PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are running 15" wheels?

tkm
11-29-2002, 03:01 PM
I'm definitely going to get new wheels for my ep, but I am seriously considering 15" wheels as opposed toi 16" wheels. 15's are cheaper and have cheaper tire selections too.

Probably go with some 15x7's for the width, but with the car lowered (GroundControls on the way), I'm thinking 15's will look ok.

I guess at least I am not downsizing from stock size, which is good.

ep3guy
11-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by tkm
I'm definitely going to get new wheels for my ep, but I am seriously considering 15" wheels as opposed toi 16" wheels. 15's are cheaper and have cheaper tire selections too.

Probably go with some 15x7's for the width, but with the car lowered (GroundControls on the way), I'm thinking 15's will look ok.

I guess at least I am not downsizing from stock size, which is good.

i am probably planning on getting 15" slipstreams. tires are a lot cheaper than 16s. im currently on neuspeed race springs, i hope 15s will look good, still kinda deciding whether to get 15s or 16s.

Suk02Si
11-30-2002, 03:02 AM
I'm also looking into Spoon 15's, only 8.5lbs! Sounds good to me;)

CleanBlackSi02
11-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Check out my poll:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3431

tkm
11-30-2002, 11:56 AM
I am amazed at the number of people who want 18's for their car. Bye-bye acceleration, no matter how light the wheel is.

IceD out N CALI
11-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by tkm
I am amazed at the number of people who want 18's for their car. Bye-bye acceleration, no matter how light the wheel is.

true-thats why lightweight 17's are a good balance and probably what i'll opt for :)

02blksi
11-30-2002, 05:08 PM
I have 15 inch slips (flat black)
I chose function over BLING BLING. :) --joe

IMO - the best tire size for 15's and for our car in general is
205/50/15's!

hamlet9634
12-01-2002, 04:57 PM
I originally was going to go with lightweight 15's (the Konig heliums in bronze were great for my last car.. only 10.9 lbs), but since the brakes that are getting prepared for the car (Docofmind's two piece set-up is actually on my car) won't fit under 15's, i HAVE to go with a larger size.

as far as wheels go, the trick is to go with the smallest size possible that will clear your brakes, then go as light as you can in that size. I made the mistakes of going with big wheels in the past. Slows you down, makes the car clunky to drive (reduced turn in, less power on the ground, more unsprung weight, etc. etc), and even worsens your braking.

If you guys are staying with stock brakes, 15's are the way to go. If you want big brakes, they should still fit under 16's. 17's are only for looks, let's be honest. And what, exactly, are we compensating for with giant wheels? (any truckheads with 22 inch chromes reading this?)

hamlet9634
12-01-2002, 05:02 PM
by the way, i'll be running 16x7.5 kosei K1's with a 32 offset. I'm not sure if they'll fit, but they weigh less than 15lbs each, have enough room for huge brakes, and will be painted flat black (maybe gunmetal) to run on my silver EP. When i get the brakes and wheels on the car (if they fit.. crossing fingers), I'll take pics for you guys.. well, actually docofmind will.

and 205/45 yokohama parada spec II's probably will be running on the wheels. I'm a big fan of the falkens, but the 215/45/16 might be too much rubber on the civic, and they are HEAVY tires anyway. 23lbs for the 215/45/16 vs just under 20lbs for the 205/45/16 yokos. Overall diameter of the wheel/tire will be an inch less than stock, which means the speedo and tach will be off, but it means i'll have more power on the ground. Good tradeoff, no?

tkm
12-02-2002, 09:39 AM
I've noticed a frightening trend with the ep's is people putting 17's or bigger on the cars. I mostly started this thread to see who would agree that 15's are plenty.

15's or 16's here. No more. All that money spent on large wheels can be put toward performance parts or driving schools.

And hamlet, no such thing as too much rubber, especially when running a 15 or 16. Great grip and acceleration rule.

hamlet9634
12-02-2002, 10:32 AM
the "too much rubber" comment was based on the fact that i'm running a 7.5 inch wide wheel with a 32 offset. I haven't yet put the wheels on the car to see what kind of clearance I have, but i'm worried about fitting all that rubber inside the wheelwells with the offset that i have.

though i'd PREFER to run a 215/45 azenis tire (the only size they come in 16's), I may be forced to go with yokos (either paradas or ES100) in the 205/45 size just to make these things fit without rubbing everything all to hell.

