PDA

View Full Version : 02/03 rear brake setup?

dragon208
09-08-2008, 06:18 PM
so i looked and searched around.. maybe i searched the wrong thing.. cant find a setup for my rear brakes....

need to replace them soon.... looking for a good setup for DD and once in a while track....

in the front i have HAWK HPS with Brembo blanks..

Goodridge SS lines all around with OEM brake fluid...

now it's my rear brakes.. any one got good suggestions???

MugsyTheGr8
09-08-2008, 06:29 PM
blanks and a performance street pad would be nice. on my car i use oem blanks and satisfied carbon ceramic pads. im happy so far.

sLiCk
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Our rear brakes are the same as the dc5 and alot of other hondas of the same generation. There are a ton of options out there as far as pads go. I would not go for more than a semi aggressive street pad as our cars are very nose heavy. I'm running hawk hp+.

v1c10us
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
i'd change the fluid before I would get different rear pads.

BeaterEP
09-09-2008, 06:07 AM
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/images/motul/motul600.jpg

Get some of this stuff and a set of Hawk HPS pads.
Done. :mbiggrin:

dragon208
09-09-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/images/motul/motul600.jpg

Get some of this stuff and a set of Hawk HPS pads.
Done. :mbiggrin:

humm.. motul brake fluid? might go for it next summer.. winter's almost here..

or are they safe enuff for winter too with the ABS, etc? i heard some Brake fluid freeze with SS lines.. cause it makes it even colder in the winter~!

dragon208
09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
any1 know the hawk hps rear brake item number?

talonXracer
09-10-2008, 07:04 AM
humm.. motul brake fluid? might go for it next summer.. winter's almost here..

or are they safe enuff for winter too with the ABS, etc? i heard some Brake fluid freeze with SS lines.. cause it makes it even colder in the winter~!

I prefer the ATE SuperBlue and Gold synthetic brake fluid. I am not a fan of Motul.

I have NEVER heard of any brake fluid freezing in the winter in the states, unless the vehicle is up north of the Arctic circle up in Alaska.

adrian1281
09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/search/medium/ate_superblueracing_BF.jpg

or

http://www.tirerack.com/images/brakes/search/medium/ate_amberbrakefluid20_m.jpg

They are the same thing, just different color to make your life easier when flushing the lines out. It is all you need for a DD and some track every once in a while.

I don't think there is a brake fluid out there that will freeze, unless you haven't changed it in a long time and the water its absorbed freezes on you.

As for the back, just get some blanks and a good set of pads.

BeaterEP
09-10-2008, 07:28 AM
I prefer the ATE SuperBlue and Gold synthetic brake fluid. I am not a fan of Motul.

I have NEVER heard of any brake fluid freezing in the winter in the states, unless the vehicle is up north of the Arctic circle up in Alaska.

Why no Motul? Personal preference, bad experience?
Curious, if there's something potentially bad going on there I'd like to know! :meek:

mustclime
09-10-2008, 08:56 AM
1) Pull you front splash shields, unless you drive through pools of oil, they are not needed and do not let any air to your air cooled brakes.
2) The 03-04 ep3 front rotors are to small for the cars weight. There is no pad that is going to work on a road course and as a dd pad. I suggest you look at getting 2 sets of front pads and changing the ft pads when you go to the track....a lot of people do this. I suggest you look at getting some hps for dd and some ht-10 for track days....

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294924641+4294907813+42949078 12+4294922533+400870+115+4294873083

The ht-10 are bucks but they will still work well at temps that will melt your rotors.

your real goal would be to get some "better" ft brakes like willwood.

mustclime
09-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Curious, if there's something potentially bad going on there I'd like to know! :meek:

Stuff has to much glycol in it( to increase boiling temps), you need to change it out every year....ok if you are a race team, kinda sucks for a dd.

Zzyzx
09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

In order for Motul to have such a high boiling temp it uses a higher % of glycol. Glycol is hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs moisture from its surroundings.

