PDA

View Full Version : DIY: UKDM cluster installation (with temp sensor)

jimmyjames
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Pics will be up soon enough but I wanted to get the info here first.
My work firewall is cutting me off before I can post everything.

1. There are 2 types of UKDM clusters; regular ones and the face-lifted ones. Only the face-lifted type allow for temperature sensor addition. The identification would be the SRS indidcator on the face. The one allowing for temperature sensor addition has a little image of a man with an airbag. The normal one without temperature readout just says "SRS"

2. Lower your steering wheel all the way down.

3. Pull out the bezel surrounding the cluster.
- stick your hands to the cluster face
- rotate each 180 degrees (right hand turns counterclockwise and left closkwise) so that the palms are facing outward.
- push your fingers in between the cluster and bezel.
- pull gently but firmly.
- remove 3 screws securing cluster
- disconnect green and blue harnesses in back

4. cut the red wire on the green harness and ground the wire. It would be best to clip it at least 3 inches from plug if installing temperature sensor.
Follow this thread for grounding:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43592
This grounding will allow your climate control lighting to work in the dash
- If installing temp sensor, pop up bar on green connector and remove the bare red lead no longer being used (or purchase one)
- push back down green connector bar after removing lead

For installing temp sensor---if not using, proceed to step 8.
5. Pop bar on blue connector and install wire lead to pin 10 (with clip on top, it is the top right opening not being used)

6. Install temp sensor in front bumper

7. By installing additional wire, run wire lead from pin 10 to one terminal of temp sensor. Run a wire from other lead of sensor to solid ground point

8. Reinstall cluster in opposite order of removal.

(Thanks to Bill - Ocelaris for the temp sensor details on this DIY)

moso
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
so let me get this strate all we have to do is cut the red wire on the green harness and ground it for the climate control lights to work and thats it?

jimmyjames
09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
so let me get this strate all we have to do is cut the red wire on the green harness and ground it for the climate control lights to work and thats it? When installing a Type R cluster; yes.
If you have a stock cluster, your climate control lights should already work.

Fico
09-11-2008, 08:00 AM
how much are the sensors and where do you get them?

jimmyjames
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
how much are the sensors and where do you get them?They are available from an Acura parts place.
Most all have them. I know my CL-S does so at least you can check a 2003 of that.
I think RSX-Ss have them.
I thought I saw something like $25-30

ep3moschini
09-13-2008, 05:01 AM
:meek: this is sweet!

whitt
09-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I'll ask instead of pretending, cause the cluster I'm about to install has the man with the bag exploding in his face. Is the sensor what is necessary to make the temp gauge on the cluster to work or display outside temp, or? I haven't installed the cluster I have yet because Bill's post was gone after the board crashed. I just talked to musashi about this not too long ago, and was waiting to see if someone was gonna repost this subject. Jimmy I'm in Dayton, and think I'll be going to Slomo to get tuned in the next couple weeks is this something you could provide guidance on. I just don't want to jack up my wiring. I struggled getting the dakota digital box working to use this z1 trans and apparently I'm horrible with wiring?

wishbear
09-13-2008, 08:35 AM
its weird i just bought a ukdm cluster and everything works like a plug and play cluster.

talonXracer
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
its weird i just bought a ukdm cluster and everything works like a plug and play cluster.

I bet if you havnt modded the wiring harness that you no longer have any lighting on the center console at night.

cloumep3
05-19-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm confused..., grounding will take care of the center console lighting, but if the temp sensor's not installed as described/properly, the temp gauge above fuel gauge won't work???

jimmyjames
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm confused..., grounding will take care of the center console lighting, but if the temp sensor's not installed as described/properly, the temp gauge above fuel gauge won't work???

The engine water temp sensor gauge is not what this article describes. It is referring to the outdoor air temp reading on European Type R gauge clusters. That readout is located in the digital area with the odometer. Only Type R clusters with airbag indicator in the shape of a seated person has this feature.

cloumep3
05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
The engine water temp sensor gauge is not what this article describes. It is referring to the outdoor air temp reading on European Type R gauge clusters. That readout is located in the digital area with the odometer. Only Type R clusters with airbag indicator in the shape of a seated person has this feature.

Thanks for clearing that out!!! I better stop reading between the lines... Since, I don't have the lil' person, I'll just get to the wiring and install mine. Thanks again!!!

anitanium
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a JDM CTR gauge
It has the speedo that goes to 180 km/h and the older SRS light.
It does have the option of temperature display when cycling through the odometer.

Would the temp sensor work with it?

ep-unit
05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
great info.......

username011
05-22-2010, 05:38 AM
this thread is 2 years old.