there ARE downsides to lots of rubber, though: #1 weight. The azenis in 215/45 weighs 3-4 lbs more PER TIRE than the 205/45 yokos. #2, more tracking in grooved roads. #3 more noise. #4 reduced turn in and steering response.

gotta weight the pros and cons, though.. more grip is NICE..

goy091
12-02-2002, 12:28 PM
for 16" wouldnt a 205/50/16 tire be used rather than a 205/45? for + sizing i thinkg the 50 profile wont throw ur speedo off. the newer 7th gen civics have larger wheel wells so thats why more people are hopping on to the 18" rim. personally the largest i would put would be 17", but theyd have to be damn light. 15" seems to work fine for my GSR. im ordering a 16" wheel for the EP to fill al ittle of the gap, but for track events i think a 15" would do fine. plus the tires for a 15" are a lot cheaper than a a 17" and easier to find than a 16", 16" tire selection is very limited.

oh btw, where did you get you K1's thats the wheel im looking for! or if you wanna sell them :D

CleanBlackSi02
12-02-2002, 12:45 PM
What do guys think is the stickiest tire with our stock sizing 195/60/15? I was planning on 205/55/15 Kumho 712's since they don't make 'em in a 60 series...

tkm
12-02-2002, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't call a Kumho 712 "sticky".

I think the S-03 and SP8000 comes in that size, and both are far superior to the 712.

goy091
12-02-2002, 01:25 PM
i think most people who opt for a 15" wheel use a lower profile tire. ie 205/50/15, itll throw your speedo off a little. as for a sticky tire S03's are nice but expensive, and since almost everyone looks at bang for the buck ill plug the Falken Azenis in 205/50/15

CleanBlackSi02
12-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tkm
I wouldn't call a Kumho 712 "sticky".

I think the S-03 and SP8000 comes in that size, and both are far superior to the 712.
Have you had experience running on all of the models you've mentioned? Do tell... I need to pick up some new rubber ASAP!

tkm
12-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Have you had experience running on all of the models you've mentioned? Do tell... I need to pick up some new rubber ASAP!

Yes, but not as much experiece with the Sp8000, although they are still better than the Kumho 712 in terms of grip IMO.

What size do you want though? In any size, Azenis are #1 on my list, followed by the BFG KD and then the S03. If you want to stick with 205/55/15, then the S03's will be the best tires in that size by far.

CleanBlackSi02
12-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by tkm

Yes, but not as much experiece with the Sp8000, although they are still better than the Kumho 712 in terms of grip IMO.

What size do you want though? In any size, Azenis are #1 on my list, followed by the BFG KD and then the S03. If you want to stick with 205/55/15, then the S03's will be the best tires in that size by far.
As long as I'm on stock wheels I will probably run 205/55. Why do you prefer the Azenis?

ortedd
12-02-2002, 03:22 PM
i plan on running 14" steelies. . . . for my snow tires, otherwise it will be 15s

tkm
12-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

As long as I'm on stock wheels I will probably run 205/55. Why do you prefer the Azenis?

Azenis absolutely rock for the price. Probably the grippiest street tire out there (or equal with the BFG KD). In a 205/55/15 though, the S03 is a great choice, and just below the BFG KD and Azenis in terms of grip.

02si
12-02-2002, 06:38 PM
From the pictures this car is just a sweet dropped on stocks as the 99-00 is when its dropped on stocks.

Plus sizing the rim and tire will decrease acceleration and add weight in about any instance

Fortunately we have the option of adding type R body cladding to complete the look.

For me

I'll take the original rims, aftermarket tires, a nice drop and the ctr front lip and rear apron, and hopefully some type of black circuit car race wing.

Or maybe no wing at all.
Just a thought

hamlet9634
12-02-2002, 09:48 PM
i've said this before regarding the kumho 712's. They suck. They are NOT sticky. They tear apart under hard driving. They develop vibrations under stress.

find another choice. speaking from experience here.

and as far as the 205/50 vs 205/45 comment on 16" wheels. I know the 205/50 is would be the same overall diameter as what we have stock. I was hoping for a smaller overall diameter to improve power delivery to the ground. I don't mind so much throwing off my speedo.

B18CXr
12-03-2002, 05:52 PM
712's suck a fatty

P700z's are tops in my book for the money....

