PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with this turbo...

ep3_jdm
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-HONDA-CIVIC-SI-T3-T4-FULL-TURBO-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ005QQitem Z150290600271QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I am looking for a turbo and stroll upon this on ebay...its cheap and very affordable....but is there a good reason why it is this cheap...

any help will be great!

lldiesel386ll
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-04-05-HONDA-CIVIC-SI-T3-T4-FULL-TURBO-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ005QQitem Z150290600271QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I am looking for a turbo and stroll upon this on ebay...its cheap and very affordable....but is there a good reason why it is this cheap...

any help will be great!

ebay parts never seem to be well though out to me.:mrolleyes:

when i take on the idea of forcing more air into my engine, id like to know that the parts involved in making more horsepower have been researched and tested, so that failure is less likely :thumbu:

if i were you id save up for a rev hard or greddy the like. im sure others will chime in on this soon:mcool:

clujalolo
09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
theres a member here who actually bought one of these turbo kits off ebay. He'll probably chime in here. From what i know, he hasn't had any problems but he has only had it on for a little over a month now.

Personally iwouldn't buy off ebay. Its too risky. that turbo will probably fail after a few thousand miles. lol and manifold will start to crack, ive heard MANNY horror stories of these ebay turbo kits.

ohdamngetit
09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I gotta agree, its a hit or miss with ebay performance parts.... well..... come to think of it from friends who have bought ebay stuff, its been more of a miss.

Wasnt there someone here who bought the ebay turbo kit? I remember reading..... just forgot who.

makavelibranded
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM

but is there a good reason why it is this cheap...

any help will be great!

its an ebay turbo kit

i wouldint even buy a bov off there

danielakatoxic
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
lmao, just look at the name of that. "gtr motorsports".

the only member that i can recall getting an "ebay turbo" was ejay. but i guess according to him it wasnt ebay, they just sold it on ebay. *shrug*

but back on topic... i wouldnt get it. you want a turbo that can be trusted... and blowing a motor over "cheap" turbo will make you wanna drive off a cliff one you have to repair everything.

Guardian
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
lmao, just look at the name of that. "gtr motorsports".

the only member that i can recall getting an "ebay turbo" was ejay. but i guess according to him it wasnt ebay, they just sold it on ebay. *shrug*

but back on topic... i wouldnt get it. you want a turbo that can be trusted... and blowing a motor over "cheap" turbo will make you wanna drive off a cliff one you have to repair everything.

he was the one that was selling it

96gst
09-09-2008, 08:15 AM
yea whatever happened to that guy that put the ebay kit on his car? I know he had it up and running..............but I wonder if anythings gone wrong yet?

EP3Casas
09-09-2008, 09:38 AM
just casue its ebay doesnt mean its good quality..that is the same kit im savin up for the only thing i would do to make sure u have no problems is take the turbo to a turbo shop and have the turbine wheels balanced or at least make sure they are other than that everything should b of good quality anf the wg/bov can b switched out for higher quality parts..

the only wat to blow a motor is to overboost...that why u have k-pro
the worst that will happen is the turbo goes out

Great buy IMO

blueshark123
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
just casue its ebay doesnt mean its good quality..that is the same kit im savin up for the only thing i would do to make sure u have no problems is take the turbo to a turbo shop and have the turbine wheels balanced or at least make sure they are other than that everything should b of good quality anf the wg/bov can b switched out for higher quality parts..

the only wat to blow a motor is to overboost...that why u have k-pro
the worst that will happen is the turbo goes out

Great buy IMO

You obviously havent attempted installing one of these kits... ebay turbos are a joke and the kits never fit right. You'll end up spending more money on have everything modified to work and replacing all the shit parts than piecing together a rev-hard kit or going greddy. Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two.

bdooley
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
You obviously havent attempted installing one of these kits... ebay turbos are a joke and the kits never fit right. You'll end up spending more money on have everything modified to work and replacing all the shit parts than piecing together a rev-hard kit or going greddy. Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick two.

exactly what i was waiting for someone to say. everyone wants to throw this, this, and that together start the car plug it in and then drive off. its a lot more than that. Correct parts, tuning, etc... it all takes money to do and then people wonder why the motor blows

1GR8EP3
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
not sure if you seen the thread i had up... but im actually the one who is running the kit, well let me rephrase parts of the kit...

