PDA

View Full Version : rubbing compound????

STOCKISTRICK
09-06-2008, 05:22 AM
what steps should be taken for a glistening car? and what the hell is the point of rubbing compound??? my car doesnt shine like i want it to even after i wax it...what steps do i have to take to get it to look good again?

devinblue
09-06-2008, 05:50 AM
buy a new one money-bags!!!! Maybe clay-bar it??? Or take it to a professional, other than yourself of course.

Blackexcoupe
09-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Making a car look good is all in the prep work. The wax is just the little extra step to top it off. Compounds are more aggressive then polish, and most of the time require polishing afterward to fix the marks left behind from compounding.

For a basic detail you'll want to:
1.Wash the car
2. Clay bar the car (clay magic kits can be found at autozone and they are pretty cheap)
3. Clean off the residue off the car by either wiping it off or rewashing. For me it really depends on how dirty the car was.
4. Polish the paint (this is the longest process in a car detail and it should be done by machine)
5. After you're done polishing you can apply sealant or wax depending on what you prefer.

I try to treat the cars with the best I can, so when I clean them this is my process:
1. Washed with foam gun and DP extreme foam soap
2. Clayed with Pinnacle poly ultra clay and ONR as a lubricant
3. Rewashed with ONR
4. Polished with Menzerna SIP
5. Polished with Menzerna 106FF
6. Sealed with Polycharged Wolfgang deep gloss paint Sealant
7. Waxed with Pinnacle Souveran
8. Wiped clean at the show with FK425 quick detailer
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/Fit002.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/Fit003.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/IMG_7453.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Detail/IMG_7430.jpg

JDMtunerEP3
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
what steps should be taken for a glistening car? and what the hell is the point of rubbing compound??? my car doesnt shine like i want it to even after i wax it...what steps do i have to take to get it to look good again?

If your car is that bad off to where you can't give it a simple wash and wax and have it come out nice than i'd go get some clay bar and rubbing compound and try to renew the finish.

Turtle Wax just put out a liquid clay bar system that works very nicely.

It's 16.99 and definitely worth it!

I'd say start with that first than work your way towards finding car care products that suit you best and eventually you will find a system that works for you.

ep_hatcher_510
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Follow this list should make you car look good again

Wash
Claybar (solid type)
Polish
Sealent
Wax (Pure Carnuba)
Wipedown.

I also like to do a fast wash and rinse down after i clay.

Rubbing compound acts like a very fine sand paper, it will take of the top layer of paint/clear coat where oxidation and other crap will sit, it will restore your paint but if used improperly it will destroy your finish. If your finish is just dullish, a light polish follow by sealent and wax will do the job.

Lucid Moments
09-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Rubbing compound? I usually use this

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/150841/300.jpg

nrengle
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Ok I'm going to say it again, that Turtlewax ICE Liquid Claybar is not a clay bar. It doesn't not come even remotely close to as good as paint decontamination as a real clay bar does.

As for the rubbing compound. Don't get it. That stuff is basically sandpaper in a can. It will leave your finish looking worse off if it's already dull. BlackEXCoupe has it on the money, and the right products. Some OTC stuff is ok, but to get that pop like he has you need the higher end stuff. You won't get that glass smooth, mirror finish without a proper prep that consists of a proper 2 bucket wash (or ONR), clay, wash, polish, last step product. Go over to Autogeekonline.net or autopia.org Read those sites, they will give you tons of info, and steer you in the right direction. And to top it off, you will be able to find the right products for decent prices. Most of the things you really will need are hard to find in store anywhere.

JDMtunerEP3
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I paint for a living and have used some of the best clay bars out there and some of the worst!

The turtle wax ice liquid formula is not a bad product to use for someone with little to no experience with decontaminating their car.

After using it myself on a few cars at work i was rather impressed with it for the cost and i normally use 3m's clay bar.

Blackexcoupe
09-07-2008, 06:24 PM
As for the rubbing compound. Don't get it. That stuff is basically sandpaper in a can. It will leave your finish looking worse off if it's already dull. BlackEXCoupe has it on the money, and the right products. Some OTC stuff is ok, but to get that pop like he has you need the higher end stuff. You won't get that glass smooth, mirror finish without a proper prep that consists of a proper 2 bucket wash (or ONR), clay, wash, polish, last step product. Go over to Autogeekonline.net or autopia.org Read those sites, they will give you tons of info, and steer you in the right direction. And to top it off, you will be able to find the right products for decent prices. Most of the things you really will need are hard to find in store anywhere.Autogeekonline is a great community to learn from, and the service from their store is one of the best, but I won't be going back to their forum anytime soon because they offer way too many sales. They suckered me into buying way too many products with all the reviews on the forum and cheap pricing every holiday. I have about $2,000 in supplies when realistically I could have gotten away with about $400 (without machines) since I only work on cars I regularly maintain. It all worked out though because I was able to sell off some of my unused stuff and donated some to a few starting detailers I know.

revelations
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
If youre just looking for a quick fix, after doing a GOOD WASH with car soap..... get a buffing pad for your drill and Meguiars #9 polishing compound.

Took me about 1/2 hour to buff the car and the results were wicked.

I dropped some wax on top of that and the wax stuck like glue (normally wax buffs off pretty easy but this was HARD work).

My car is white so your results might vary a bit. Dark cars are much harder to keep clean that way.

hyu
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
IMO if you arent familiar with using rubbing compound don't use it... You'll be in the predicament I am in. I have swirls in my clear coat now. I hasn't eatten through to the paint but I need to restore it =/.

Id recommend taking off the existing wax now then seeing how bad it is first... Rubbing compound should only be used by experienced professionals