PDA

View Full Version : HID problem

NonCents
03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey guys,
How hard is it to install HID's, seems like the biggest pain in the ass ever.

I bought some bi-xenons and tried to install them. Ran into a few problems. All I need to know is which wires plug into where on the harness.

Heres a picture I drew up. This is how I had them setup and saw the best results.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t214/shapeshiftstudios/Untitled-1-1.jpg

This cant be right though. When I turn on the highbeams the lights shut off. Also my highbeams interior dash light stays on even when switched to Lows.

Where Do I plug these suckers in? I thought I tried every possible way but I must be missing something.

Thanks for your help

Jpax
03-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah theirs a few things You have to do to make them work, Im get some peeps to chime in here when they get off work and explain that shit, they helped install mine but I was working on other stuff so I don't remember Everything. anyone else have the info on that shit

NonCents
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks dude, So frustrating spending 2 hours on such an easy install. I'm trying again tonight and won't stop till they work.

Jpax
03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Ok so I called them and left a message to get on here and answer the question ~ one of them is at work till 1am the other one is stoned and dosn't remember shit and I will try and research some too. wheres Doug when you need him, he has all the answers.

STP03BlueSI
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
My HID's are installed where they are powered by High beams on. (Non dual bulb no high/low change)

When I talked to the company they said Flip the Connector on the ballast...I was like WTF! Really? um no. So i just deal with the "high beam" light

Passenger
03-19-2010, 11:32 PM
My HID's are installed where they are powered by High beams on. (Non dual bulb no high/low change)

When I talked to the company they said Flip the Connector on the ballast...I was like WTF! Really? um no. So i just deal with the "high beam" light

Want to explain that in lamens terms please? Reason I ask is cause this is the same thing thats going on w/ my gf's cavalier after I installed hers. mine turned out fine.

STP03BlueSI
03-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Want to explain that in lamens terms please? Reason I ask is cause this is the same thing thats going on w/ my gf's cavalier after I installed hers. mine turned out fine.

ok ballast in your hand( Power block) - Has a connector with a Red(powa) and Black wire that connects to the Wiring housing to the car. On that block there is a tab that holds it a certain way. He told me to just Flip that and shove it on. and it would work.

I dont have pics but can on sunday when i swap my bumper.

Passenger
03-19-2010, 11:47 PM
ok ballast in your hand( Power block) - Has a connector with a Red(powa) and Black wire that connects to the Wiring housing to the car. On that block there is a tab that holds it a certain way. He told me to just Flip that and shove it on. and it would work.

I dont have pics but can on sunday when i swap my bumper.

Ok, awesome I did not know that. One more thing, the 04 cavvys came w/ day time running lights will HIDs just stay on when she puts the car in drive or will they just not come on until she turns the headlights on?

Demonicrsx
03-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Couple things you want to check, you said they are bi-xenon, on the back of the bulb there should be a big relay, circular, but it doesn't look like a normal hid bulb. If you do have that, then it does mean you do have a bi-xenon bulb. To get the correct polarity, you need a volt-meter. There is only one ground, while the other are your low and high. Test which wire has power when you have the headlight switch on. From there, usually with rebased HID kits, you would need to switch the pins out from the harness that came with your HID kit that connects to the stock headlight plug. The harness should have the same three prongs plug just like the stock headlight plug. If you do not have a harness, do try to get one as this would help with the power surges you will get during power up of the ballasts. It will not do any harm to your HID kit when you switch the pin as long you have the ground connected, worse it will blow your headlight fuse. The problem that you are having is that the low beam polarity is connected with the high beam polarity, therefore, you have a reverse effect. Hope that helps.

XenithXenons
03-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Hopefully I can chime in with some useful info. Firstly, you will need to disable your DRLs if they take use any sort of power less than your OEM halogen bulb. If they are the sort of DRLs that turn on full power whenever the car is on, you can continue to use them although we don't recommend it since it will decrease the life of your bulb (since they're on all the time, even in the day). In most cars, you can disable the DRL by removing the DRL fuse from the OEM fuse box (exact location is unknown so take a look at the diagram on the fuse box lid).

Second, take a look at our recently-uploaded installation guide for our 3G Bi-xenon conversion kits. Even though your lights aren't by us, the general setup should be very similar and you might benefit from some photos we uploaded as well as the directions we wrote. You can find the installation guide, along with all of our other guides, at http://www.xenithxenons.com/category_s/13.htm.

Passenger
03-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Hopefully I can chime in with some useful info. Firstly, you will need to disable your DRLs if they take use any sort of power less than your OEM halogen bulb. If they are the sort of DRLs that turn on full power whenever the car is on, you can continue to use them although we don't recommend it since it will decrease the life of your bulb (since they're on all the time, even in the day). In most cars, you can disable the DRL by removing the DRL fuse from the OEM fuse box (exact location is unknown so take a look at the diagram on the fuse box lid).

appreciate it! Sorry to thread jack OP