PDA

View Full Version : Alignment Specs for HFP Suspension

spydur
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I just finished my HFP Suspension install. It is my understanding that I should drive the car for a couple of weeks to let things settle in before I have it aligned. Now, I need to find the proper alignment spec’s. I’ve done a little research and found there are some variances in alignment specification recommendations. Here is a summary of what I have found:

HONDA HFP FACTORY SPECS

FRONT: CAMBER - 0 deg. 45’ + 45: TOE IN;: 0 mm + 3mm; CASTER: 1 deg. 35’ + 1 deg.
REAR: CAMBER: - 1 deg. 15’ + -45’; TOE IN: 2 mm + 2/-1 mm; CASTER N/A;

MUSTCLIME HFP DAILY DRIVER

FRONT: install crash bolts – add as much negative camber as you can (with Ingals crash bolts, I believe this is 2 deg).
1/32” TOE OUT - FRONT
REAR: ___________ ? CAMBER, (I did not find his rear camber recommendation. Are camber arms needed?). 0 DEG. TOE IN – REAR

ZZYZX (HIGH PERFORMANCE STREET)

FRONT: - 1.50 DEG. CAMBER ----- 1/32” TOE OUT
REAR: - 0.75 DEG. CAMBER ----- 1/32” TOE IN

PROGRESS (SPORT SPRINGS) Factory Tech Recommendation

FRONT: - 0.50 DEG. CAMBER ----- 1/16” TO 1/8” TOE IN
REAR: - 0.75 DEG. CAMBER ----- 0 TO 1/16” TOE IN

BRITISH CIVIC TYPE R “ABP - FAST ROAD SETUP”

Front Crash Bolts & Rear Alignment Arms installed
FRONT: Neg. 1 deg. CAMBER ------ 2 mm TOE IN
REAR: Neg. 1 deg. CAMBER ------ 1 mm TOE OUT

I may attempt to replace my front and rear LCA bearings with ones made by Energy Suspension before I have it aligned.

Any input on the proper alignment specs to help maximize handling and response for an otherwise stock daily driver (except for high performance street tires) would be appreciated.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

freelunch
09-10-2008, 06:34 PM
You know, I would disregard the camber settings recommended by the HFP specs. The reason why the rears have so much negative camber is that it is assuming you are using the stock camber arms which are non adjustable.

Slip_Angle
09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
My HFP Setup - Daily Driver and Autocross

-1.5 degrees camber all around
1/32 toe out front
1/32 toe in rear

Progress front sway (27mm) - Poly Bushings
RSX-S Rear sway (21mm) - Stock Bushings (Just changed from the 24mm Progress)

spydur
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
BUMP for additional replies!

Does one need to install a front and rear camber kit for an HFP suspension?

THANKS

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

powdbyrice
09-12-2008, 10:27 AM
if you align to specs other than the OEM HFP specs, yes.

EPSU3
09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
hmmm, this has got me thinking. just got my hfp kit in yesterday. I was just going to take it to the dealer and tell them to put it on and align according to factory specs. I have a 21mm DC5 S rear sway, and EM2 front sway. Should I factor that into the alignmnent? I know nothing about alignment so consider me subscribed. Great info.

powdbyrice
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
you dont have any friends that can help you with the install? paying the dealership for this FTL.

sway bars shouldnt affect the alignment.

EPSU3
09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
you dont have any friends that can help you with the install? paying the dealership for this FTL.

sway bars shouldnt affect the alignment.

yeah, just depends when I do it. I live in a one bedroom appartment right now. Not sure where I'll be living in january, or when I'll be back at my mom's with my garage and tools. If i can hold off the urge to put it on before may, i could do it myself. I read the DYI for it, I'm pretty confident. Its just a matter of finding the time. I was also over estimating the amount of work, since the HFP kit is pre assembled, so I really don't need a spring compressor. I guess I don't have an excuse then, pull off the old, plug in the new.

Slip_Angle
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
hmmm, this has got me thinking. just got my hfp kit in yesterday. I was just going to take it to the dealer and tell them to put it on and align according to factory specs. I have a 21mm DC5 S rear sway, and EM2 front sway. Should I factor that into the alignmnent? I know nothing about alignment so consider me subscribed. Great info.

I think your going to get allot of over-steer with this setup. If you leave it this way, you may need a rear camber kit to get more camber and counter-act the over-steer. You can also use some toe-in on the rear to control it.

..or you could change your front bar for something larger like I am using.

EPSU3
09-13-2008, 10:27 AM
thanks for the input. I haven't installed the EM2 front sway yet. I was just going to swap sway bars with my mom's car before she traded it in. So would you recommend staying with stock front sway, or even stiffer with HFP suspension?

powdbyrice
09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
just try the smaller front bar and see how you like it. i wouldnt get a larger bar tho.

Slip_Angle
09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks for the input. I haven't installed the EM2 front sway yet. I was just going to swap sway bars with my mom's car before she traded it in. So would you recommend staying with stock front sway, or even stiffer with HFP suspension?

There is this belief that the EM2 bar is the ONLY one to have. It may be a decent setup, however people sometimes tend to have success with one setup and then it becomes gospel that it's the only one.

The bar you choose is VERY dependent on the shocks and springs. The EM2 bar with HFP is like driving a Ford Crown Victoria. With stiffer shocks and springs it's probably pretty good but NOT with the HFP suspension because it's a very soft setup.

I've seen the EM2 bar in action and the grip levels are decent but the body roll and turn in is poor.

In the past 5 years autocrossing my EP3 I have tried various setups and with the HFP a larger front bar works well with a larger rear bar. Grip is high, turn in is very good and it's a very street happy.

If you look at the 2005+ RSX-S it has a similar setup. 21mm rear bar, 26.5mm front bar and it handles very well...

HTH

Rekognize
05-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for this.. gonna get an aligment this weekend