PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing gone bad...?

kwiksi
03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Okay I'll try to make a long story short.
My car makes a whirring noise. At speed, when I turn to the left its there. When I turn right it goes away.
I recently had issues while replacing my springs. Had to replace the whole rear arm. Stripped the welded nut on the lower arm that held the lower shock end. It was seized. I had the same issue with one of the bolts holding the rear hub to the arm. I had to bang a nut on the bolt end with a sledge hammer and socket to break free. I had the rear brake rotor still attached, but was careful and had it resting on wood and not my garage floor....I'm starting to wonder if the shock/banging of the sledge nicked my hub bearing since it was still attached.? I don't believe the rotor ever it the garage floor but I could be wrong. Maybe it did and that nicked the bearing?

Car was fine before the spring install and had it realigned after spring install.

Any body ever replace a rear hub bearing and how did you know that was the problem?

ep3demon
03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
usually the howling noise that gets progressively lounder as u increase speed is a tell-tale sign of wheel bearing failure. you can also lift the side in question and check the wheel for excess play.

talonXracer
03-23-2010, 06:20 AM
You will usually also feel a vibration from a bad bearing, if you feel the vibes from the seat it is usually a rear bearing, from the steering wheel means a front bearing.

As mentioned above, jack up each corner and rock the wheel, any movement is a bad bearing.

rd02SiR
03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
So how do you replace this? My front one is starting to go on me. When i turn right it makes a vrrrrrrr noise, the faster i go, the louder it is.

talonXracer
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
You either need a Hub-Tamer(quick and easy), or remove the knuckle from the car and have the hub pressed out and then the bearings, new ones installed and then the hub.

rd02SiR
03-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Edit: I looked it up, its a tool to remove the bearing. Do you know how much this goes for?