PDA

View Full Version : Used rims/tires. What service needed?

FailureToStop
11-29-2002, 08:21 PM
I'm trying to get some used rims and tires from some guy. If I want to install it on the EP, what do I need the tire shop/mechanic to do?

The tires are already mounted to the rims. Can I just take off the old wheels and slap the new ones on? Do I need them balanced? Do I need an alignment? Or what? How much $ will it set me back?

Also, say I keep the new set as racing only and keep the stockies for street. Do I need to do something special? Or is it just a matter of taking them of (street set) and putting them on (race set) and vice-a-versa?

Silvershadow
12-02-2002, 03:25 AM
Take off,put on.Simple.Just torque d nuts& tighten in the right order(e.g.12:00,6:00,9:00&3:00)See page 226 (owner's manual).No alignment needed.No balancing unless the seller didn't do it.If the wheels are a diff.size you may want 2 check to c if the wheel/tire hits anything.

IceD out N CALI
12-02-2002, 07:19 AM
yup its simple. buy em, mount em, and drive on em

02si
12-02-2002, 06:44 PM
NOooo
Don't do that

check for dents or dings first then if eyeballed and they seem ok then put them on.

If you have any suspicion they are out of balance get this done before putting them on.

You don't want to be doing 70 and one of them is out of balance and starts trying to rip out your suspension.

Be safe instead of sorry.

FailureToStop
12-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys. I'll ask if they were balanced and if possible supply me a receipt with the balancing fee or service on it.

Silvershadow
12-03-2002, 12:08 AM
It's not that BAD . If it's out of balance your Si will start to vibrate as you get up to speed & might stop vibrating at certain speeds.

goy091
12-03-2002, 01:58 AM
hehe well if youve ever had to change a flat... its the same thing. just unbolt and then rebolt. oh yea before you buy the wheels might want to make sure theyre the right offset and lug pattern.

02si
12-04-2002, 06:13 PM
It's not that bad
but it could be

Just be cautious
form one si brethren to another.