PDA

View Full Version : 1->2nd gear grind..

bigo711
09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
so finally.. i got the infamous 2nd gear grind.
It only happens when I full throttle 1st gear and shift in 2nd gear quick.
But NO, it is not because I didnt wait till clutch full disengaged.
If I wait till the rev gone down a bit, and then shift in, so it's okay.
So, my guess is my syncro is probably gone.

How much would it be to replace one or fix the problem?
or any other inputs?
Thanks for helpin

slo_k20
09-08-2008, 01:12 AM
This probably won't work but you could try changing the tranny fluid. Otherwise your gonna pretty much have to deal with it, I got a quote from Honda about my third gear grind and they said around $1700 after parts and labor. I just chuckled and walked out the door.

BlownSi05
09-08-2008, 07:49 AM
yeah i have the grind a little bit going into second gear at high rpm, its even locked me out of the gate once or twice. it is so damn expensive to fix ive just decided to wait till it goes out and ill just spend a little more to get a 6 speed tranny.

b.r.i.a.n.
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
This probably won't work but you could try changing the tranny fluid. Otherwise your gonna pretty much have to deal with it, I got a quote from Honda about my third gear grind and they said around $1700 after parts and labor. I just chuckled and walked out the door.

changing the tranny fluid is only a temporary fix.

it's probably your synchros.

benkieboy
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
i also have this problem and it's very frustrating.

mattism78
09-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I used to have a lot of luck with redline tranny fluid. I'm going to give it a shot in the EP3. I get the grind while shifting high in the rpm's. It's not terrible, but it's there.

Draw7Seven
09-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah I think you get the best tranny fluid you can get your hands on and pray, man. Otherwise it sounds like you get to spend a lot of money.

karma_hatch
06-02-2010, 06:34 AM
used tranny are in expensive?!!!

Rictorious88
06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
hmm.. i get the grind here and there but ive just stated slamming the clutch super quick and shifting super quick from 1st to 2nd and ive never gotten the grind. yesterday i forgot to do this and grinded.. The rsx-s tranny doesnt have any of these problems does it?

Draw7Seven
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
used tranny are in expensive?!!!

http://yozh.org/images/zombie-thread.png

hmm.. i get the grind here and there but ive just stated slamming the clutch super quick and shifting super quick from 1st to 2nd and ive never gotten the grind. yesterday i forgot to do this and grinded.. The rsx-s tranny doesnt have any of these problems does it?

I'm on a Type S tranny and have grinds into 3rd and 4th just about every time. No idea how many miles are on the transmission, but yes there are grinds. And of course the famous reverse grind on the 6 speed. I figure someday I'll change out the entire tranny rather than try to troubleshoot it at this point. Until then I can deal with it.

superchargedk20
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I just got my tranny rebuilt and Honda has changed th synchros from what im assuming was a faulty design. The old synchros on my ep tranny were just brass. But the new ones from honda now are carbon synchros