PDA

View Full Version : Failed to lower car

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 12:29 AM
me and fishboy and his friend met up today... and attempted to lower my car.... we failed.. miserably.. the stinking tierod/ball joint??? thingy wouldn't budge. we tried numerous times to strike it with a hammer, with and w/o a piece of wood... it would not budge.. so we quit... any advice? before i end up taking it to a shop and paying money i could better spend on an aem cai

IceD out N CALI
11-28-2002, 12:34 AM
just take it to a shop, have them install em-u wont regret it

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 12:45 AM
anything worth $100 is regretable. esp when it's doable for free.... now that i think about it... i regret buying my springs... i could hav ejust made them!! haha jk. i love my springs :)

fishboy
11-28-2002, 01:41 AM
dude your car will look phat with those springs. sorry again man. i was pretty dissapointed that we couldn't get that thing to pop off. i for sure didn't want to warp it like what happened to me. you still going to inlinefour?

oh and you forgot to mention the driveshaft popping out and it taking us about an hour and a half to get that damn thing back in. :D that was scary.

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 02:31 AM
yeah thaty sucked hardcore... i might take it to inline... or anywhere... btw. fish's car sounds DOPE

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2002, 09:22 AM
did you guys use a rubber mallet? Lower that small nut till it's flush with the bolt and just smack it out. Takes a couple of hits the first time.
I wish I could just teleport myself over there and help you guys :D

fishboy
11-28-2002, 10:54 AM
thanks dan, gotta get yourself a CAI man. 02silver, it would have been really cool if you were here to help us. we couldn't get that thing out no matter how much we hit it. we had the nut flush and we were working on it for like an hour just pounding on it. damn our cars!!!! happy thanksgiving guys.

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
thanks dan, gotta get yourself a CAI man. 02silver, it would have been really cool if you were here to help us. we couldn't get that thing out no matter how much we hit it. we had the nut flush and we were working on it for like an hour just pounding on it. damn our cars!!!! happy thanksgiving guys.
damn, maybe spray some WD40 in it to help loosen it up.
Happy thanksgiving back at ya :)

HondaMan
11-28-2002, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear that...Mike (02SilverSiHB) and I could have been some help. I would really need a teleport to get there now...not on west coast anymore...hehe. Save yourself anymore pain & frustration and take it to an import mod shop...I paid $80 to have them done right with my Progress springs and its all good now.

Good Luck & Happy Thanksgiving!

Jpax
11-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by fishboy

oh and you forgot to mention the driveshaft popping out and it taking us about an hour and a half to get that damn thing back in. :D that was scary.

hahaha you forgot to secure it with bailing wire, the spindle that way when you disconnect the strut , the drive line won't pop out..... lol. ;)

!@#$%
11-28-2002, 03:20 PM
LISTEN:

Go to autozone and rent a Tierod fork. it will pry the tierod and bolt out of the bracket. makes the job much easier.

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 03:32 PM
really??? it's that easy? cuz we spent a while pounding away at it?? u sure a fork will pry it when brute force of 3 buff men coudln't?

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 03:39 PM
i called, it's $15... u think it'll work for our cars??

ep3guy
11-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
yeah thaty sucked hardcore... i might take it to inline... or anywhere... btw. fish's car sounds DOPE

inline four stopped doing installations for now. and i wanna see fish's car :( i wanna see those slips, i wonder if 15s would look good enough..

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 03:42 PM
naw.. they still do them.. i called W.. they said just come by on saturday.. $100.. but i wanna find cheaper...

ep3guy
11-28-2002, 03:44 PM
naw.. they still do them.. i called W.. they said just come by on saturday.. $100.. but i wanna find cheaper...

inline four in garden grove??

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 03:46 PM
yup them... they only do installs on weekends.. when they're not busy shipping.. i talked to steve.. cool guy. i asked if they coudl only do two front springs for $50.. he said ok hahaha.. i figure i could do the back on my own .. i hear they're easier. i hope

IceD out N CALI
11-28-2002, 03:53 PM
if u feel like commin to riverside one day i'll set it u and u can get it done where i got it done-hes quick and knows the ep inside and out

ep3guy
11-28-2002, 03:54 PM
yup them... they only do installs on weekends.. when they're not busy shipping.. i talked to steve.. cool guy. i asked if they coudl only do two front springs for $50.. he said ok hahaha.. i figure i could do the back on my own .. i hear they're easier. i hope

i got it done at another place in garden grove. its cheaper, but they arent as great as inline four. imo, i think inline four's prices are high, but they do get the job done right

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 03:56 PM
you think inline 4 knows our Eps pretty well?? i talked to one guy.. i asked.. are the rsx springs ok? and he's like.. they're better cuz higher spring rates.. so i dunno about them.

ep3guy.. how much was ur install?

ep3
11-28-2002, 04:18 PM
even a ball joint remover will fuck it up!!!! i thought i was gonna be safe with it. i got everything done on mine and then on the last nut that i had to screw back on went crazy on me. shit would not screw back on the tie rod end. whatever you do, do it carefully.

ep3
11-28-2002, 04:22 PM
you think inline 4 knows our Eps pretty well?? i talked to one guy.. i asked.. are the rsx springs ok? and he's like.. they're better cuz higher spring rates.. so i dunno about them.

not to dis inline four, but when i went there to get my coils, they said they were not yet available, but yet they were available at another shop. i should have just went there but i tried inline four cuz they were closer.

ep3guy
11-28-2002, 06:13 PM

i got it done for $75 no tax or anything. and from the looks of how quickly they did it, they knew what they were doing. only one guy was working on my car, and he did it in about an hour and 20 minutes with a break too. maybe we can go out there together if you wanna get it done there, i need to get a camber kit, and hopefully theyll gimme a discount for bringing you.

civic hatch boi
11-28-2002, 06:54 PM
hey ep3guy.. hit me back.. 75 is a good deal.. im down to go with u.. where in oc are u from?

S800Racer
11-28-2002, 08:23 PM
really??? it's that easy? cuz we spent a while pounding away at it?? u sure a fork will pry it when brute force of 3 buff men coudln't?

I had a fork and STILL could not get the little bastard off!! Then I got smart and realized that you can change the springs without removing the tie rod bolt. Unbolt everything else and put spring compressors on the spring while it is in the wheelwell. I've done it 2 or 3 times now (keep getting the wrong springs - long story) and it's no problem.:D

chunky
11-28-2002, 10:12 PM
doesn't a tie rod/pittman arm puller work?

I have yet to really inspect things down there, but i'm going to be doing a spring install soon. . . all these horror stories about this joint are scaring me. . .

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by chunky
doesn't a tie rod/pittman arm puller work?

I have yet to really inspect things down there, but i'm going to be doing a spring install soon. . . all these horror stories about this joint are scaring me. . .
yeah, they have those tools. I guess it depends on the car when it comes to ease of getting that thing out. I've done it 4 times now

TrippZ
11-30-2002, 02:54 PM
civic hatch boi:

Racing stripe down the car?
Type R badge?

wth?

Suk02Si
11-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
civic hatch boi:

Racing stripe down the car?
Type R badge?

wth?

yeah man, he also has a glow in the dark NISMO banner on his windshield and TRD license plate holders.:D