PDA

View Full Version : bad Idea to lightly Smoke my headlights?

xplicitACTS
09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
All Lights are off and I am heading to the paint shop tomorrow...Nice having a good friend that is a painter...:mbiggrin:......would there be any negative effects if i was to put a light coat of smoke over my front projector headlights?

lostep3
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Go to http://www.lamin-x.com/ and you can buy precut tinted film to put on your head lights. This film would be better than paint, because its easier to put on and the film will protect the headlight, unlike the paint.

MugsyTheGr8
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Go to http://www.lamin-x.com/ and you can buy precut tinted film to put on your head lights. This film would be better than paint, because its easier to put on and the film will protect the headlight, unlike the paint.

way better idea.

JDMtunerEP3
09-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Depending on how dark the tint is that you paint them you may end up losing some light.

I'd go with the tint film as well so if you aren't a fan of it than you just rip it off.

EVOKIN
09-08-2008, 04:45 PM
All Lights are off and I am heading to the paint shop tomorrow...Nice having a good friend that is a painter...:mbiggrin:......would there be any negative effects if i was to put a light coat of smoke over my front projector headlights?
- You don't get as much light as before
- Irreversible
- Cops give you problem?

xplicitACTS
09-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I am not looking for any Chrome to be on my car and the chrome reflector shielding in side the headlight assembly is my target to remove/paint/cover up.....The inside of my lights are already black but not the outer edge chrome loking area.....can this also be painted?

JDMtunerEP3
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah that is a good point...

Cops tend to jump all over you when your entire light set up is smoked and if they do pull you over than you are looking at buying another set unless you want ticket after ticket.

liquid cooled
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
This is freaking retarded, your lights are clear for a reason.

Alex857
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Amen to that :thankyou:

xplicitACTS
09-08-2008, 08:11 PM

......and your tail lights are red, and your side markers yellow......that does not stop others from changing that. Why would a light, and i mean light smoke keep light from shining through?

danielakatoxic
09-08-2008, 08:20 PM

Amen to that :thankyou:

i like how ppl just jump in talking shit. let the man do what he wants with HIS car.

anyways, i say go the tint route. if you are not fond of the chrome... you can always do the DIY blackout housing. ive personally havent seen painted headlights. only the tint and housing.

ohdamngetit
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
i like how ppl just jump in talking shit. let the man do what he wants with HIS car.

anyways, i say go the tint route. if you are not fond of the chrome... you can always do the DIY blackout housing. ive personally havent seen painted headlights. only the tint and housing.

agreed, DIY blackout housing is always an option. I'm going to be doing this soon.

danielakatoxic
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
agreed, DIY blackout housing is always an option. I'm going to be doing this soon.

alot of ppl freak out because they dont want to mess up. its wayyy easier then it sounds.

bchaney
09-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Why would a light smoke keep light from shining through?

Any dark color absorbs light. It doesn't matter how "light" you paint it... anything that isn't clear is absorbing some of your headlight's energy.

I'd also object to this because you're going to get hassled by the police. I had smoke covers on the headlights of my old car and after a couple run-ins with the fuzz, decided it wasn't worth giving them an excuse to pull me over.

bdooley
09-09-2008, 06:28 AM
......and your tail lights are red, and your side markers yellow......that does not stop others from changing that. Why would a light, and i mean light smoke keep light from shining through?

or its always nice to see others headlights coming towards you and BRIGHT at that. i think all that should be done is the inside anything else is ricey, but to each their own

Heitzke
09-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Smoking the outside of the lights would be dumb as hell. Just open up the headlights and black out the chrome if it bothers you that much.

He asked for opinions on a public forum, so people are giving them. What's the big deal?

bdooley
09-09-2008, 07:08 AM
He asked for opinions on a public forum, so people are giving them. What's the big deal?

theres always gonna be someone who asks about something and then when they hear what people have to say they get pissed

Mugen Dom
09-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Smoking the outside of the lights would be dumb as hell. Just open up the headlights and black out the chrome if it bothers you that much.

This is what i thought he meant in the first place....this is what Id do if i didnt want to buy CTR lights...basically the same thing making them black chrome. This way theres nothing to get the WRONG attention ie the Police. Smoking the Clear part of the light is pretty stupid and asking for trouble.

MOOGEN
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I would just paint it black and leave two holes for some light to shine through. :mconfused:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_AQsH6bCbxHM/RuDFtP3MSaI/AAAAAAAAAu8/oBYUuBj3DzI/nug05.jpg

you get the idea.

MugsyTheGr8
09-09-2008, 09:55 AM
lmao i just notice the op already sent his lights out THEN asked us what we think, what the hell was the point of this thread then. i cant stand threads like these. "o hai guys i just did some dumb shit but i want to make a thread about it to let you guys know what i did. i know its dumb but please don't make any negative comments about how dumb it was, since i have already made my decision and just want to waste your time. k thx bye"

MOOGEN
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
lmao i just notice the op already sent his lights out THEN asked us what we think, what the hell was the point of this thread then. i cant stand threads like these. "o hai guys i just did some dumb shit but i want to make a thread about it to let you guys know what i did. i know its dumb but please don't make any negative comments about how dumb it was, since i have already made my decision and just want to waste your time. k thx bye"

still not too late to do what I said. LOL! :mtongue: :tehehyper:

xplicitACTS
09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Sucks to be the new guy however i am not a noob when it comes to knowing what i like......I removed the front bumper to paint the OEM grill, at that point i have easy access to remove them and have them painted at the same time as my taillights and side markers.....these are the lights that were being sent out/dropped off to my painter.

I am not a child nor a teenager....respect not alot to ask for. I respect everyones opinions, but no need to be disrespectful.

xplicitACTS
09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I would just paint it black and leave two holes for some light to shine through. :mconfused:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_AQsH6bCbxHM/RuDFtP3MSaI/AAAAAAAAAu8/oBYUuBj3DzI/nug05.jpg

you get the idea.

thought about that.:mwink:

Link does not work.

username011
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I lightlyed painted mine with translucent black paint and I couldnt hardly see anything out of them at night...and my friend who put that film over his headlights got pulled over every single day and got tickets..id say leave your lights alone as it just sounds cool ...right now... but you will regret it.

o yeah and I know the op is just wasting our time but this thread is still useful for people considering messing with their headlights/taillights.

edit::: wow i just noticed this thread is from 2008.. a bunch of old old threads are showing up lately..