PDA

View Full Version : k20z1 swap

morgan03si
03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I am about to put a k20z1 into my 03' si. I plan to upgrade the cams, valves, valve springs, and retainers from skunk2. I am thinking about the fuel rail and intake manifold as well. I really want to put on a racing heaer by buddy club but dont know if every thing will be ok with matching up with the rest of the exhaust pipe. I would have to get the header for that motor which is out of a 06' type s. I know I have to get hondata but would like to know what else I could do to get more power. I am also wondering if I should use the trans. from the type s or just stick with the stock 5 speed. I would really like to get some incite on this swap.

Jpax
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Whats your goal for the car? Is this a Daily driver? show queen? how much driving is this car going to see? You need to figure your shit out then build your car around your personal preferences, that way your not pissed off down the road wasting money when you changed your mind from your initial start. Swap I must say is a Great BASE start, and the Z1 is a good motor to put in, If you are going to boost down the road the 5 speed tyranny would be nice. if your going to stay all motor then 6 speed is how I would go then. the mods your talking about are a good start to your final goal what ever that may be. think it though what is this car going to be doing every day? for the next 5 years, are you going to sell it after 2 or 3 years? let us know

morgan03si
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I plan on making it a everyday driver and maybe some show. I don't plan on getting ride of the car ever. I plan on staying all motor. I know I wont be able to get 300hp out of the k20z1 with out the k24 bottom, but I would like to get as much as possible. If I ever go with boost it would be many years down the road. For right now I am trying to get the car back on the road and with some power. The stock k20a3 motor had some big time problems that honda could not even explain because they have never seen what happened to my motor. I have had the car since 03 and it was the first car I had ever bought. There are no plans for it to leave my possession.

talonXracer
03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
There is a point where NA and DD are not able to be used to describe the same engine.

Personally I would steer away from the Skunk2 with the A2/Z1/Z3 engines(any 3 lobe VTEC engines). They have had issues since they were first released years ago and have been thru several redesigns. The newest version of their cams have supposedly addressed their issues.

Go with the RBC mani and Karcepts adaptor, at your proposed level of WHP the Skunk2 mani is outperformed by the RBC for a third of the price without any of the mounting issues of the Skunk2 mani.

I am not sure if the BuddyClub header is available in a EP3 specific configuration, but it is very easy to mod the midpipe to fit the typeS length.

superchargedk20
03-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Im sellin my bcrh which has all ready been modded to fit the ep3. It should be in the FS section tomorrow. Look for it if ur interested

morgan03si
03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I am not sure what RBC mani is or the Karcepts adaptor. If you could send me the link so that I could understand what I am looking for.

talonXracer
03-24-2010, 04:40 AM
I am not sure what RBC mani is or the Karcepts adaptor. If you could send me the link so that I could understand what I am looking for.

Try searching, all this info is still here for the most part.

The RBC mani comes on the 06'+ civic Si

And the adaptor to fit the TB to the RBC can be found here. http://www.karcepts.com/shop/