PDA

View Full Version : shift cable problem?

04ssmep3
03-23-2010, 04:46 AM
About a week ago i changed my under hood shifter cable bushings and things went pretty smoothly, but right after i noticed that shifting into 3rd and 5th gear had a really soft or gummy feeling to it so i just kept drivin it. Then last night it got to the point where it just didn't go into 3rd or 5th anymore and i could only go into 1st gear if i was at a complete stop. i can get into second, fourth and reverse gears fine so im just thinking somehow when i was changing the bushings i damaged the cable that controls the up movement. any input on what the problem could be is very appreciated. thanks.

BeaterEP
03-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Probably obvious, but I'd say just double-check that everything is installed and lubed correctly, and go from there.
I used a little lithium grease when I did mine, and I'll give the bushings a little spritz every now and again when I think about it just to keep `em nice and smooth.

Sorry I'm not more help. Have you gotten in there and looked everything over again? Maybe one of the bushings wasn't seated properly? :shrug:

04ssmep3
03-23-2010, 06:24 AM
yup i put some dielectric grease on them when i did the install. i checked everything yesterday when i was tellin my buddy about it and he told me to see if i might've put it in upside down which could've been causing stress on the cable but it was fine. this is really confusing me

04ssmep3
03-23-2010, 07:58 AM
the car has 45k original miles and no grinds. i really had no problem with the tranny up until this, i bought new cables from the stealership and have an appointment friday to get em put in so hopefully this stops the problem.

ttttrigg3r
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I've had this problem before and here's what happened to me. It feels weird and gummy when I go into the top gears like 1 3 and 5 but fine when I go into 2 4 and R. What happened was one of the bracket holding the cable was broken right under the shifter console. I took it to widebodyeg's house and he took off the bottom center console and saw the piece had broken in half so when I was trying to push up to shift to the top gears it wouldn't work. He fixed it by glueing the plastic pieces that had broken together with jbweld and then putting it back. Works fine after that.
Here's a picture of what broke it was definitely cheaper to fix that than to buy new cables so check it out.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123/ttttrigg3r/shiftlever.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r123/ttttrigg3r/?action=view&current=shiftlever.jpg)

ps: can anyone believe the OE shift lever is 130$???!!!!