1) i wouldnt recomend the IC piping becouse it doesnt bolt right up like it says, you will def have fun trying to figure out wich route to make it work.

2) change the WG to an actual Tial piece, my buddy just blew his motor no to long ago becouse the ebay wg didnt open up, and well you know what happens.

3) change the bov to an authentic piece... the ebay ones tend to cause compressor surge from not opening up...

thats all i can think of right now... so pretty much all im using is the turbo itself, turbo manifold, and downpipe....

but the downpipe itself even needs some modding.... honestly the car has been running with the turbo kit for about two months now, dyno tuned at 330whp 263tq and ran great.... but i guess something went wrong somewhere and i toasted either a piston or some piston rings... it must have ran lean some where up top due to the fuel pump,,, i probably have it kinked up up somehow... so i take blame for it, wasnt the turbo fault, improper installation.... so now its back to the drawing board... but with some time i will be back again, pushing the turbo to see how long it last....

but i do agree with these guys as far as jumping into it, there are ALOT of lil things you have to take into account... i say its not bad to run the ebay turbo itself or the manifold... everything else i would think about...

sorry for the long write up just had to put it all out there

EP3Casas
09-09-2008, 01:22 PM
not sure if you seen the thread i had up... but im actually the one who is running the kit, well let me rephrase parts of the kit...

1) i wouldnt recomend the IC piping becouse it doesnt bolt right up like it says, you will def have fun trying to figure out wich route to make it work.

2) change the WG to an actual Tial piece, my buddy just blew his motor no to long ago becouse the ebay wg didnt open up, and well you know what happens.

3) change the bov to an authentic piece... the ebay ones tend to cause compressor surge from not opening up...

thats all i can think of right now... so pretty much all im using is the turbo itself, turbo manifold, and downpipe....

but the downpipe itself even needs some modding.... honestly the car has been running with the turbo kit for about two months now, dyno tuned at 330whp 263tq.... but i guess something went wrong somewhere and i toasted either a piston or some piston rings... it must have ran lean some where up top due to the fuel pump,,, i prob have it kinked up up somehow... so i take blame for it, wasnt the turbo fault, improper installation.... so back to the drawing board... with some i will be back again, pushing the turbo to see how long it last....

but i do agree with these guys as far as jumping into it, there are ALOT of lil things you have to take into account... i say its not bad to run the ebay turbo itself or the manifold... everything else i would think about...

sorry for the long write up just had to put it all out there

i was waiting for u to chime in...

you can upgrade parts and its incredibly cheap and it stil wont b anywhere as much as a Pieced together revhard kit cause shit adds up really quick..

upgrading the wg to a tial 38mm is a given and use the bov of ur choice but it looks like its the HKS BOV replica..

this kit looks like it fits a lot better
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Complete-Turbo-Kit-Honda-Civic-Si-02-05-EP3-K20-Bolt-on_W0QQitemZ200249490878QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20 PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem? hash=item200249490878&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

j0000stin
09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
i was waiting for u to chime in...

you can upgrade parts and its incredibly cheap and it stil wont b anywhere as much as a Pieced together revhard kit cause shit adds up really quick..

upgrading the wg to a tial 38mm is a given and use the bov of ur choice but it looks like its the HKS BOV replica..

this kit looks like it fits a lot better
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Complete-Turbo-Kit-Honda-Civic-Si-02-05-EP3-K20-Bolt-on_W0QQitemZ200249490878QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20 PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem? hash=item200249490878&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

mike your always looking for the cheapest shit hahah now help me find kpro for cheap haha modacar is selling it for around 850 now i talked to the owner the dude with a boosted s2 and he said that was the price and 160/hr for a tune

EP3Casas
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
its called budget modding...isnt ur JRSC used mister?

get on k20a and peep their classifieds
850 is pretty good...but 160an hour for tunning they will tune for at least 3 hrs
sorry thread jacked

makavelibranded
09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
, dyno tuned at 330whp 263tq and ran great

on the a3?

