PDA

View Full Version : DeadPhishy's k24 Rebuild thread

Deadphishy
03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I suppose I should start a new build thread since my car is once again under the knife.
I'm at work right now so i can't do photobucket. But i'll be post up some pictures of the process tonight.

Long story short.

Broke the timing chain, took motor apart to inspec, Putting motor back together with a few extra goodies.......

No bent Valves thats good.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/8d224d8e.jpg

Pistons and Walls look good.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/c6139b34.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/3c637ec2.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/6f4d1538.jpg

Yum, Yum, she is getting closer......

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/8b322f4e.jpg

Vtac up close and personal
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/75963967.jpg

Um where did my wheel go?
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/deadphishy/eb858295.jpg

Twisted-X
03-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow. Did anything happen to cause the broken chain?

Deadphishy
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Me being dumb, and not making sure it was seated right on the guides. Chain cut a groove into all 3 guides. And those things arn't cheap.

Deadphishy
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Sorry, I didn't take as many photo's as i wanted too.... Oh well.

Deadphishy
04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I suppose i should make a list of what i'm doing to the car.

First the block is a k24a1
BluePrint Ultra-lite rods
11.5:1 CP pistons
k20a2 Oil pump and Oil cooler

Head
k20a2 head
Supertech valve springs
Brian Crower Stage 2 NA cams
PRB IM stock TB........

DCRH to a 2.25" Mid-pipe and stock muffler

With this exhaust and Intake set up, i'm hoping for a strong 240WHP on e85. with about 200 WTQ

If i went with something a lot bigger, i would expect to be near the 260whp mark.

For the Front suspention

I'm running LCA's from a 03 with a lot less miles then mine has. Having the bushings replaced with ES poly bushings.
J's Roll center adjusters.
Paired with an EM2 front swap
Tokico HTS shocks (Just like DTS only red)
Tein S tech springs to keep it soft.

Rear
HFP rear shock
Tein S techs
Type S rear sway-bar.

Jpax
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
If you have an engine stand it really makes it easier to build the engine out of the car then in the car. but you have to do what you have to do.

Deadphishy
04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
haha, I just took the head off the car to have it inspected. Didn't really do any Building......... head was redone and now i'm putting it back on. timing chain might have been done a little quicker but it was ok. Not the first time i've done it in the car. I do have an Engine stand, but it has a k20a3 on it.........

Deadphishy
04-04-2010, 07:02 AM
So this is a nice little story.

2 days ago i was sitting at work when i thought to myself. I don't remember puttting the top bolt in, on the timing chain guide, before i sealed up the cover. So yesterday i take a look and can't see the bolt, or the hole. Which is Odd because you should be able to see that bolt even with the Chain cover on. I take a screw drvier and wedge it just a little between the guide and the head. The guide flexes. Damn i think, forgot to put the bolt in.
So i take the timing chain cover off again.
When i go to put the bolt in, there is no hole? or atleast the holes between the guide and the head don't line up.
Turns out i put one of my many k20 guides on instead of the k24 guide.
Damn, I got lucky that i couldn't remember putting that bolt in.

Anyway, did some more work yesterday. I got the motor back on all 4 mounts, with new black ESMM inserts. I got the left front control arm back on with the new ES LCA bushings in. (Those are a pain in the ars to install)

things i'm doing today. (instead of dinner with the family) hehe, gotta take the time when i have it.
Connecting all the coolant line, and T-state housings.
Pressing in the Right control arm bushings.
Regreasing the Tops of my shocks
Installing the Intake manifold and all of its goodies.

03Si757
04-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Man, wish I had the time and money to do a little overhauling and upgrading to my ride, next year man, next year. Cool little thread....

Deadphishy
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I put all of the coolant lines back on today. Also got the front left knuck/brakes/shock assembly back on. I cut the hell out of my finger getting the tie rod off. But i got off finally.

Things left to do....
Manifold TB and all it's glory.
Exhaust goes back up.
Install new front right axle. (after i buy one)
Put front right knuck/brake/shock back together
front sway bar
Double check Subframe
add oil
add coolant
..................pray i didn't forget anything.

Yo_KyleEP3
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
im a noob, but i wanna look into putting a turbo on my ep lol

Deadphishy
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
im a noob, but i wanna look into putting a turbo on my ep lol
I'll help you put it on noob, if you want.
I've never drilled a hole in stamped steel to run an Oil return line, but there is always a first. getting the pan off is a b^tch, but i've done it enough times.

Deadphishy
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Going to be picking up my axle soon. Should be done this weekend. :)

Deadphishy
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I got my right axle, and put the Front right suspension back together. I also switched to the smaller k20a2 Crank pully. I used the k20a2 Alternator as well, because it has a larger pulley on it. That small underdrive should net a few extra HP.

All i need to do is. Put the exhaust back up, Put the IM back on. Put the sway bar back on. Check all the engine mounts, and sub-frame bolts. Do a 1970's Alignment with string. Put oil in, put coolant in, and start her up!

I have some PWD JDM magnetic plugs coming in the mail. So i'm excited about that.

Deadphishy
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow, what a day. But She runs!

Took all day to figure out that my Map sensor was bad. Got it replaced and she runs good. Sway bar is not bolted up so i couldnt drive it. But the motor ran.

03hondacivicep3
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM
nice to hear im looking into replacing my rods and pistons do to the fact i have the a4 instead of the a1 but still a 2.4 lol

Deadphishy
04-12-2010, 07:37 PM
what are your plans? Race motor? or fun DD

Deadphishy
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Drove the EP to work today........oh happy day. Its been over 2 months since i last drove it.

Side notes.
Car runs solid. One thing i noticed and i'm sure its the base map i got for the BC cams. But when i let off the gas the car glides a lot better then it did before. before the injectors turned off right away and the car almost jolted back. Car needs to be tuned. I have a mixture of E85 and gas in the tank. (added fresh gas when the car would start, thinking the gas had gone bad). So i'll have to run it down before i mess with it.

I have a Knock sensor malifunction CEL. Don't know what that is about. Good thing my base map is for 91 Octain, and i'm running 100. keep those knocks down untill i can figure out the sensor problem.

Deadphishy
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Did some basic Part throttle tuning, and put some more miles on the motor. She seems to be running even smoother now. Still waiting on a knock sensor, but she feels like she has some power. I do know she doesn't break the tires free in 2nd like she did. I'm sure she just needs a little less fuel and a little more ignition. Also helps that the power dosn't jump so fast. Keeping Vtec at 5300 seems to make for a smooth transistion.