PDA

View Full Version : Buy it?

LI03SI
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I can get a 2003 Civic Si with 135,000miles for $3800. Here is the catch..

The car runs well and drives well from when I drove it but it needs some help.

First it has a Rebuilt Title. The passenger window was broken and the seats were stolen out of it apparently. Car fax shows it was never in an accident so I think thats ok right? To go along with this.. the kid bought SI seats but doesn't have the right buckles for the car... so the SRS light is on. These are $300 for the set online I believe.

I *think* the Crank Pulley seal is leaking oil everywhere. Fairly easy fix from what I gather..

The brakes shimmy... He says the front has new rotors and pads so I don't know if its from up there or from the rear.. since the E-Brake pretty much doesn't work.. so I'm assuming the rear.

Also the windshield has a small crack in it in the shape of an L.

Will it need a timing chain and water pump soon?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JackReacher
03-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I think that price is way too high for a rebuilt title and those problems but that is just IMO. I am probably going to sell my '03 with a clean title in mechanically good condition in the next year (probably around 80,000mi at the time) and I am not expecting to get more than $5,000 for it.

shortstop
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Give a little get a little. If you plan on swapping, I say yes but I am too picky and wouldn't rock a salvage/rebuilt title. Also with those buckels you might be able to get new ones for free through honda (doing mine tomorrow)

LI03SI
03-23-2010, 08:33 PM
The plan is to make it a project car down the line... Drive it as is for a moment and upgrade things as they break or I have the extra cash.

Also on a side note would putting a JRSC Race kit on a motor with 135,000 be immediate tragedy? I was thinking of supercharging it until the motor dies and rebuilding/swapping for a A2 or A1.

LI03SI
03-24-2010, 07:43 AM
$3800 and I got him to include Motegi I7 Rims(No Tires) and a Password JDM Carbon Fiber Power Intake Chamber.

I think I'm gonna take it since those are worth at least a few hundred right there.

Thanks

Tnhatch03
03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
as long as you plan on buying it and if you ever sell it down the road, you may not get your initial cost of the car back. i try to stay away from cars if they do not have a clean title. but if this is going to your car for a longggg time, then go for it. have fun with the EP!

as far as supercharging the EP with 135,000 miles. i am sure it would be fine as long as you do the maintenance on it before you install the S/C and do the regular oil change.

talonXracer
03-24-2010, 09:13 AM
DO NOT believe everything that carfax shows or doesnt show. It is a purely voluntary input and there is no legal requirement to report anything to them.

Rebuilt titles will also affect your insurance rates, also has the car been registered since the rebuilt title was issued? That could be a nightmare and a half to accomplish as it has to be restored to the same basic condition as when it left the factory, WITHOUT any aftermarket components. NY is a real pain in the ass!

widebodyeg
03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
salvage title doesnt mean anything, insurance companies dont want to pay for anything these days, so cars get salvaged for nothing, you should definitely buy it, its a cheap price and you could make it a great car

hkrayingboyz
03-24-2010, 09:28 AM
No way. 3,800$ for a car missing so many things. seat ~200$. Window for front and passenger ~450$. Just alone with those, that right you around 4450$ just for the car.

When the car has rebuild title, which basically is a salavage title but put a new engine in which I dont believe what happen to that car.

For the SRS light on, you can easily reset it but that can be either just glitch on the system, or they air bag didnt fix or something.

SRS light on is not a big problem because you can reset but what cause the SRS light on is might be a big problem.

In my opinion, I rather spent extra 1000$ on something that is in better condition.
So my final thought, is a "NO" on this car.

LI03SI
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
No way. 3,800$ for a car missing so many things. seat ~200$. Window for front and passenger ~450$. Just alone with those, that right you around 4450$ just for the car.

When the car has rebuild title, which basically is a salavage title but put a new engine in which I dont believe what happen to that car.

For the SRS light on, you can easily reset it but that can be either just glitch on the system, or they air bag didnt fix or something.

SRS light on is not a big problem because you can reset but what cause the SRS light on is might be a big problem.

In my opinion, I rather spent extra 1000$ on something that is in better condition.
So my final thought, is a "NO" on this car.

The car has a window n seats... That was fixed.. that's why the title is rebuilt and not salvaged. Its on the road now.

The car needs:

Crank pulley seal
Rear Brakes I believe
Front Passenger and Driver Seat Belt Buckles
Windshield (Maybe.. I might be able to get it inspected)

Otherwise its pretty good.

Also its inspected until July.

widebodyeg
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
its a good deal and the seat belt buckles from a rsx will work on those seats

hkrayingboyz
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
The car has a window n seats... That was fixed.. that's why the title is rebuilt and not salvaged. Its on the road now.

The car needs:

Crank pulley seal
Rear Brakes I believe
Front Passenger and Driver Seat Belt Buckles
Windshield (Maybe.. I might be able to get it inspected)

Otherwise its pretty good.

Also its inspected until July.

Well. If you believe that rebuilt title is just fix whatever missing, you might be wrong.
I just go google and search, here is what
"A "rebuilt title" is placed upon a rebuilt or reconstructed vehicle, which previously was a salvage vehicle but has now been repaired and restored to operation. These vehicles are often severely damaged before they are rebuilt and refurbished parts are typically used during reconstruction. In most states, an inspection of the vehicle is required before the vehicle is allowed to return to the road."

In the end, the money is your, and the car is your. If you think is worth it, then buy it. But for other, this might not be so good.

scorpionsf
03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Well. If you believe that rebuilt title is just fix whatever missing, you might be wrong.
I just go google and search, here is what
"A "rebuilt title" is placed upon a rebuilt or reconstructed vehicle, which previously was a salvage vehicle but has now been repaired and restored to operation. These vehicles are often severely damaged before they are rebuilt and refurbished parts are typically used during reconstruction. In most states, an inspection of the vehicle is required before the vehicle is allowed to return to the road."

In the end, the money is your, and the car is your. If you think is worth it, then buy it. But for other, this might not be so good.

could also be a stolen car insurance wrote off

LI03SI
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
could also be a stolen car insurance wrote off

Thats what happened. It hasn't been in an accident and the wasnt flooded or in a fire.