2011, 09:35 PM
it felt like it had a little play in it compared to the driver side... i could move the shaft maybe 1/16 of an inch. "enough to make noise"
i went ahead and intentionally popped it out again. in the process of putting it back together now. ill put it all back together and take it for a drive- if not, im gonna send it to this place intown that rebuilt one for me for 75 bucks. it only took a day or two.

tlikethedrink
02-27-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2004-Honda-Civic-SI/CV-Axle/_/N-jm6j5Z6o2dc

decided to look it up incase... does this seem right?

tlikethedrink
02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum//showthread.php?62225-cv-axle-removal-install

AKEP
03-01-2011, 02:00 AM
when im trying to put the drivers side axle in the transmission, do i push and wiggle it with the donut on also? im having problems pushing it in

MBaG
03-01-2011, 02:18 PM
when im trying to put the drivers side axle in the transmission, do i push and wiggle it with the donut on also? im having problems pushing it in

I pushed like hell and turned slowly with the car in reverse. First time it took me more than an hour, and second time took about 1-2 minutes.

tlikethedrink
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM

yeah, i would try and have somebody feel the boot. once you kinda feel it, you can push in the bearings so the axle can slide back in. it literally took me 15 secs to put in the driver side once i did that. actually my cousin was turning the spare while i felt it. once aligned, it only took a slight push.

Rekognize
03-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions, I managed to pop my axle back in with the help of the "spare tire and lower bolt in strut/knuckel" trick

G-MaC!
05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
+1 For the spare tire trick, -1 for having a full size spare.

jayzuz
02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
where do u guys recommend to buy the axles? i need to replace mine my car shakes:/

mitchlikesbikes
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
so is it possible for the inner cv to pop out as well as the outer one? my inner one is still in the trans but the boot is all stretched out and it looks pretty fucked. i also can't push it back in to get my LCA seated again because the axle will not recompress. what happened?:(

mitchlikesbikes
07-06-2012, 01:13 PM
so i think i got my axle popped back properly. i haven't driven the car yet though so i honestly have no idea.

captaingamez
04-04-2013, 09:21 AM
so I have found that the best way to install most suspension and suspension related things on the EP is basically to remove the axles from the tranny FIRST, the passenger is easy as hell, just take the 3 bolts off the transaxle and pull out, with the drivers side, you get a short tire iron, and shove it between the trans and the axle, then push with your LEGS.

should you have a CV joint pop out you should pray first and then try what I do, disconnect the shock from the knuckle, and literally jump into the knuckle kicking it. you want to make sure you axle is in the transmission for this though. this is the only method I have found that works for me and I have been doing it for years.

the axles on our cars are prone to doing this mainly because honda is A BUNCH OF COMPLETE MORONS, there is supposed to be a retaining ring in the CV joint which doesnt allow those balls from coming out, why honda decided to do it this way makes me seriously wonder what they were thinking.

and I wonder if the CTR and ITR have cv joints that pop out like this?

bung
09-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Hey fellas I need some help! I tried to tie the axle up when removing the knuckle during dis-assembly.. but I was too careless (and alone) when trying to re-assemble everything and I'm fairly certain I popped it.

I monkey'd with it a bit trying to get a feel for "its out" and "its in" but I'm really not sure. Everything connected back together losely and in place, here is a quick 1minute video of the movement of the drive shaft:

(bit loud sorry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7wDWxbJWM

Hopefully someone can tell just by looking! As I see it I have two options:

1. I can take the boot off and see for myself right? What tool do you need to take that clip off without damaging it, just needlenose pliers? Do I *have* to re-grease if I take the boot off just briefly?

2. While it's jacked up, with no wheels on, I could put the car in first, start it, and just tap the throttle and see what happens? lol scary.

Thanks for any help!!!

P.S. New LCA bushings and a new ball joint went on.

P.P.S. When I say I was monkey'ing with it, basically just moving it around, turning it, pressing on it, etc. is what I've googled about CV joints popping / referencing suggestions from these two threads:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=472836
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=713114

ep3_
09-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Hey fellas I need some help! I tried to tie the axle up when removing the knuckle during dis-assembly.. but I was too careless (and alone) when trying to re-assemble everything and I'm fairly certain I popped it.

I monkey'd with it a bit trying to get a feel for "its out" and "its in" but I'm really not sure. Everything connected back together losely and in place, here is a quick 1minute video of the movement of the drive shaft:

(bit loud sorry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7wDWxbJWM

Hopefully someone can tell just by looking! As I see it I have two options:

1. I can take the boot off and see for myself right? What tool do you need to take that clip off without damaging it, just needlenose pliers? Do I *have* to re-grease if I take the boot off just briefly?

2. While it's jacked up, with no wheels on, I could put the car in first, start it, and just tap the throttle and see what happens? lol scary.

Thanks for any help!!!

P.S. New LCA bushings and a new ball joint went on.

P.P.S. When I say I was monkey'ing with it, basically just moving it around, turning it, pressing on it, etc. is what I've googled about CV joints popping / referencing suggestions from these two threads:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=472836
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=713114

if you put the axle nut on, there's no play correct?

bung
09-14-2015, 08:24 AM
if you put the axle nut on, there's no play correct?

Yep if the nut is on, there is no play, thats correct... edit: but I'm still nervous that I can push that shaft "in" towards the transmission so much. If it was seated correctly does it really have that much play?

ep3_
09-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Yep if the nut is on, there is no play, thats correct...

If that's the case, it should be fine. The splines will go in as much as they need to. There should be a cir-clip on the axle that secures the axles to the transmission