PDA

View Full Version : Satellite radio install

.F1
09-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey i'm looking for ideas on how to do a sat radio install (either sirius or xm) but I want it stealth and as indiscreet as possible. Also, ideally something that I don't have to unplug and carry with me each time I leave the car to prevent theft (so that means no aftermarket HU when I have to bring the faceplate everywhere). I'd like to keep my OEM deck installed.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or is this just not possible?

SiN05
09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I think its pretty much not possible. As far as I know you either have to deal with a portable XM/Sirius or go with an aftermarket headunit w/ tuner. http://www.tss-radio.com/ may be able to help you, supposedly they are really helpful.

In-Dash stock radios (http://www.tss-radio.com/for-the-car-dash-for-stock-radios-c-23_242_406.html) - I donno if anything there is gonna help you for what you looking for its mostly for cars who already have XM tuners like newer honda/acura

phister
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
yeah you have to either have a headunit with the xm/sirus compatiblity or have a portable one. Also just recently xm and sirus has joined together to make a single satellite radio station so now you can get both for the price of one. I thing they're still trying to figure out how to work with the stations and go through some guidelines.

.F1
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I wonder if there are any really tiny receiver units available that could be installed somewhere in the car where it's not super visible to theives, but still visible enough to be usable. Like a turbo timer or something...

VegaS10
09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
I have a XM Sportster installed above my rearview mirror in my eg hatch.

No one ever sees it and I simply use the remote to change channels.

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Yes this is possible.

You can obtain a XM radio that transmitts the signal thru a FM adaptor(XM unit plugs into radio antenna cable). The only item that is visible is a small handheld or remote mounted control unit.

I use the XM Commander and it is a 2 piece unit, the main unit is mounted in a location that is hidden from view and it has a cable to the control unit.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander/index.xmc

Also, I have not used the FM portion of my headunit since the car was new. I plan on removal of the ugly FM antenna and i will mount the ultra low profile XM antenna in it's location.

Kerby
09-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Is there a way to take off the current location of the stock stubby and retrofit a xm/sirius doo-hickey?

talonXracer
09-03-2008, 05:49 AM
You can remove the current stubby FM antenna and permanently mount the XM antenna in the same location. When you remove the FM antenna the existing hole is more than enough to route the cable thru.

.F1
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes this is possible.

You can obtain a XM radio that transmitts the signal thru a FM adaptor(XM unit plugs into radio antenna cable). The only item that is visible is a small handheld or remote mounted control unit.

I use the XM Commander and it is a 2 piece unit, the main unit is mounted in a location that is hidden from view and it has a cable to the control unit.

http://www.xmradio.com/commander/index.xmc

Also, I have not used the FM portion of my headunit since the car was new. I plan on removal of the ugly FM antenna and i will mount the ultra low profile XM antenna in it's location.

you've been most helpful!

Kerby
09-04-2008, 04:54 AM
You can remove the current stubby FM antenna and permanently mount the XM antenna in the same location. When you remove the FM antenna the existing hole is more than enough to route the cable thru.

talon: is there a diy already made that you can think of?

I guess to do this install the top interior panel is going to have to be removed huh?

VegaS10
09-04-2008, 05:31 AM
The headliner has to come down for removal/install of the FM antenna.

RON
09-04-2008, 05:47 AM
I hate the look of a satelite small handheld installed in the car. I am all about fit and finish. And handheld on the dash, nest to the radio, on winshield, visor is just not what I like to see. I like it when it is run through the HU. It looks way better IMO. And then your HU controls everything not just your volume.

SiN05
09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
yeah you have to either have a headunit with the xm/sirus compatiblity or have a portable one. Also just recently xm and sirus has joined together to make a single satellite radio station so now you can get both for the price of one. I thing they're still trying to figure out how to work with the stations and go through some guidelines.

They haven't started sharing content yet supposedly howard stern and some other programs are going to be available to people on XM in the next couple of of months for an extra monthly amount. I'm waiting for the sports package so i can get hockey

Chad
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I left the stubby and snuck the XM wire under it, you DO have to remove the headliner or pull it down in hte rear, while you are in there defeat the sunroof half close "feature"

talonXracer
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
while you are in there defeat the sunroof half close "feature"

Oh hell yeah! I had a few instances of wet seats due to this and not paying attention when I first got the car(I have since learned LOL)

2004ep3hatch
09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
If you guys listen to Sirius alot, they make a new direct connection piece for those using a FM transmitter to your receiver. It replaces it. You guys should call and ask about it. I have been hearing on the radio for the last week.

.F1
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I've had such lousy experience in the past with FM transmitters. You can never find a frequency that's 100% clear and the sound quality is always subpar at best.

.F1
09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I hate the look of a satelite small handheld installed in the car. I am all about fit and finish. And handheld on the dash, nest to the radio, on winshield, visor is just not what I like to see. I like it when it is run through the HU. It looks way better IMO. And then your HU controls everything not just your volume.

Ya but i'm not a fan of aftermarket head units. Too much of a heat score for thieves. And i'm sick of carrying faceplates around. I already carry enough junk with me when I leave the car (wallet, cell, keys, bberry). Pretty soon i'm going to need a purse.

Chad
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh hell yeah! I had a few instances of wet seats due to this and not paying attention when I first got the car(I have since learned LOL)

Yep, first week I had the car, less than 300 miles, Saw the rain coming. turned the key, pushed all 3 buttons till the motors stopped, and ran like hell, only to look out the window and go "awwwww $%&@#!"

I've had such lousy experience in the past with FM transmitters. You can never find a frequency that's 100% clear and the sound quality is always subpar at best.

I bought an el-cheapo stand alone modulator off of ebay and it sucked HARD, At the time I was a broadcast engineer and after testing I'm ABSOLUTELY AMAZED it passes with an FCC ID number! But I'll tell you what, after I aligned it it sounds incredible, you would be amazed what an FM station CAN sound like ;) WAY Bettar than XM :mwink: