PDA

View Full Version : Sulpheric Smell? Help

Dunrick
11-29-2002, 11:36 AM
Hey, I was running to Safeway and back to the apt, just hit vtec in first and second....thats it, then when I get home I smell this mad sulpheric smell. I've smelled it before, Its only happened when I was sorta driving hard with somebody else in the car. It eventually goes away....is that the clutch? Its like seriously sulpheric smell.....sorta sucks, but I'm not really worrying about it, cause its only done it a couple times. Could it be bad gas? I wasn't even driving the car that hard. Help yo. Peace

natesi
11-29-2002, 12:05 PM
It's the cat converter.

I had a car before this that had a vacuum leak so it ran a little lean and it smelled exactly the same, except stronger. Basically the cat is running too hot and over cooking the fumes (and it self). When the exhaust gets too hot there's some sort of chemical change and instead of turning fumes from carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, it makes sulfur di"something" or tri"something" (can't remember exactly). I read an article on this a while ago.

My EP does this sometimes too--and it doesn't even seem like I have to "get on it" to make it happen. This kind of pisses me off because it's one of the reasons I got rid of my last car.

I think we may smell it more in the Si because the car has very low emissions; hence I think it tends to run a little on the lean side compared to what they designed the material in the cat for (which would be "normal/average" new cars). That's my theory.

So, like you gun it to red line (car runs rich and cat really kicks-in, heats up to do it's job), then you stop all the sudden and/or drive normal and the car starts to run a lot leaner, but the cat is already HOT from your VTEC run a minute ago. So it's now over cooking the exhaust and causing the sulfur reaction to occur.

Or... it could be that the car runs lean in the upper RPM range and causes the cat to overheat too. Rich or lean will cause it to heat up. But what causes the sulfer smell is a hot cat and lean exhaust--that's what happening, one way or the other. I've heard our cars run rich at upper RPMs, so I'd say my theory above is what's happening.

I guess some gas has less sulfur than others. I usually get Chevron, but I don't know how the sulfur content compares to other brands.

-nate

Dunrick
11-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Good info thanks, yeah its happened to me when I didn't even hit the gas too. Last night I just happend to get on it a little bit. Yeah its weird...It doesn't bother me too much but like.....its kinda embarassing to roll up to my apt in a new car and it smells like it needs a cat conv. other than that.....its fine, its only done it like 3 times now and I've had the car a month this sunday. Hopefully it doesn't make you hate your car bro. The sulpheric smell doesn't really last that long, ohyea, do you also only smell it after you have stopped? Thats the only time I have, I cannot smell it when I'm driving. Peace

natesi
11-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Yea; I pretty much only smell it when I stop or slow down to a crawl. I wonder if people behind me smell it?

Pretty embarrasing.

Dunrick
11-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah...kind of blows if you think about the people behind you...do you have stock exhaust too? Wonder if aftermarket exhaust would help? Is this something we should take the dealer to get fixed? Or is it just how the k20's are once in a while?

natesi
11-29-2002, 06:53 PM
More or less, I'm pretty sure there's nothing that could be done about this... short of maybe a aftermarket ECU, and even then, I'm not so sure.

Of course you could gut the cat, but I wouldn't. Not only is it bad for the environment, but you can get an insane fine if caught.

Some here have said this will go away after a while, but I have my doubts. I recall hearing people with like 8,000 miles on their car that still have the problem.

I'm guessing a lot of cars will do this in the future, as engines get cleaner and run more fuel effient.

myeverlovinsir
11-29-2002, 06:59 PM
When I warm the engine I make sure to have recirc ON. so that
no exterior air/gasses gets in while im idling. I do the same in heavy and
slow highway traffic to stop fumes from getting in. I would
recommend leaving it on when driving slow in the city and
open the sunroof to get fresh air.

natesi
11-29-2002, 09:36 PM
I like to get high off the fumes though....

Dunrick
11-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Fumes rule, specially these ones. So your in vancouver huh natesi? Thats coo...I'm in Issaquah (next to bellevue/seattle) I wanna see another si. I have yet to see somebody else w/ one really.

myeverlovinsir
11-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by natesi
I like to get high off the fumes though....

yeah, yeah, make a trip of a trip. lol

TrippZ
11-30-2002, 10:50 AM
I think natesi is right, because I was coming home, and i was like oh what the hell, so i hit Vtec in 1st, take a turn, hit it again, and then drive normally for the next 5 or 6 blocks

turn into my house, park, get out, and phew. smells like fresh crap.

I use 93 Octane.. from I think its Mobile... anyone opinions?

02SiHB
11-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Someone told me the exhaust work just needs to be broken in... He had a DC TCS exhaust on his '01 EX that he bolted on and he said it went away after a month.. Anyone got a smell that just plain wont go away, even after a month?

natesi
11-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Fumes rule, specially these ones. So your in vancouver huh natesi? Thats coo...I'm in Issaquah (next to bellevue/seattle) I wanna see another si. I have yet to see somebody else w/ one really.