205/50/15 Slipstreams here

stock wheel and tyre, 40lbs,

above combo 32lbs :)

chunky
12-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by tkm

Azenis absolutely rock for the price. Probably the grippiest street tire out there (or equal with the BFG KD). In a 205/55/15 though, the S03 is a great choice, and just below the BFG KD and Azenis in terms of grip.

the only thing i don't like about the azenis is the treadwear. you WILL be replacing tires every 10k miles if you drive them hard at all. If you get more, you either don't drive very hard, or you drive exclusively on mirror smooth, well paved roads.

However, the pole position s-03's have just as much grip, and FAR superior treadwear.

Both the s-03's and azenis are inferior in grip to the bf goodrich g-force KD. The kd's will probably even net you more mileage than the azenis, even though they are a stickier tire, they stand up to heat much better (very important if you live in a hot climate). From what i've heard, the azenis will overheat easily during the summer here in GA.

As much as the 712's suck, they are an excellent bargain tire. it's hard to beat the bang for the buck. Although I hear there is a new set of yokohama or toyo tires that threaten to take that crown from the 712's. i can't remember the name of the tire, but it's like 60$ a tire for most common 15" and 16" sizes.

Quake3 Guy
12-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Check out this link http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/plustest.html to a Grassroots Motorsports article where they tested a Civic on the track, they went plus-one, two, three, and four, from 14" wheels to 17". The lap times of four out of the five test drivers went down when they used the 17" wheels. Seems like the 17's advantage in the corners "outweighed" their increased weight. On the strip though, 15's would be better because of their lighter weight. 17's look good, but most of them are just way too heavy.

CleanBlackSi02
12-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by B18CXr
712's suck a fatty

P700z's are tops in my book for the money....

205/50/15 Slipstreams here

stock wheel and tyre, 40lbs,

above combo 32lbs :)
Post pics!!

tkm
12-03-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Quake3 Guy
Check out this link http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/plustest.html to a Grassroots Motorsports article where they tested a Civic on the track, they went plus-one, two, three, and four, from 14" wheels to 17". The lap times of four out of the five test drivers went down when they used the 17" wheels. Seems like the 17's advantage in the corners "outweighed" their increased weight. On the strip though, 15's would be better because of their lighter weight. 17's look good, but most of them are just way too heavy.

That test cracks me up everytime I read it. Any moron could tell you that a 215 width 17" tire will out grip a 185width 14" tire any and every time on the track.

As size increased, so did width. This test is just isn't a good comparison and is subpar for a typical Grassroots offering.

Give me a 225 15" tire over a 225 17" tire *anyday* of the week.

tkm
12-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by chunky

the only thing i don't like about the azenis is the treadwear. you WILL be replacing tires every 10k miles if you drive them hard at all. If you get more, you either don't drive very hard, or you drive exclusively on mirror smooth, well paved roads.

However, the pole position s-03's have just as much grip, and FAR superior treadwear.

Both the s-03's and azenis are inferior in grip to the bf goodrich g-force KD. The kd's will probably even net you more mileage than the azenis, even though they are a stickier tire, they stand up to heat much better (very important if you live in a hot climate). From what i've heard, the azenis will overheat easily during the summer here in GA.

As much as the 712's suck, they are an excellent bargain tire. it's hard to beat the bang for the buck. Although I hear there is a new set of yokohama or toyo tires that threaten to take that crown from the 712's. i can't remember the name of the tire, but it's like 60$ a tire for most common 15" and 16" sizes.

The S03's do not have quite the ultimate grip level of the Azenis, and they are even more prone to heat soak.

BFG KD and azenis are even in terms of overall grip, but the KD does not heat soak as much as the azenis.

So for the price, nothing can touch the Azenis. And for the overall performance, the KD edges out the Azenis ever so slightly because of the better heat tolerance.

Trust me on this--I *do* know what I am talking about.

2002 SCCA SoloII National Championship
2nd place, STX
00 Integra Type R

chunky
12-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by tkm

The S03's do not have quite the ultimate grip level of the Azenis, and they are even more prone to heat soak.

BFG KD and azenis are even in terms of overall grip, but the KD does not heat soak as much as the azenis.

So for the price, nothing can touch the Azenis. And for the overall performance, the KD edges out the Azenis ever so slightly because of the better heat tolerance.

Trust me on this--I *do* know what I am talking about.