dj addicted
09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
the only thing out of that kit I would trust is the couplers

1GR8EP3
09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
on the a3?

k24a1/k20a2.... def wanted to make more, but had a prob with the tuning, it didnt want to throw anymore fuel up top.... so im guessing i put the fuel pump in wrong

EP3Casas
09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
wat fuel pump are you running?

makavelibranded
09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
k24a1/k20a2.... def wanted to make more, but had a prob with the tuning, it didnt want to throw anymore fuel up top.... so im guessing i put the fuel pump in wrong

thats really good considering the kit, what intercooler are you going to get?

minivan_assassin
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
What's the point of buying something that you're going to have to replace half the shit (WG, BOV, pipes that don't bolt right up). Then you're left with an ebay manifold that may or may not crack, an ebay turbo that may or may not be trash.

Why go through all that when you could just buy the revhard kit? Trying to be cheap while trying to go fast usually ends with shit shooting out the side of your block.

1GR8EP3
09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
What's the point of buying something that you're going to have to replace half the shit (WG, BOV, pipes that don't bolt right up). Then you're left with an ebay manifold that may or may not crack, an ebay turbo that may or may not be trash.

Why go through all that when you could just buy the revhard kit? Trying to be cheap while trying to go fast usually ends with shit shooting out the side of your block.

i can agree with you on alot of things MA... but i pieced it together and still had a lil cash left over... the reason why i did what i did was to see if it could be put through its paces before it took a crap... now granted something let go in the engine before we could see the longevity of the turbo, but that could have happend running a revhard kit... but buying a revhard does give you that peace of mind and it saves you the headaches of making it fit... to me there are pros and cons of everything you just have to pick, and walk with it

ep3_jdm
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
a lot of good info...thx fellas.
I was looking at the rev hard and greddy too, its just gonna take me a while to save up....plus all the bills i got.

but we'll see

slo_k20
09-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I have heard some horror stories about eBay turbo kits. I know of a kid with a D16 Civic eBay turboed that just blew up. a week before that he was making fun of this kid making 500+ whp with a b16 because his manifold cost like 3 grand by itself, while his kit cost 700 bucks. Guess you get what you pay for :poop:

minivan_assassin
09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
i can agree with you on alot of things MA... but i pieced it together and still had a lil cash left over... the reason why i did what i did was to see if it could be put through its paces before it took a crap... now granted something let go in the engine before we could see the longevity of the turbo, but that could have happend running a revhard kit... but buying a revhard does give you that peace of mind and it saves you the headaches of making it fit... to me there are pros and cons of everything you just have to pick, and walk with it

Yeah, if the car weren't my DD it would probably effect my choice. Now, say I had a old civic with a d16 that I just wanted to haul ass in and if it blows up then it's no biggie then I'd probably go with an ebay kit. So I guess some of it comes down to how you use your car.

j0000stin
09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
its called budget modding...isnt ur JRSC used mister?

get on k20a and peep their classifieds
850 is pretty good...but 160an hour for tunning they will tune for at least 3 hrs
sorry thread jacked

damn got me there haha and yeah sorry for the thread jack

illusionsoflife
09-10-2008, 02:02 AM
i read someone on here has had one for over a year. look for it. i came acrossed it after the crash happened. said he was pushing around 320whp with no problems. got tuned with kpro. but i wouldnt buy it. save 2400 and buy my kit in a month!

1GR8EP3
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah, if the car weren't my DD it would probably effect my choice. Now, say I had a old civic with a d16 that I just wanted to haul ass in and if it blows up then it's no biggie then I'd probably go with an ebay kit. So I guess some of it comes down to how you use your car.

i hear you on that... the car is my DD, but goin back to stock untill i finish building the bottom end, then slapping the kit right back on to continue the research :mwink:...

cukali
09-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Anyone blowing their engine whether its using cheap parts or expensive parts did not tune properly. I blew my motor from overboosting from a line coming off the wastegate......had I set-up K-pro properly (boost cut was too high for my map sensor, and lean protection wasnt working since my O2 sensor was bad) it would have never happend. Over boosting or being too lean is the cause of nearly every blown motor.