He he.. I use to live up in Bellevue, on NE 8th St near the Cross Roads mall.

Not including the meet we had in portland, I've only seen one other Si on the road since I've had mine (about 3.5 months). At that meet there was another Si in the mall parking lot. And once a friend of mine saw one in the parking lot when we were at another mall.

So, all together, I've seen like 3. But if you count "on the road" then I've only seen 1--and it was a young mother driving it with a baby seat in the back.

I think Paxie lives up there. You should check the PNW forum--he always seems to know when there will be honda meets. But there's not much more than maybe one day notice, so check it frequently. he he.

What color is your Si? If i'm ever up that way maybe we could get together or something. Mine's Silver.

natesi
11-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Oh yea; the smell definately lasts more than a month.

I think it's going to last a long time because the only time the cat runs bad is those times you can smell it. If it ran bad ALL the time, it would probably quit smelling sooner. But since it's only once and a while I think it's going to take a long time.

natesi
11-30-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by rick77f
What octane fuel are you guys running? If the octane is too high the unburned fuel in the exhaust stream is cooked in the cat giving you a nice rotten egg smell. If you are using 87 and it smells try a different brand or station. If you have done this already take it in.

Yes; I run 87. Was running 89 for a bit, but stopped.

Dunrick
11-30-2002, 05:15 PM

He he.. I use to live up in Bellevue, on NE 8th St near the Cross Roads mall.

Not including the meet we had in portland, I've only seen one other Si on the road since I've had mine (about 3.5 months). At that meet there was another Si in the mall parking lot. And once a friend of mine saw one in the parking lot when we were at another mall.

So, all together, I've seen like 3. But if you count "on the road" then I've only seen 1--and it was a young mother driving it with a baby seat in the back.

I think Paxie lives up there. You should check the PNW forum--he always seems to know when there will be honda meets. But there's not much more than maybe one day notice, so check it frequently. he he.

What color is your Si? If i'm ever up that way maybe we could get together or something. Mine's Silver.

Word. Mines black, whenever you come up next time let me know. I really want to hear the opinions of another ephatcher in person. Yeah Paxie lives in west seattle according to his sig. He has cool stuff on his website. Do you work or goto school or anything? About this sulpheric crap, your definantly right...it will take a while to break in this cat. I run 87 octane just because you get jack for benefits from higher octanes on the stock engine. Peace

natesi
11-30-2002, 05:37 PM

Word. Mines black, whenever you come up next time let me know. I really want to hear the opinions of another ephatcher in person. Yeah Paxie lives in west seattle according to his sig. He has cool stuff on his website. Do you work or goto school or anything? About this sulpheric crap, your definantly right...it will take a while to break in this cat. I run 87 octane just because you get jack for benefits from higher octanes on the stock engine. Peace

That would be cool. I might be making some trips up there in Janurary.

I was sprucing up my car today and noticed the left side of the drivers seat, the "bolstered part", is starting to streach and has a crease in it.

I wonder how bad it will get or if I should try to get it replaced. Hmmm...

Anyway, I work as a helpdesk supervisor at a crappy company. The economy sucks. I was doing network administration in Redmond, but the ENDLESS hours and STRESS got to me, so when I was laid off I decided to "take it down a notch". But not this down. The economy sucks--what can I say?

I Got my BA in accounting from WWU in Bellingham and then continued my education in MIS at WSU branch campus in Vancouver. College--yea; those were the days. Wish I could go back in time. Stay in school as long as possible and get drunk off your parent's money for at least four years, that's my advise.

= )

Man, I thought college was hard, but the real world is harder. Still, it's nice to make money and not study all day. But I got tired of taking a bunch of classes I didn't give the rip about, so I was ready to be done with school.

How about you?

Dunrick
11-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah no kidding, WA has the highest unemployment in the nation I think. I work at a printing company in Issaquah. We produce business cards and stationary for fortune 5 companys...(Boeing, Motorola, Siemens, Ford Motor etc etc)...I just sit at a computer all day. I changed my oil today just for kicks...Shucks has the wrong oil filter in they're database for our car, theirs is much smaller, so I grabbed a bigger one. Ohyeah, I never really went to school, I just decided to get a job and not have to worry about paying off school. I'm hoping that I'm ambitious enough to make it out there without schooling...Who knows though. I'm secure at my job, if I ever want something that requires some education I'll goto school then. Never too late I suppose. Cool bro, hit me up around Jan, I'll just be sitting around staring at my car wishing it was faster :)

natesi
11-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Hey, I think that's seriously a good idea.

It might be easier to go to school when your older too because until you're like 24 you get no financial aid because they always go by your parent's income.

Second, WHO THE HELL REALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY WANT TO DO right after high school???!! A rare few do, but not many. Many more *think* they know, but they don't--trust me.

You're so freaked about choosing a major and not wasting money and time, that becomes more important than what you really want to do.

I would have liked to work for at least a couple years after high school to get a better sense of myself, but my Dad is a conservative, close-minded, wacko and thought all that was bull shit. So, instead I majored in a bunch of stuff I really don't want to do. Nice going, eh?

