PDA

View Full Version : JRSC Race Kit producing only 5 psi.

vbpracer
09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
For a year now i have had jrsc street version on my car. Recently i decided to upgrade and today i finally installed everything.

Changes i have made:

Changed 4.4" to 4" pulley with 62.2 inch gaterback belt.
Replaced ngk spark plugs with ngk (iridium) spark plugs, but a step colder.
Replaced stock injectors with rsx type s 310 cc injectors.
Still with powercard.

Previously the charger was producing 4 to 4.5 psi, as seen on the boost gauge. (Btw had a gates belt on there that was missing chunks of ribs, only after 10K miles)

Now the boost gauge is only showing 5-5.2 (as far as i can tell) at 6.5K rpms
Have tightened the belt as i thought this may have been the problem.

Also i feel that between 5.5K and 6.5K rpms the rpms are not moving up steady, almost feeling as if it is holding back.

Not sure what the problem is, maybe some off you help me out with an educated opinion.

Now this is the cheap way out for not having kpro and tuning, so no need to comment on that.

Supporting Mods

Injen sri
Jrrh
2.5 inch tanabe midpipe

Thanks

Si on PSI
09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
who tuned the car?

vbpracer
09-05-2008, 04:09 PM
who tuned the car?

The powercard did :msmile:

Don't have k-pro

kprocivic
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
The powercard did :msmile:

Don't have k-pro

that may be your problem.

vbpracer
09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
that may be your problem.

Could be, but both members mustclimb and nrginny have a simular setup, or had. Except mustclimb has stock header.

So the fact that at least one other setup produced normal psi for racekit indicates to me that i have a problem somewhere.

clutch797
09-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Make sure your in Mad Vtec, Regular vtec won't let you hit any more then 5psi.

superchargedk20
09-05-2008, 05:19 PM
well that short ram is killin u, thats for sure

jerseyjew
09-05-2008, 07:16 PM
hahaha love it.

clutch797
09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
hahaha love it.

Now that's some sig shit right there.

thisisagame24
09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
well that short ram is killin u, thats for sure

that short ram wont affect his psi levels.

whats killing him is doing the race kit half ass with out proper engine managment and injectors that are too small

vbpracer
09-05-2008, 08:57 PM
that short ram wont affect his psi levels.

whats killing him is doing the race kit half ass with out proper engine managment and injectors that are too small

Yes i know this but i dont have the funds to pay for kpro and a tune as of right now. But like i said before, others with a simular set up are getting higher psi.

vbpracer
09-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for your great advice

ohdamngetit
09-05-2008, 09:15 PM

I seriously LOL'd hahahahaha. Def sig quality!

thisisagame24
09-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Yes i know this but i dont have the funds to pay for kpro and a tune as of right now. But like i said before, others with a simular set up are getting higher psi.

only one person has pulled it off sucessfully.

when i had my JRSC r i went over a year with out a tune. the base map that kpro gives is good but wont give max power. its designed to run on the richer side to protect the motor. but not rich enough to bog it down. and you are really worried about a tune there are several members on here that could help you out with some street tuning.

i kinda look at it this way....wait a few more months and get kpro and do the race upgrade then, or do it now with out it and run the risk of seriously damaging your motor. which will cost you a lot more than kpro. something about running 8lbs of boost with the stock ecu scares me

and as for your problem did you install the map relocator bracket?

beechstreet
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
i kinda look at it this way....wait a few more months and get kpro and do the race upgrade then, or do it now with out it and run the risk of seriously damaging your motor. which will cost you a lot more than kpro. something about running 8lbs of boost with the stock ecu scares me

:stupid: :yeahthat::yes::jono:

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 07:45 AM

when i had my JRSC r i went over a year with out a tune. the base map that kpro gives is good but wont give max power. its designed to run on the richer side to protect the motor. but not rich enough to bog it down. and you are really worried about a tune there are several members on here that could help you out with some street tuning.

No have not installed it but i do have it. I believe the other guys shaft broke.

thisisagame24
09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
No have not installed it but i do have it. I believe the other guys shaft broke.

huh??? that makes no sence

MR.Pizza
09-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Most boost gauges are inaccurate (+-1.5psi). You really should move your map sensor to read off your manifold. Anyways, if your belt is damaged it's probably an issue with belt slippage.

mustclime
09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
For a year now i have had jrsc street version on my car. Recently i decided to upgrade and today i finally installed everything.

Changes i have made:

Changed 4.4" to 4" pulley with 62.2 inch gaterback belt.
Replaced ngk spark plugs with ngk (iridium) spark plugs, but a step colder.
Replaced stock injectors with RSX type s 310 cc injectors.
Still with powercard.

Previously the charger was producing 4 to 4.5 psi, as seen on the boost gauge. (Btw had a gates belt on there that was missing chunks of ribs, only after 10K miles)

Now the boost gauge is only showing 5-5.2 (as far as i can tell) at 6.5K rpms
Have tightened the belt as i thought this may have been the problem.