2002 SCCA SoloII National Championship
2nd place, STX
00 Integra Type R

impressive credentials. 2nd place in stx at the nationals definitely earns my respect.

but in my experience, the s-03's grip as well as the azenis, and offer better wet traction, esp when the tread gets low.

but the difference if any is small. so it's up to you, buy one set of s-03's and have them last as long as two sets of azenis or the other way around, it ends up being almost the same $$$ in the end.

hamlet9634
12-04-2002, 04:20 AM
regarding those azenis tires:

there are two downsides as far as i can see that other people haven't mentioned. 1st, they're heavy tires. About 2-3 lbs more weight per tire in any given size. True that they grip better for the price than anything out there, but is that increased grip always better considering the couple extra pounds of weight? (I tend to think yes, but hey, what do I know?)

second: sizing.. the azenis offers kinda limited sizing options, especially for 16" wheels. There's only th 215/45 size, which might actually be ideal for our cars (if it fits with the offset I'm planning on running).

by the way, anyone interested in purchasing a set of TWO konig helium wheels in bronze with a pair of *almost* brand new azenis tires in the 205/50/15 tires, let me know. My upgraded brakes don't let me run a 15" wheel, and as such, I have to unload these wheels. The wheels weigh 10.9 lbs each and are great for roads or racing.

I only bought have two cuz i started racing on the cheap and only had race wheels/tires for the fronts.

make me an offer.. i'm in nyc

Quake3 Guy
12-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by tkm

That test cracks me up everytime I read it. Any moron could tell you that a 215 width 17" tire will out grip a 185width 14" tire any and every time on the track.

As size increased, so did width. This test is just isn't a good comparison and is subpar for a typical Grassroots offering.

Give me a 225 15" tire over a 225 17" tire *anyday* of the week.

Yeah, I forgot to add that info to my post, thanks for bringing it up. I ran across that article while reading about GRM's EP ST autocross car. I was mainly interested in the 16" to 17" comparison. Good information about the different 15" tires everyone. The only thing I can add is that because 15" tires have a smaller diameter, if you lower your car to where you think it looks good, you start running out of suspension travel unless you have coil-overs.

tkm
12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by chunky

impressive credentials. 2nd place in stx at the nationals definitely earns my respect.

but in my experience, the s-03's grip as well as the azenis, and offer better wet traction, esp when the tread gets low.

but the difference if any is small. so it's up to you, buy one set of s-03's and have them last as long as two sets of azenis or the other way around, it ends up being almost the same $$$ in the end.

The S-03, if shaved like a mofo, will generate almost as much grip as the azenis. It is close, but not quite as grippy. If full tread, the S03 is too squirmy. However, your average daily driver won't notice this as I am basing all of my findings on SoloII. For a daily driven tire though, I definitely give the nod to the S03.

carbonSI
01-03-2003, 05:50 AM
i know dayum right, im not going with anything over 16's, ima get some 16 in slips, in gunmetal, on my silver ep, probly pirelli rubber p7000's... i can get slips any color 16's $500 shipped, no tires... 13.5lbs :D -mike

2k2SiAutoXer
01-03-2003, 06:07 AM
hey hamlet, do you have any pics of the wheels?

--Tom

hamlet9634
01-03-2003, 06:57 AM
I was waiting to get a few more mods done before i post pictures of the car. I spent all day Jan 1 trying to put on a wilwood big brake kit, but after rounding a nut then breaking a bango bolt off inside the new caliper, i wound up with a one-sided big brake kit and a very sore back. We took a couple pictures of the side that actually did go on the car, but with the wheels off. The car still has not been lowered (still waiting for KYB to get off their asses with AGX struts and i don't want to lower the car on factory struts and have to redo all the work when the struts blow in 6 months).

Nonetheless, pictures of a silver EP with black Kosei K1 racing wheels in a 16" size (minimum needed for this brake kit) and a 32mm offset (LOTS of caliper clearance there) will be posted in the next couple weeks.

cabron
01-05-2003, 06:41 PM
I also run 15" as well. I have OZ Superleggras on my ride. I think they are small but most everyone has 17's or 18's on now days. If you could get super lightweight 17's, I'd get 'em, but 15's are cheaper, lighter, better gas mileage, ect.

IceD out N CALI
01-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by cabron
I also run 15" as well. I have OZ Superleggras on my ride. I think they are small but most everyone has 17's or 18's on now days. If you could get super lightweight 17's, I'd get 'em, but 15's are cheaper, lighter, better gas mileage, ect.

got any pics of those 15 inch oz's. (off topic) you're not a cabron are you?:D

cabron
01-05-2003, 07:40 PM
I post pics when I get ahold of a digital camera. BTW I am a cabron, most often at least.