But I've changed a lot just in the last couple years (approaching late 20s now), so I doubt working just 2 or 3 years would have done much, as far as learning more about myself.

I'm going to be 27 next month (Dec). Man, 27... That's old, isn't it? It sounds old. I can't believe how fast time went by. I'm going to start having a crisis if I think about it too much....

= )

- nate

Dunrick
12-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Nah man, your not that old. Most of my friends are around your age. I'm 21, but everybody I work w/ is like 25 and up so, no worries. I changed my oil at 1200 miles just for kicks. It wasn't too much of a pain. I'll probably have to go hit the crowds in the si and go shopping. Hopefully no fuck steals anything from it heh...I still worry about that, ohwell, thats the sacrifice for buying these cars. Peace

Jpax
12-01-2002, 11:34 AM
I think its your ass when you shit your self when you hit Vtec....."whoaaaaaaaa.....ahhh I jsut shit myself"............

j/k :D

carpsir
12-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Someone touched on this topic but I've been getting into it
a bit. Check out the sulphur content of the fuel you are using.
Different brands have different sulphur levels. In Canada,
the brand our company uses has a high sulphur content and
not only does it smell bad, I think that it causes damage to
things like O2 sensors. Try a fuel with a lower sulphur
content and this will help..... do some research.

Dunrick
12-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Cool thanks for the info. One thing, how do we go about researching? Where is a chart to check sulpher in the gas? peace

Dunrick
12-03-2002, 07:45 PM
Damn...did it again in seattle commute. Stop and go traffic and I'm smelling it....Its pretty damn embarassing when its a brand new car, I bet nobody thinks its me :) Its not fun to explain to friends either...

Dunrick
01-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Its been a while - I've started to use 92 octane from costco - Havn't smelled it yet....its worth that extra 20 cents/gallon

atl-si
01-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Sulfuric smell? I haven't smelled any in my EP. Must be in your heads! j/k. I hope nothing is wrong with y'alls cars.

David K.
01-20-2003, 02:17 PM

Some here have said this will go away after a while, but I have my doubts. I recall hearing people with like 8,000 miles on their car that still have the problem.

[/B]

I have over 25000 miles on my ep and it still stinks on a semi-regular basis. I might have an exhaust leak though.

Dunrick
01-20-2003, 05:33 PM
What kind of gas do you use David?

SPEEDEP
01-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Ya mine stinks too I have 10,000 km on my EP now. STILL STINKS LIKE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burgh
01-21-2003, 10:28 AM
I can vouch for the octane thing - using higher octane than 87 makes it more likely for your car to stink. The only time that my hatch has ever had that problem was on the two days that I filled up with 89 octane rather than 87, which is what I usually put in. Not sure exactly why higher octane causes the smell, but I know that's the reason.

David K.
01-21-2003, 01:58 PM
What kind of gas do you use David?

Mostly 87 for my daily driving, occasionally 93.

AkronSi
01-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Since I'm waiting for someone to call me back, I did a little research. According to the Interantional Joint Commision (www.ijc.org), the current sulfur content of gasoline in Canada and USA is around 300 - 350 ppm. Ontario is the exception with averages around 550 ppm.

California has very stringent rules requiring the sulfur content to be limited to either 40 or 30 ppm annual average with a maximum of 80 ppm. And, a bonus note, high sulfur levels do cause problems for cars

The automobile industry states that high levels of sulfur degrade the efficiency of catalytic converters and oxygen sensing technology, which are critical components in automobile emission control systems.

I did find a study showing the sulfur contents of brands, but it was blinded (you couldn't tell which brand was which). The brands averaged from 140 - 420 ppm.

I found that BP is introducing low sulfur gas in certain areas, I know that Atlanta is definately on the list.

That's about all I found on sulfur levels in gas. I have notices, in my own un-scientific test, that BP seems to be the best as far as eliminating the smell as compaired to Citgo, Giant Eagle and Sheetz.

Has anyone tried to get an answer from the dealer?

Dunrick
01-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Ever since I've been using costco 92 - I havn't had that smell once....only 87 costco

do you think the octanes have different sulpher levels?

carpsir
01-23-2003, 10:57 AM
I am doing further research on this topic due to a customer
complaint on an 03 Accord and have found in Canada that the
petroleum industry has initiated a program to bring down the
sulphur content of gasoline from 2-300 ppms to @20 ppms
so this is an ongoing problem with solutions in the works

ep3
04-14-2003, 10:17 PM
by sulphuric, do you mean like somewhat burning??? i recently noticed that when i come to a stop and when i park my car in the garage i smell something burning. is that what you guys mean by sulphuric?

JLannoo
04-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ep3
by sulphuric, do you mean like somewhat burning??? i recently noticed that when i come to a stop and when i park my car in the garage i smell something burning. is that what you guys mean by sulphuric?

Not really. Its that rotten egg smell.

Dunrick
04-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Rotton egg/warm fart either or....

Try higher octane, and see if it still happens...that worked for me (92 octane)