PDA

View Full Version : Commuting Tires Choice Question. I need new tires.

Glockem
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I have a 2005 EP3, and I just hit 50k miles on the car. I just did my final rotation on the tires today, and it still has the stock 205/55/16 Michelin Pilot tires, and they are worn down pretty good, and there is weather cracking in the remaining grooves. I am looking at the following:

BF Goodrich G-Sport All Season
BF Goodrich G-Force Sport
Goodyear F1 All Season

I want to make sure that I get a tire that will last at least another 50k miles, b/c all I do is commuting 140 miles per day, plus the occasional canyon carving on the weekends. Are either of the above mentioned models a good choice for grip, reduced road noise, and high mileage?

I also noticed that the left front tire is wearing a lot more on the inside of the tire, so I guess a full front end alignment is in order when i get my new tires. What causes the inside portion of only the left front tire to wear like that, bad toe-in possibly?

talonXracer
09-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Yokohama AVID W4S

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47293&highlight=yokohama

Glockem
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks I will look at those.

How about these Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+Serenity&partnum=055HR6TS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=13&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

socmex7
09-14-2008, 01:44 PM
if you're really going for longevity, the new mich pilot mxv4 come with a 60k warranty i believe.. i currently have the bfgoodrich g-force sports but in 215/45-17 and i love them. my coworker got 40k of his last set with tracking his car a couple times.. or go for the Yokohama s-drives, i've personally never had them but i haven't heard a bad thing about them..

Glockem
09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Sounds good.

I also noticed the Goodyear GT & GT-r's. They seem to be good tires as well.

powdbyrice
09-14-2008, 03:26 PM
gforce sport.

i have them. i drive 100 miles/day. i've put more than 30k on them and have a good amount of tread left.

while i dont track the ep, the tires do well in the hills.

ps: i got mine at costco. if you have a costco membership, use the $60 off coupon! http://tires.costco.com/TireInformation.xhtml?pn=SeptPromo

Glockem
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the Costco idea. I am a member there, and I was curious about going through them as well. Do you just print off the coupon and then take it up there when you get your tires mounted? Or do they give you the discount when you just show up?

socmex7
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Sounds good.

I also noticed the Goodyear GT & GT-r's. They seem to be good tires as well.

i had the goodyear gt hr's, not worth the price.. for that price just go with the g-force sports..

freelunch
09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
How about the General Exclaim UHP? Its priced great and performs really well as a sporty daily driver tire

powdbyrice
09-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the Costco idea. I am a member there, and I was curious about going through them as well. Do you just print off the coupon and then take it up there when you get your tires mounted? Or do they give you the discount when you just show up?

if you order online, they do the coupon automatically.

if you order at the store, i think you need the coupon from the big book of savings that they mail to you.

not 100% sure.

powdbyrice
09-14-2008, 06:43 PM
also look at the dunlop direzza.

oldskoofame
09-14-2008, 09:18 PM
yokohama a_048

MugsyTheGr8
09-14-2008, 09:24 PM
to adress your question about the tire wear. it could be excessive negative camber on that one wheel. if it was just the toe that was off your steering wheel would be off center and the wear would be even on both tires. are you getting a pull to one side at all?