Also i feel that between 5.5K and 6.5K rpms the rpms are not moving up steady, almost feeling as if it is holding back.

Not sure what the problem is, maybe some off you help me out with an educated opinion.

Now this is the cheap way out for not having kpro and tuning, so no need to comment on that.

Supporting Mods

Injen sri
Jrrh
2.5 inch tanabe midpipe

Thanks

You have to love it when people take a well thought out mod like the ghetto race kit and FUK IT UP!!!!! YOU CAN NOT RUN THE GHETTO RACE KIT WITH A RACE HEADER!!!!!!!! You need to put the stock cat back on right now or you are going to go lean over 5000rpm and kill your motor. There are a bunch of reasons for this, here are a couple.....
1) The cat is a major restriction to flow and flow = hp. Your k20a2 310cc injectors are good to about 200-210 whp( if you do not agree with this, look at the dyno #'s over on crsx). With the stock cat in place, there is no way you can flow more than 200-210whp....so the cat is acting as a fail safe "restrictor plate" to keep you from going lean.
2) Your stock ecu reads mixture from primary and secondary o2 sensors. With a race header, there is no way you are getting a good reading from the secondary o2 sensor so you are ether running with a cel or you are running with a defouler....both are stupid. If you are running with a cel, your ecu is "seeing" to much CO from the secondary o2 sensor(the cat changes CO to CO2). The ecu's response to this is to dump gas because it "thinks" you are running lean(or the it thinks you have a failed cat) because CO is a result of a lean hot burn....just a fyi...you are going to be getting like 20mpg like this....:tehehe:
If you are running a defouler you may or may not pop a cel from reading lean from the primary o2 ( o2 sensor's get lees accurate as they age)because you will be going lean at high rpm.

Do whatever you want but imo you will burn a valve or kill your rings very quick with a race header and a getto race kit, mine has been running fine for a year now with the cat in place. I also get 26-30 mpg with it. :mwink:

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Most boost gauges are inaccurate (+-1.5psi). You really should move your map sensor to read off your manifold. Anyways, if your belt is damaged it's probably an issue with belt slippage.

No i replaced it with a new gaterback belt. But yeah it could be that my boost gauge is inaccurate. Something i also have not thought about is the fact that with the reflash or kpro the rev limiter is set higher. And when doing a run i did not go above 6.5K rpms. So that may account for the fact that my psi is not as high. And also i am waiting to take my header of before i run hard.

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Do whatever you want but imo you will burn a valve or kill your rings very quick with a race header and a getto race kit, mine has been running fine for a year now with the cat in place. I also get 26-30 mpg with it. :mwink:

This is something that i had you have stated in one of your previous posts. I am not running it hard right now, just did a pull yesterday to see what the result was.

But either way i contiplated on taking my jrrh off a while back when i was debating on installing the 4 inch pulley. So no i am not fuk ing up my car. I understand very well, but i appreciate the information.

So i will have a jrrh up for sale soon.

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
huh??? that makes no sence

The guy broke his charger, not due to the fact that he had the race kit installed.

clutch797
09-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I seriously LOL'd hahahahaha. Def sig quality!

bammmmmmmmmm.

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 04:47 PM
bammmmmmmmmm.

Wait, arent you the guy that let his friend drive his car, and then misshifted and blew the engine?

NrGiNnY14
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
The guy broke his charger, not due to the fact that he had the race kit installed.

exactly, it was me. had nothing to do with the fact that i had the race kit installed.

yup shaft broke, not even under boost!!! i was at a stop sign and went to pull forward and it snapped. it has happened to a few other people and my kit had over 40k on it.

Could be, but both members mustclimb and nrginny have a simular setup, or had. Except mustclimb has stock header.

So the fact that at least one other setup produced normal psi for racekit indicates to me that i have a problem somewhere.

when i was running the ghetto kit, my gauge was showing 7psi. trust me you would know if its not boosting at 7psi. just listen, 7psi is alot louder then 5psi.

i ran fine on the powercard mike. obviously there is a risk, but then again there is a risk whenever you do any mods.

point blank, i had no problems with my car, never threw a lean code or anything while running the race kit. actually i was running quite rich, since it smelled of unburned gasoline when i was babying the car. mind you i was running a cai/shorty header/test pipe/exhaust.

the only downfall of the ghetto kit is that your mpg is going to suffer heavily. think about it, you have bigger injectors to compensate for the more boost created, but out of boost there is more fuel going in.

mustclime does not recommend using a race header, but i had no cat on my setup and ran fine.

i suggest buying a wideband or going to a dyno and getting you air/fuel under boost. i never got the chance to.

have fun and good luck. btw i'm not saying that your car is going to run fine, i'm just telling you that mine did on that setup, but then again every car is different, so getting your air/fuel checked out is a good idea.

