PDA

View Full Version : want new rims but i know nothing about rims or tires!

gamma6
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
whats up,
i am possibly in the market for some new rims. I have stock rims and it is currently on factory struts with H&R 2" lowering springs. i want to get sportmax/xxr 002 rims but dont know what rim size to get or what size of tire to get. i want to do the minimum work to make them fit but i do have a couple of friends that are capable of rolling fenders, if needed. I know for sure that i want a low offset but dont know how to choose what offset, rim size or tire to match my current set up. I tried to do some research but i have no idea what ppl are talking about and thought about just making a post for my current set up. I dont plan on changing my suspension set up for a while, just an fyi.
thanks in advance!

ShadowEP3
03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
wheres the Tire and Fitment 2.0 thread when you need it :mcry:

i imagine if youre going with the XXR 002s youre gonna go for a +0 offset?

sistealth02
03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I remember reading something about how you can measure how much offset you can go without rubbing the fender:

You can tape a piece of string (or something else straight like a ruler) on the fender lip (where the tire would rub) and let it hang down. Then measure from the wheel hub to the string with a ruler. This will give you a measurement of how much offset you can go.

Here is a website that will help you with your wheel size after you make that measurement on:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You will have to take into account wheel diameter too based on how lowered your car is. but the website above will help you with all that.

Also, when I upgraded from the stock 15's to the RSX 17's my car had to be raised a little so it didn't rub.

Good luck with the wheelz dude.

-Lance
U.S. Air Force

gamma6
03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah i know i've been waiting for hella days for the site to go back up again, i most deffinatley want to go with the +0 offset but i dont know if the 16's would fit with my set up...

gamma6
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
I remember reading something about how you can measure how much offset you can go without rubbing the fender:

You can tape a piece of string (or something else straight like a ruler) on the fender lip (where the tire would rub) and let it hang down. Then measure from the wheel hub to the string with a ruler. This will give you a measurement of how much offset you can go.

Here is a website that will help you with your wheel size after you make that measurement on:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

You will have to take into account wheel diameter too based on how lowered your car is. but the website above will help you with all that.

Also, when I upgraded from the stock 15's to the RSX 17's my car had to be raised a little so it didn't rub.

Good luck with the wheelz dude.

-Lance
U.S. Air Force

ill give that measuring thing a shot, kinda confused on the instructions but ill get someone to help me out with it, only one way to learn right? and thanks for the link to that website, i checked it out but it didnt show me the offset that i want, and not sure it my rides height matters...

ShadowEP3
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
since youre gonna go with a +0 youre gonna need a roll--badly

what tires are you looking at getting?

gamma6
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
since youre gonna go with a +0 youre gonna need a roll--badly

what tires are you looking at getting?

I have no idea, thats why i made this post. i plan to get 16's and the 0+ offset, and the fender rolling doesnt sound too bad since i have a couple of buddies who have done it before. what tire size do u recommend? i have a friend that suggested 195-46-16. I dont want to buy the rims and not have to end up raising my car since i only have springs.

sistealth02
05-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Well what is your current tire size?

gamma6
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Well what is your current tire size?

not too sure but off the top of my head its 204-45-15??? I ordered the wheels finally two weeks ago and they said they should come in this week so i have my fingers crossed... I also bought a front and rear camber kit just in case i might need it

spy8181
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
They are called wheels not rims. A 16x8 +0 offset is not a "correct" fitment for the ep3 and will require you to know what you are doing because it brings with it a whole bunch of issues and or problems.

socmex7
05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
such as wheel bearing issues :mbiggrin:

gamma6
05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
They are called wheels not rims. A 16x8 +0 offset is not a "correct" fitment for the ep3 and will require you to know what you are doing because it brings with it a whole bunch of issues and or problems.

But if it is done correctly could one avoid these problems right? Have you had these issues before?

cronicEP
05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
get 16X8 +15...not as agressive as 0 offset and lines up great with the EP lines...don't get 0 offset

tire size...205-45-16

spy8181
05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
But if it is done correctly could one avoid these problems right? Have you had these issues before?

No I haven't had these problems. The point is there is no way to do it correctly, the ep3 was engineered for a higher positive offset wheel. When you run a significantly more negative offset wheel than stock the problems you can have are:

The negative camber needed to try to pull this off causes bump steer and a twitchy ill handling car as well as wears out your tires prematurely since you'll be driving on the most inner 2 inches of tire.

Tire to fender clearance/ destroying your fender and or tire.

Turning clearance/ tires and or wheels rub while turning - possibly damaging tire/wheel and diminishing your turning radius.

The increase in load on the bearings and knuckles can destroy bearings and can snap knuckles/spindles/ball joints in half.

gamma6
05-12-2010, 07:54 PM
get 16X8 +15...not as agressive as 0 offset and lines up great with the EP lines...don't get 0 offset

tire size...205-45-16

they dont come in +15...

gamma6
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
No I haven't had these problems. The point is there is no way to do it correctly, the ep3 was engineered for a higher positive offset wheel. When you run a significantly more negative offset wheel than stock the problems you can have are:

The negative camber needed to try to pull this off causes bump steer and a twitchy ill handling car as well as wears out your tires prematurely since you'll be driving on the most inner 2 inches of tire.

Tire to fender clearance/ destroying your fender and or tire.

Turning clearance/ tires and or wheels rub while turning - possibly damaging tire/wheel and diminishing your turning radius.

The increase in load on the bearings and knuckles can destroy bearings and can snap knuckles/spindles/ball joints in half.

oh snap lol , i appreciate the heads up! I did not know/think of these problems/issues. Camber is only in the rear, and rolling my fenders i have no problem with. Either way its too late, i already ordered "them"... just to double check tho i have asked another ephatch member if he has run into any problems... There has been a few ppl with these on the forum and i have yet to see any problems cuz of these. Maybe they haven't run into them... idk?

cronicEP
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
they dont come in +15...

yes they do...

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2536931

nevermind, you already got them. Just proving a point, hope you're happy with them.

gamma6
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
yes they do...

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2536931

nevermind, you already got them. Just proving a point, hope you're happy with them.

you're thinking about the 501"s