PDA

View Full Version : Help! Radiator Support Bent!

zzfinaldropzz
09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
well about a year ago my first time jacking up my EP from the front i jacked the wrong spot which was the radiator support. As soon as i knew i dropped it and it bent the bottom piece of my radiator support. Now my hood has a gap when it is closed. So now i gotta take out my radiator and try to hammer it back to the right position. My question is how can i take out the radiator if i don't want any coolant to spill? Other can draining my coolant? Or if someone had this situation before please share. Thx alot guys. :mcool:

danielakatoxic
09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
well about a year ago my first time jacking up my EP from the front i jacked the wrong spot which was the radiator support. As soon as i knew i dropped it and it bent the bottom piece of my radiator support. Now my hood has a gap when it is closed. So now i gotta take out my radiator and try to hammer it back to the right position. My question is how can i take out the radiator if i don't want any coolant to spill? Other can draining my coolant? Or if someone had this situation before please share. Thx alot guys. :mcool:

i would like to know also. the ppl that had my ep before me mustve done the same thing.

CastorTroy2
09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Ill admit it, i did it to mine by accident. lift slipped off.. mine has been like it for like a year so far.. dont really notice too much. but id like to fix it.

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
bump.....

frm_808
09-09-2008, 01:38 AM
i would suggest to take the rad out if ur gonna do some heavy hammering.

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 01:45 AM
yah. i was trying to find out how to take out the radiator w/out draining it and won't leak.

i would suggest to take the rad out if ur gonna do some heavy hammering.

frm_808
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
yah. i was trying to find out how to take out the radiator w/out draining it and won't leak.

you can drain it till it empties out the top rad hose area. then pull the hose off and pull the rad to the side

talonXracer
09-09-2008, 04:27 AM
The upper rad support comes out easily. It is retained to the bottom rad support by 1 bolt and at the top by 4 bolts. It is worlds easier to do with the bumper cover removed. drain and remove the radiator.

Now you will see the lower rad support that you bent. It can be stepped on to attempt to get it back to shape., or use a length of 2X4. The lower rad support is welded to the chassis, so it isnt easily replaced by the home/backyard mechanic.

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 07:46 AM
In draining the radiator how is the correct way to do so? & when i finish draining what is the correct way to put back the coolant? Should i do a coolant flush while I'm at it? I don't want to drain it wrong and causing car to overheat. thx

The upper rad support comes out easily. It is retained to the bottom rad support by 1 bolt and at the top by 4 bolts. It is worlds easier to do with the bumper cover removed. drain and remove the radiator.

Now you will see the lower rad support that you bent. It can be stepped on to attempt to get it back to shape., or use a length of 2X4. The lower rad support is welded to the chassis, so it isnt easily replaced by the home/backyard mechanic.

stepintoliquid
09-09-2008, 08:02 AM
my hood had a gap for the same reason. i ended up re-bending the support when i had the motor out.

you'll have the drain the fluid for sure though.

jdm_ep3
09-09-2008, 08:39 AM
if you can get you whole car on a lift at a shop you can use a pry bar and pry it back.

sicivicguy
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
if you can get you whole car on a lift at a shop you can use a pry bar and pry it back.

:hitit:

frm_808
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
In draining the radiator how is the correct way to do so? & when i finish draining what is the correct way to put back the coolant? Should i do a coolant flush while I'm at it? I don't want to drain it wrong and causing car to overheat. thx

you might need to jack it up a lil to get a catch can under ur car. all u gotta do is drain it. and fill it back up threw the rad. it might not all go back in so u gotta run it so the t-stat opens up and runs thru ur engine thus getting rid of all the bubbles in ur. BE CAREFUL when opening the rad cap on a hot engine. use rags and very slowly. also make sure u have coolant in ur over fill tank as well

Alex857
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
there should be a small valve on the lower side of the bottom of the radiator. Called a petcock. Open it up and drain the coolant out. Im not 100% positive if we have a petcock on ours, but most i work on at work have them, some dont though. Wait for someone else to chime in on this also. Hope this helps

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
^^^ thx.. can someone else confirm this also?

talonXracer
09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I had the same "occurance". I removed the upper rad support and drilled another hole above the lower bolt hole and connected them with a cutoff wheel. This allows the upper rad support to be in the correct position to allow the hood to close properly. Works great.

ALOT less work.

freelunch
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Heres a sure way to fix the hood gap without removing your radiator.

1) Park your vehicle in an underground garage with a low ceiling.
2) Pop the hood.
3) Place a 2x4 or a strong length of lumber between the raised hood latch area of the radiator support and the ceiling.
4) Place a hydraulic jack under the proper front jack point.
5) Jack up the car slowly, letting the wood push down your bent frame.

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
^^^ hey that may work, but sounds kindda scary..

danielakatoxic
09-09-2008, 10:13 PM
^^^ hey that may work, but sounds kindda scary..

lol :yeahthat:

freelunch
09-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Its not scary at all man, it works, i've actually done it.

I think its better than hammering it back down because you dont scratch the paint and with a hydraulic jack, the force is controlled rather than all over the place with a hammer.

If you are still relunctant, find a large heavy friend and have them stand on top of the upraised rad support. Get them to bounce up and down on that area. Voila! you will see that the hood will now close more flush.

Hydraulic jack does the same thing but in a much more controlled manner.

zzfinaldropzz
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
^^^ haha i've tried standing on the rad. support and didn't work maybe because i only weight 160 but i have to find a place w/ short ceiling and a piece of wood... hehe.

freelunch
09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
door frame of your garage also works too

zzfinaldropzz
09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
^^ dam i don't have my own garage.... :(

stepintoliquid
09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
^^^ thx.. can someone else confirm this also?

yea, on the bottom left of the radiator theres a little valve with a rubber cap on it. drain the coolant from there. get ahold of the service manual for further explanation.