PDA

View Full Version : Apples to Oranges Comparison? RSX and the SI

ep pilot
11-28-2002, 12:34 PM
Sorry guy's I'm at my folks house, and don't have my (dealer) broacher handout that I want to reference. Anyway my question is this. I know that the base model RSX and Current model Civic's share chassis architecture, I know our cars (Ep) share similarly configured k20 series mills.

Reading on in the broacher, I observed that our 1st & 2nd gear ratios are different; the RSX has taller 1st & 2nd gears? Our car is 150-200 lbs heftier, according to the broacher. Our torque curve comes later and is de-tuned to produce only 132 lbs/ft of torque while the RSX has 140 or 142?? Reading further revealed that the base rsx has some sort of advanced technology that enables the intake runners to work in unison with ivtec, by choosing from two sets of intake paths, to improve power delivery also evenly distributing torque. I did not notice our broacher mentioning anything about the variable intake runners? we do share the same k20 right?

Also if in fact our engines are identical, where does Acura extract the extra 10-11 ft/lbs of torque? I notice the RSX has a single exit rear muffler, in theory would cause a bit more backpressure, returning very minimal amounts of torque gain?? I don't know, but I sure would like to know. Also a huge photo in the RSX's broacher reveals the valve cover assy and the oil fill cap, the RS's oil fill cap in the photo shows a recommendation of 5-30w oil while ours shows 5-20w. If our engines are the same what

CgSi
11-28-2002, 12:37 PM
They are not exactly same, but different in some ways. Not sure of the details, but something about an extra intake runner or something like that

IceD out N CALI
11-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Our car is 150-200 lbs heftier, according to the broacher

actually the rsx and si are about the same weight

keithg
11-28-2002, 01:09 PM
I think that the civic si has the same (short) intake as the RSX Type-S because there is not room for the longer RSX base model (long) intake. The longer intake makes more torque.

CgSi
11-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by keithg
I think that the civic si has the same (short) intake as the RSX Type-S because there is not room for the longer RSX base model (long) intake. The longer intake makes more torque.

That is what I heard

Will2K2
11-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Si = Different gear ratios
Si = Aluminum intake (like RSX S)
Si = Balance shafts
Si = Bigger front Anti-roll bar than even the RSX S
Si = Smallest rear anti-roll bar of any of the RSX or Civics
Si = Electric PWR steering

RSX=Plastic (variable length) intake manifold similar to CRV, this is the reason for the improved torque
RSX= No balance shafts
RSX =Reg PWR steering (belt driven pump)

CgSi
11-28-2002, 01:34 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1357&highlight=5w30

ep pilot
11-28-2002, 01:45 PM
Thank you for the answer to my question, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

-Ryan

Will2K2
11-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ep pilot
Thank you for the answer to my question, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

-Ryan

Your welcome ,

now what about that oil :'(

Gibhunter
11-28-2002, 08:08 PM
Base RSX 5spd weighs 2694 pounds so about 50 pounds less. About the oil, Type-S I think runs on 5W-30. Base runs on 5W-20.

redronin22
11-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Civic SI: 195 hp
RSX:175
RSX-S: 205 hp

This in keeping with the fact that last gen SI was 20 hp above base integra and gsr was 10 hp more than the SI. That would have been sweet huh? Too bad I have to go out and make the extra 35 hp on my own. possible but a pain in the butt. A higher stock output would have been great after all i DID pay 19k out the door for my car. I think we ALL deserved a bit more from Honda, thats why i felt a little let down after all these cars coming out making so much more power. sucks but oh well i still love ya EP you might not be the fastest or the prettiest but you're mine. hehe