PDA

View Full Version : Accidently hit my fuel cut-off today, did I hurt it?

ep pilot
11-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Ok guy's the inevitable happened today and it's got me worried. I am going to get on a connecter ramp heading for the highway. I enter the ramp very conservatively cruising when god-d#@%$-it a fully loaded down '94-'95ish ford windstar goes from the number one lane to the off ramp; cutting me off. I had to abruptly apply brake pressure to avoid a collision, however I was so upset that I went from a forth gear kick-down all theway to 3rd. my frustration sent my sub-compact passing this clown on the left in the shoulder (you would have had to have been there to imagine) but it was beautiful, except my excitement in lieu of my execution left me puzzled why the car would not accelerate any more? I freaking hit the fuel cut-off. I was listening to eminem cranked up about half way and the sweet sound off the engine made me lose track at the tach speed. I am worried because my car had 10150 miles on it at the time and feel that I may have damaged something because it's not broken in, prior to this moment I have shifted before 4K and entirely hit the cut-off on accident.

-Ryan

Glix2
11-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Dude you're freaking out over nothing.

IceD out N CALI
11-29-2002, 04:52 PM
dont sweat it you should be fine-just dont be hitting the cutoff every day;)

ep pilot
11-29-2002, 05:16 PM
I'm just getting used to my car, I was driving an anemic 115 hp 5/spd Jetta prior to the (EP) and let me tell you, that car had an acceleration requester, not a gas pedal. You mash it and wait like 2 min and the car speeds up gradually, my (EP) is an entirely different animal. I did not think I would be hitting the fuel cut-off that soon.

-Ryan

natesi
11-29-2002, 06:51 PM
10,000 miles is well past break-in. The fuel cut off is to avoid damage, so you couldn't have done any. That's what it's made for.

Awesome job passing that retarded minivan. I can just imagine it--feels so good!

So, you've been shifting at 4K for 10,000 miles?? Wow; you're a strong man!

I usually come close to redline once every day or two. Today I was feeling sausy and must have hit it about 4 times.

cbecker333
11-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ep pilot
I'm just getting used to my car, I was driving an anemic 115 hp 5/spd Jetta prior to the (EP) and let me tell you, that car had an acceleration requester, not a gas pedal. You mash it and wait like 2 min and the car speeds up gradually, my (EP) is an entirely different animal. I did not think I would be hitting the fuel cut-off that soon.

-Ryan

Your car can totally handle it.....After months of protecting my baby and letting nobody else drive it, I finally let my crazy uncle tear into my Si at 7000. He must have hit the rev limiter 3 different times because he was just having too much fun. Personally, I've hit it once. I never let it worry me, tho. Happy revving!

RocketHatch
11-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Hell if your not hitting the rev. limit every once and a while your not driving it hard enough. My 92 integra lived on its limiter and it had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. Thats the difference between Honda motors and everything esle they are so over engineered that they can take some the abuse.

RocketHatch
11-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Hell if your not hitting the rev. limit every once and a while your not driving it hard enough. My 92 integra lived on its limiter and it had 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. Thats the difference between Honda motors and everything esle they are so over engineered that they can take some the abuse.

02blksi
11-30-2002, 02:36 PM
OMG! are you serious, what are you guys talking about his engine is TOAST!!!!
I cant believe this... Hopefully honda will have mercy on you, and give you another engine. One sure fire way to tell if the engine is toast is to do the "taste test",
basically with the car off (you dont want to get to much CO in your system) Lick the insides of the OEM exhaust, if it tastes like chicken your OK! If it tastes like unburnt gas/oil your engine is Gone.. Good luck let us know how you make out --Joe.

TrippZ
11-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
I cant believe this... Hopefully honda will have mercy on you, and give you another engine. One sure fire way to tell if the engine is toast is to do the "taste test",
basically with the car off (you dont want to get to much CO in your system) Lick the insides of the OEM exhaust, if it tastes like chicken your OK! If it tastes like unburnt gas/oil your engine is Gone.. Good luck let us know how you make out --Joe.

might wanna mention this is a joke.. yknow... just in case someone trys it..

JSIR
11-30-2002, 04:53 PM
on a good dyno session we may hit my rev limiter 4-5 times on purpose, not a problem in any sense, it just does its job, much earlier than needed.

02blksi
11-30-2002, 05:01 PM
trippz if after reading " Lick the insides of the OEM exhaust, if it tastes like chicken your OK!" you cant tell im joking then, well.... You have more problems than just hitting the rev limiter :) LOL - Joe.

cbecker333
11-30-2002, 09:47 PM
trippz if after reading " Lick the insides of the OEM exhaust, if it tastes like chicken your OK!" you cant tell im joking then, well.... You have more problems than just hitting the rev limiter :) LOL - Joe.

I'm talking about a place where the sarcasm flows like wine...I'm talking about a little place called ASSpen....

Glix2
11-30-2002, 09:54 PM
I think he's freaking because he had teh Eminem blasting so loud that he was driving on teh freeway with teh car in teh third gear bouncing happily off teh rev limiter for like 2 miles Yo.

SiCivic2k2
12-01-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

I'm talking about a place where the sarcasm flows like wine...I'm talking about a little place called ASSpen....

I love that movie :)

ortedd
12-01-2002, 07:27 AM
Originaly posted by ep pilot

acceleration requester, that shit made me laugh

SmoothOperator
12-01-2002, 01:55 PM
I thought you were supposed to leave your engine running, then stick your dick in the tailpipe. If it burns, your engine will need replacement.

ep pilot
12-01-2002, 03:49 PM
OooPs! My bad I wanted to say I have 1000K not 10K but now that I have 1250 I have been tearing into it quite a bit.

-Ryan

SiCivic2k2
12-01-2002, 04:08 PM
You're alright. That's what the rev limiter is for. To prevent you from damaging your engine.