PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks for axle install?

Heitzke
09-11-2008, 10:47 AM
A buddy is coming over tomorrow and we're going to replace his driver side axle. It seems fairly straight forward, is there anything I'm missing?

(super abbreviated directions)

-remove spindle nut
-remove endlink
-pop lower ball joint
-push axle out of knuckle
-install

Granted, the ball joint is easier said than done, but we're just going to use a fork and have a replacement boot ready. Is there some magical honda axle replacement secret that I should know about?

Kumar
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
You got it pretty much. I had to change my passenger side out 3 months ago and as you said it was fairly straight forward. No tricks to this install.

Gargola
09-11-2008, 11:38 AM
A buddy is coming over tomorrow and we're going to replace his driver side axle. It seems fairly straight forward, is there anything I'm missing?

(super abbreviated directions)

-remove spindle nut
-remove endlink
-pop lower ball joint
-push axle out of knuckle
-install

Granted, the ball joint is easier said than done, but we're just going to use a fork and have a replacement boot ready. Is there some magical honda axle replacement secret that I should know about?

Drivers side axle is pretty straight forward, you can use a screw driver/pry bar to pop out the belll housing from the tranny.

I do have a suggestion, don't bother with the ball joint, remove the lower control arm bolts from the sub-frame to get the play you need to remove the cv joint, leaving the ball joint untouched.

If you do plan on removing the ball joint, get the correct tool for it or you WILL pay for it in time.

Windchaser
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Don't touch the ball joint. The passenger side is straight forward, but the driver side needs a little pushing or was it the other way around. It's pretty easy, but I recommend replacing any seals you remove or touch (it's unnecessary, but I prefer to do it).

Heitzke
09-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Right on. Good idea with removing the LCA bolts. Thanks for the help guys

maestro
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
ball join removal tip: unscrew the bolt until its flush with the bottom, knock the strut arm with a ball peen hammer right where the ball joint is a couple times right at the point of the strut. 3-4 good solid whacks. Knock up the ball joint with a block of wood and hammer. works like a charm. That tip was from a honda mechanic (not that he does that at the shop) for DIY car work.