So, due to Motuls higher % of glycol over other lower temp fluids... it means that Motul requires more maintenance then other fluids in order to retain its high boiling point. and given the general lack of maintenance that brake fluid sees in most cars... you may be better off with something that lasts longer between needing flushing.

Other wise, for brake pads... Unless you are looking to tweak your brake balance, its typically best to run the same pads front & rear.

BeaterEP
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Stuff has to much glycol in it( to increase boiling temps), you need to change it out every year....ok if you are a race team, kinda sucks for a dd.

In order for Motul to have such a high boiling temp it uses a higher % of glycol. Glycol is hygroscopic, meaning it readily absorbs moisture from its surroundings.

So, due to Motuls higher % of glycol over other lower temp fluids... it means that Motul requires more maintenance then other fluids in order to retain its high boiling point. and given the general lack of maintenance that brake fluid sees in most cars... you may be better off with something that lasts longer between needing flushing.

Other wise, for brake pads... Unless you are looking to tweak your brake balance, its typically best to run the same pads front & rear.

Well shit on me! :mtongue:
I had no idea...so, good fluid for a spirited daily driver? I'm a bit confused now.

MugsyTheGr8
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I had no idea...so, good fluid for a spirited daily driver? I'm a bit confused now.

stock, you wont ever boil off properly maintained stock fluid on the street.

thisisagame24
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
what mugsy said....but if you want to upgrade the fulid then go with the superblue. i used it and love it. def a big notice in lack of brake fade.

Zzyzx
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Well, OEM brake fluid should be flushed every few years, every other years is a good schedule. Something like Motul should probably be flushed yearly to maintain its optimum performance. However, even "wet" Motul 600 performs better then many DOT3 fluids do "Dry".

for a daily driver... you have many choices. ATE super Blue/Type 200 is a good one, as well as Ford HD... Yes Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid. its cheep and has a decent dry boil point. its wet boil point is crap, but its cheep enough to flush as needed and not brake the bank.

I run ATE super blue, its got a good dry boil point (Higher then Ford HD but lower then Motul 600) and its got a good service life. its also BMW's OEM brake fluid.

BTW, Fluid fade is unrecoverable. once the fluid has boiled the brake lines must be bled. Otherwise you'll have a continuously soft/spongy brake pedal.

So, if you've faded the brakes and once they cooled you had a firm pedal.. .then you didn't fade the fluid. However if you fade the brakes and when it cools you have a spongy brake pedal... then you've also faded the fluid (boiled)

thisisagame24
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
i guess im a newb but whats the difference between wet and dry boiling points?

MugsyTheGr8
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
dry would be when the fluid is new and contains no moisture. wet is after the brake fluid has taken on moisture. i forget the % of water that will classify as wet.

thisisagame24
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
thanks for the info mugsy

dragon208
09-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I run ATE super blue, its got a good dry boil point (Higher then Ford HD but lower then Motul 600) and its got a good service life. its also BMW's OEM brake fluid.

so i can walk into a BMW dealer and get there OEM brake fluid which is Super Blue??

sLiCk
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
so i can walk into a BMW dealer and get there OEM brake fluid which is Super Blue??

Yes but it will be packaged as 'bmw fluid' rather than ate superblue. Also my guess is that it will be bmw priced as well so you're better off getting it somewhere else.

thisisagame24
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
sluck is prob right on the price being a lot higher at a bmw dealership.....i found super blue on line for like 12.99 a liter

Zzyzx
09-11-2008, 08:07 AM
dry would be when the fluid is new and contains no moisture. wet is after the brake fluid has taken on moisture. i forget the % of water that will classify as wet.

3% water is the standard wet measurement.

Yeah, don't buy super blue from BMW... unless you like spending twice as much for a can.

MugsyTheGr8
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
3% water is the standard wet measurement.

Yeah, don't buy super blue from BMW... unless you like spending twice as much for a can.

thanks you, boss.