PDA

View Full Version : Could use some tips to using VHT Nite Shades

Twisted-X
03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Hello all.
I'm going to tint my stock side markers, and would like to know how many "passes" you guys (gals) used?

groovezog
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
After having done all the lights on my car, I'd say it's fairly easy. Some tips:
- Make sure they're really clean. Don't use Windex or anything with ammonia, and find a glass cleaner that doesn't leave any residue or film. Obviously, don't touch the surface after you clean them.
- Try to practice beforehand on another piece of plastic to get a feel for the spray.
- VHT runs easier than regular paint, but it's not that bad. I held the can about 8-10" away. Some people say much more, but that was enough to keep it from running, and keep the application really glossy.
- Let the paint dry about 10 minutes in between coats.
- I did about six coats on my taillights, and eight on my bumper lights and fender lights. I have pics here. (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53560)
- Hold the light up to the sun to get a good idea of what they will look like in the day, and also let the sun shine through the lens to simulate a light bulb inside. That is the best way I know to figure out how dark you want to go.
- When you're satisfied with the tint, make sure to do several coats of clear. I did about 5 light coats, and I held the can close enough to get a "wet" looking coat, so they look really glossy.
- You must do all of the painting, and let the lights dry, in a very clean place that isn't too cold. You don't want dust or cat hair settling on the paint.

If you screw it up really bad, just wet-sand them down and start again. You won't completely ruin your lights doing this.

Hope that helps!

Twisted-X
03-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks! I was thinking about cleaning them with eyeglass cleaner (isopropyl alcohol). Nice pics. :mcool:

groovezog
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks! I was thinking about cleaning them with eyeglass cleaner (isopropyl alcohol). Nice pics. :mcool:
Post some pics up when you do this. Or, better yet, do a HOW TO with some images to help re-build the site a bit, and make it easier for some others :D

Twisted-X
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Think I will. I just hope it doesn't become a "how not", as Murphy's Law loves me. :-D

Twisted-X
03-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Okay, I've got them painted, but I've got a problem (go Murphy!). I made sure the spray nozzle was clear before I sprayed each time (and mixed it constantly), but no matter what I did I got little ('bout .5 mm) specks in it. I got it pretty dark, so they're hard to see from 4 feet away, but they annoy me. I've got some 800 grit "crocus" paper somewhere, is it safe to lightly sand on this? Will two coats of clear fill in any sand marks I make?

Thanks

Edit:

Here's a photo of the trial I did on an old CD case:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/VHT%20Niteshades/PICT0212.jpg

groovezog
03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Weird.
The lights should not be laying flat on the ground when you spray...or drops that form on the nozzle will fall straight down onto the plastic. Holding the can at an angle will contribute to that.
The can should be held straight up and down. Any larger diameter drops will fall quicker than the atomized drops, and shouldn't reach the lights.

Don't poke the nozzle with a needle to clean the tip. Hold it upside-down to clear the nozzle after you're done (not necessarily between coats).

Don't point the nozzle at the surface and then spray. Rather, point it away, press the tip down, and then aim at the surface after the paint is already flowing.

That's about all I know for eliminating those little spots. Hope that helps.

groovezog
03-30-2010, 05:34 PM
You shouldn't have to sand them. If you really want to, use some 1500-2000 grit, and wet sand it. I don't think you should though. Definitely NOT with 800. That's too coarse.

Twisted-X
03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Hmm. Okay, that could be part of my problem. I was doing everything you said, but with the side markers about six inches off the ground so the can was at a downward angle. Oh well, no biggie. I've got another set of the Ebay ones if I don't like the way these look on the car. I will definitely paint the fronts with the can level.

On another note, don't use 800 grit sandpaper to "rough-up" your side markers like the link I posted stated. I can also see swirl marks through my new darkness. :heh:

If you haven't guessed yet, I don't to a whole lot of rattle canning... Thanks again for the help.

Funny thing is, the camera doesn't pick up any of this:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/VHT%20Niteshades/PICT0211a-1.jpg

Albeit a crappy camera...