NrGiNnY14
09-06-2008, 04:53 PM
bammmmmmmmmm.

Wait, arent you the guy that let his friend drive his car, and then misshifted and blew the engine?

nope that was me also :mbiggrin:

never again will i let anybody drive my car :mcry:

and thats the reason why i didn't have the money to fix the charger, so i had to part it out. but i do still have the race kit and 310cc injectors if anybody needs them

4angrybadgers
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
2) Your stock ecu reads mixture from primary and secondary o2 sensors. With a race header, there is no way you are getting a good reading from the secondary o2 sensor so you are ether running with a cel or you are running with a defouler....both are stupid. If you are running with a cel, your ecu is "seeing" to much CO from the secondary o2 sensor(the cat changes CO to CO2). The ecu's response to this is to dump gas because it "thinks" you are running lean(or the it thinks you have a failed cat) because CO is a result of a lean hot burn....just a fyi...you are going to be getting like 20mpg like this....:tehehe:

The secondary O2 sensor is not used for A/F monitoring at all. Its only purpose is to check whether the cat is functioning. The primary O2 sensor is the A/F sensor.

clutch797
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM

Yea, that's me. But it worked out great for me. I went big block.

thisisagame24
09-06-2008, 08:29 PM
:yeahthat:

hey pj im not tryin to make fun of you or anything but i do remember you have some issues when you had the blower on....esp running lean codes as well as having weird ideling issues

NrGiNnY14
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
:yeahthat:

hey pj im not tryin to make fun of you or anything but i do remember you have some issues when you had the blower on....esp running lean codes as well as having weird ideling issues

yea i did at the begining, but the problem was fixed before the race kit went on. the cause of the problem was that the studs backed out on the supercharger to the head. it was causing a huge leak causing the lean codes and the idle to flucuate. after that, never threw a code and the idle was perfect.

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 10:43 PM
point blank, i had no problems with my car, never threw a lean code or anything while running the race kit. actually i was running quite rich, since it smelled of unburned gasoline when i was babying the car. mind you i was running a cai/shorty header/test pipe/exhaust.

Did you have the map relocator installed? At how many rpm's were you seeing 7 psi?

vbpracer
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
You have to love it when people take a well thought out mod like the ghetto race kit and FUK IT UP!!!!! YOU CAN NOT RUN THE GHETTO RACE KIT WITH A RACE HEADER!!!!!!!!

I appreciate the concern, but long before you wrote this i had decided to part with the race header, for several reasons.

NrGiNnY14
09-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Did you have the map relocator installed? At how many rpm's were you seeing 7 psi?

no, map relocator is not suppossed to be installed. the purpose of the map relocator is so that k-pro can read the boost, and since you are on the stock ecu and have the powercard controlling the fuel, you should not have the map relocator on.

at about 6,500rpm i would see about 7 psi. at 3,000rpm i saw 4psi, and at 5,000rpm i was at about 5.5psi

vbpracer
09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
no, map relocator is not suppossed to be installed. the purpose of the map relocator is so that k-pro can read the boost, and since you are on the stock ecu and have the powercard controlling the fuel, you should not have the map relocator on.

at about 6,500rpm i would see about 7 psi. at 3,000rpm i saw 4psi, and at 5,000rpm i was at about 5.5psi

Some say to use the map relocator, thought it was only for reflash or kpro. Where you see 7 psi is see about 5.5. Once i take my header off i will be able to figure out why.

04EP3Hatch
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
well i put my supercharger in, and am on the race kit with the 440's, and am only peaking about 5.5psi, with no slippage. I have Kpro with the basemap loaded, but i also have the older style Injen CAI that flows straight into the throttle body, not a direct 90 degree elbow on it, the Kiddracing RH, and an HKS exhaust. and it pulls like it's on more than 5 psi, and my autometer ultralite gauge is pretty damn accurate. But i was told since my setup is so free flowing, that the motor is just working very effeiciently and doesnt have the "restriction" to let the charger build lots of boost. anyone care to share?

Jpax
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
do you have a hondata IMG installed too? is it leaking past the gaskets? what size pulley is on the charger and on the crank? did you measure them?
is the car idling high?

s13_ep3
03-21-2010, 06:41 AM
im having the same problem... only goes to 5.5psi with the 3.8'' pulley

Jpax
03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
if your using the power card , Dose it change the cam angles? because if your Not *getting full lift on the cams with a charger your basically limiting the amount of boost trying to get into the motor. also have you checked to see if the recirculation valve is working ? just make sure it springs back when you lift it up.

superchargedk20
03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
im having the same problem... only goes to 5.5psi with the 3.8'' pulley

What belt are u using for the 3.8? the gatorback is horrible and prolly is sliping? Check ur tensioner see if u have like nasty black dust on it, thats a good indicator