PDA

View Full Version : Ssm paint job! What kind of primer??

vUpac
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
well i bought a OEM bumper that came in flat black and i want to color match myself in SSM. Does anyone know what color primer i should use? (White/Black/Grey). Hopefully somebody knows, ThankS!!

team ERA 5
09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm not a paint guru, but i don't think it matters on what color primer you use. Primer is used to adhere the paint.

SinisterCivicSi
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
are you going to wetsand before using the acutal paint? if so, get filler primer.

just my 2 cents.

JDMtunerEP3
09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
well i bought a OEM bumper that came in flat black and i want to color match myself in SSM. Does anyone know what color primer i should use? (White/Black/Grey). Hopefully somebody knows, ThankS!!

I wouldn't primer an oem honda bumper due to the fact that they are raw material bumpers.

I would use a sealer.

If you want the color to come close to matching than use a grey sealer and mix some base in with the sealer so the metallics lay out nicer for you.

Now as far as prepping the bumper goes it all depends on what you have access to.

Most likely your best bet unless you can get a hold of nyquest is to use a grey scotch guard pad (preferably 3m brand) and wet it and the bumper down and lightly scuff the entire surface.

Dry it off completely.

Seal it and let the sealer flash.

Then throw on 2 coats minimal of base. (letting each coat flash)

Let the base flash and then 2 coats of clear. (letting each coat of clear flash as well)

skoolnu
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
filler primer is a waste of time here... you dont need to prime a fresh bumper, scuff it, clean it, shoot it...but you need a flex additive added to the clearcoat, or that shit will chip off.

JDMtunerEP3
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Primer is a waste of time but sealer isn't.

I don't always seal oem bumpers but when doing a silver or gold it helps because scuffing a raw bumper can leave sand scratches and those two colors will show imperfections more so than a standard color.

ep3moschini
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
primer makes a huge difference on what the color will come out like. . . idk what the fuck you are all thinking. . . not a single person who posted has painted cars before lol

BTW you are going to want to clean the bumper then seal it (pats person on back that stated that) then clean it again, then you can paint/clear or if your using single stage just paint.

JDMtunerEP3
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Actually, I am a painter...

And there is a difference between sealer and primer.

Sealer is what he will want to use not primer!

Primer is mostly used to cover body damage that has been repaired with a body filler or to cover up large areas that have been hit with 80 or 180 sand paper.

Sealer is used to cover up marks where you burn through or to cover a surface during the paint process to allow the paint to properly adhere to what you are spraying.

Also after sealing it you do not clean it again for the simple fact that when sealing a bumper you are doing it wet on wet!

When you let sealer dry it acts like a primer and needs to be resanded!

In between coats after the part has flashed you can use a tack rag to clean the part of any material that will affect the finish.

vUpac
09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
thanks for your inputs, big day tomorrow! i'll keep you guys posted. Going to be painting a OEM rear bumper, HFP rear lip. If it goes well next will be Type R sides and a mugen style front lip!!

illusionsoflife
09-10-2008, 02:12 AM
I wouldn't primer an oem honda bumper due to the fact that they are raw material bumpers.

I would use a sealer.

If you want the color to come close to matching than use a grey sealer and mix some base in with the sealer so the metallics lay out nicer for you.

Now as far as prepping the bumper goes it all depends on what you have access to.

Most likely your best bet unless you can get a hold of nyquest is to use a grey scotch guard pad (preferably 3m brand) and wet it and the bumper down and lightly scuff the entire surface.

Dry it off completely.

Seal it and let the sealer flash.

Then throw on 2 coats minimal of base. (letting each coat flash)

Let the base flash and then 2 coats of clear. (letting each coat of clear flash as well)

i had both front and rear bumpers repainted and wet sanded. came out very nice. and from what i heard from painters it does matter somewhat what color primer. you want to get as close to the final paint color as possible

JDMtunerEP3
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
i had both front and rear bumpers repainted and wet sanded. came out very nice. and from what i heard from painters it does matter somewhat what color primer. you want to get as close to the final paint color as possible

Like i said before there is a difference between primer and sealer.

Yes using a certain color primer can help to bring out a nicer finish as far as color match goes but you don't wet on wet primer on a new bumper.

To color match with sealer, even though its not necessary, you can mix some base in with the sealer.

I've been to BASF and PPG paint school for several courses and neither ever recommends using primer in this manner.

Sealer is what you always want to use on a new part before laying the base down!

RJEP
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Not too experienced with painting colors, but I am the best at flat black...lol.... Vu, let me know how the rear bumper and HFP lip turns out. I may purchase a oem front and have you paint it for me....:mwink:

vUpac
09-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Not too experienced with painting colors, but I am the best at flat black...lol.... Vu, let me know how the rear bumper and HFP lip turns out. I may purchase a oem front and have you paint it for me....:mwink:

haha you got it RJ. My painting got delayed, i need a bigger air compressor for a good and constant amount of psi and cmf. Good thing i read the back of the can i had color matched before starting :mconfused:

JDMtunerEP3
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
You should be able to pick up a nice 60 gallon air compressor for 500-600 bucks.