PDA

View Full Version : JRSC Clearance Issues

mattism78
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I just finished getting my butt thoroughly kicked by my EP, and a newly acquired JRSC. Frustrated and tired, I threw the proverbial towel in for the evening.

Everything seemed to be going fine until it was time to install the supercharger. I massaged the ac line out of the way as per the directions, but when I put the charger in for mocking up I ran into a serious clearance issue.

The nose of the charger is in direct contact with the alternator bracket assembly. I removed all of the pulley's as per the instructions, and ASSumed that installing the unit would be a breeze. I made several attempts and every time had the same result. I am able to get the driver's side stud close to the hole, but the passenger side won't go down.

I'm currently at wit's end, and about to go eat and pass out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fico
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I just finished getting my butt thoroughly kicked by my EP, and a newly acquired JRSC. Frustrated and tired, I threw the proverbial towel in for the evening.

Everything seemed to be going fine until it was time to install the supercharger. I massaged the ac line out of the way as per the directions, but when I put the charger in for mocking up I ran into a serious clearance issue.

The nose of the charger is in direct contact with the alternator bracket assembly. I removed all of the pulley's as per the instructions, and ASSumed that installing the unit would be a breeze. I made several attempts and every time had the same result. I am able to get the driver's side stud close to the hole, but the passenger side won't go down.

I'm currently at wit's end, and about to go eat and pass out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pictures will be of help getting you help:mcool:

BlownSi05
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
damnit man that sucks. if you are like me you probably cant wait to get everything bolted up so you can get out on the road!...lol i was going nuts installing mine. but back to topic.....are you sure that you removed everything correctly? i cant see how you would be hitting the alternator or its bracket. i am about to run outside for a minute so ill take a look at mine and see if there is anything that stands out. and you are bolting up to a k20a3 correct?(or another k20 motor)

minivan_assassin
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
http://evergreen-rentals.com/images/sledgehammer.jpg

But seriously, snap some pics so we can see what's up. I can't remember how many times I've been working on something and ran into a problem and since I was tired I got cranky and couldn't figure shit out only to come back the next day and find it was a simple fix. Hopefully yours is too. :rock:

mattism78
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
The charger is going onto a3 from an a3. For whatever reason the nose just before the pulley is resting on the top of the alternator bracket assembly. theres not much to photograph.

BlownSi05
09-09-2008, 06:15 PM
damn i just looked at mine and i cant see how it is sitting on the bracket. not saying i dont believe you. try taking the pulley off and then fitting the charger assembly in that way. the thing is a pain to get in there right. keep us informed man. hopefully youll be up and running soon!

vbpracer
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
The charger is going onto a3 from an a3. For whatever reason the nose just before the pulley is resting on the top of the alternator bracket assembly. theres not much to photograph.

Maybe when you are putting on the charger your not tilting it correctly. Try moving it around and then it should fit snug. Not really sure how the nose is touching the alternator bracket. Maybe you forgot to remove something. But if you dont want to take a pic and post it real quick then no one can see. Up to you.

mattism78
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Here's the best I could do for pics. It's darker than Wesley Snipes outside so be gentle.

The pic is of where the nose is hitting, and the other is a shot of the nose.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/Mattism78/DSC00016.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/Mattism78/DSC00018.jpg

beechstreet
09-09-2008, 07:01 PM
epwookie and i came across a similar situation. couldnt get the bolts on the charger lined up with the motor. We could only get the driver side upper bolt in but none of the others. we ended up putting the intake manifold back on and I took a shot at it the next day. several hatchers told me to get the grinder out and go to town on the motor. I ended up having to grind down parts of the block and charger. I used to have a decent write up of where I had to grind down, but that was lost with the server and I cant really explain it without having everything in front of me. I spent several hours just grinding down areas that seemed to be keeping the jrsc from moving to get the bolts all lined up. anyways, i was finally able to line up both upper bolts. some people give me shit here on the boards, but ive been running the JRSC with only the two upper bolts in for the last two years and 46K miles without any vacuum leaks or probs. so my advice is bust out the grinder.

mattism78
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
epwookie and i came across a similar situation. couldnt get the bolts on the charger lined up with the motor. We could only get the driver side upper bolt in but none of the others. we ended up putting the intake manifold back on and I took a shot at it the next day. several hatchers told me to get the grinder out and go to town on the motor. I ended up having to grind down parts of the block and charger. I used to have a decent write up of where I had to grind down, but that was lost with the server and I cant really explain it without having everything in front of me. I spent several hours just grinding down areas that seemed to be keeping the jrsc from moving to get the bolts all lined up. anyways, i was finally able to line up both upper bolts. some people give me shit here on the boards, but ive been running the JRSC with only the two upper bolts in for the last two years and 46K miles without any vacuum leaks or probs. so my advice is bust out the grinder.

Yeah I told the wife I'm scared to break out the grinder. Might not have a choice though. I'll give it a shot again in the daylight, but it's one of those areas where there is NO GIVE at all. I don't want to risk f-ing the nose of the charger up either.

beechstreet
09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah I told the wife I'm scared to break out the grinder. Might not have a choice though. I'll give it a shot again in the daylight, but it's one of those areas where there is NO GIVE at all. I don't want to risk f-ing the nose of the charger up either.

yeah there was absolutely no give when we came across the same situation. we even took a huge mallet and beat the shit out of the charger. We tried a variety of methods and nothing worked till the grinder came out. its all up to you. ive been told by several jrsc hatchers the grinder is the only hope, but others may tell you different. all up to you. good luck

phill
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
:mrolleyes: where exactly is it touching the water pump area? it should fit right through between the a/c line and right above the pcv

mabye a pic from the p-side when you have the charger in there

dont grind something needlessly

headaike
09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
that sucks,
I dont see how the nose will hit the alternator bracket when the nose is suppose to be above that hose in the picture.

mattism78
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
that sucks,
I dont see how the nose will hit the alternator bracket when the nose is suppose to be above that hose in the picture.

It's (the nose of the charger) is resting directly on the PCV port and hose. I gave up for tonight but am going to give it a shot again in the morning. It's hard to tell exactly what it is binding against, just easier to determine the general vicinity which is why I said alternator bracket assembly.