Someone name a part in that ebay kit that would cause a blown motor and I will tell you "it was not tuned properly".

I wouldnt worry about using that kit from ebay. I would however buy a rev-hard downpipe instead. You will need injectors and several otehr things.

I purchased a few of those cheap turbos and have many many friends using them and I have yet to see a bad one. The one on my 510 is over two years old and no problems..... I do however think the tolerances on them are a bit high and they are not as efficient as Garretts or other name brands.

You can get that kit to work good, but it will be WAY more than $1500 extra at the end of the day.

dj addicted
09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone blowing their engine whether its using cheap parts or expensive parts did not tune properly. I blew my motor from overboosting from a line coming off the wastegate......had I set-up K-pro properly (boost cut was too high for my map sensor, and lean protection wasnt working since my O2 sensor was bad) it would have never happend. Over boosting or being too lean is the cause of nearly every blown motor.

Someone name a part in that ebay kit that would cause a blown motor and I will tell you "it was not tuned properly".

I wouldnt worry about using that kit from ebay. I would however buy a rev-hard downpipe instead. You will need injectors and several otehr things.

I purchased a few of those cheap turbos and have many many friends using them and I have yet to see a bad one. The one on my 510 is over two years old and no problems..... I do however think the tolerances on them are a bit high and they are not as efficient as Garretts or other name brands.

You can get that kit to work good, but it will be WAY more than $1500 extra at the end of the day.

it isn't from tuning if the motor blows. It is the fact that the ebay parts will fail due to quality. BOVs will seize up, Wastegates will stay open, downpipe welds will crack, etc.

cukali
09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
it isn't from tuning if the motor blows. It is the fact that the ebay parts will fail due to quality. BOVs will seize up, Wastegates will stay open, downpipe welds will crack, etc.

Wrong. Any part of your system can fail and it will not hurt your engine unless you have a poor tune.

I have had many wastgates fail. Only one blown engine and it was my fault for having the wrong boost cut off settings for a factory MAP sensor.

Welds breaking wont blow the engine, they will cause you to have to weld it again.

BOV siezing will only cause compressor surge and will not blow the engine.

Name something that will cause engine failure that you cannot prevent with a proper tune. You cannot.

K-pro has all the failsafe functions as does Mega squirt, AEM, Emanage and several others. NOTHING in this kit he is asking about will cause engine failure even if it completely comes apart.

ANYONE blaming a blown engine on a poor quality part deserves to have a blown engine.

dj addicted
09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Wrong. Any part of your system can fail and it will not hurt your engine unless you have a poor tune.

I have had many wastgates fail. Only one blown engine and it was my fault for having the wrong boost cut off settings for a factory MAP sensor.

Welds breaking wont blow the engine, they will cause you to have to weld it again.

BOV siezing will only cause compressor surge and will not blow the engine.

Name something that will cause engine failure that you cannot prevent with a proper tune. You cannot.

K-pro has all the failsafe functions as does Mega squirt, AEM, Emanage and several others. NOTHING in this kit he is asking about will cause engine failure even if it completely comes apart.

ANYONE blaming a blown engine on a poor quality part deserves to have a blown engine.

and you sir are also wrong. bad part CAN and WILL cause damage to a motor. If you are into thinking that broken parts won't blow a motor, i've got a seized wastegate to sell you because its obvious you can use it since you are wrong the perfect tune.

also, I don't know ANY tune out there that can protect your motor from turbo parts getting into your motor when it grenades on you.

minivan_assassin
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM

That's cute. How fast does the turbine spin? If the turbine disintegrates after a while due to inferior materials or poor workmanship where do all those pieces of metal go? What tune prevents that? Let me know so I can drive up to ATL and you can load it on my kpro. :mrolleyes:

Turning doesn't solve everything. It's true that most problems can be avoided by having a competent tuner, but it's NOT a reason to disregard quality parts. A statement like cheap parts will never cause an engine to blow is pretty ignorant and not good advice to be giving those who are new to boost.

Tnhatch03
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
even though it is a little old, i am going to post my opinion...

Q: what is wrong with the turbo?

A: it is on eGay.