PDA

View Full Version : Removing Seats today Yay or Nay?

bumpinhatch13
03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
what you guys think personaly, i sometimes have more than one friend with me, but im lookin for weight reduction and space to put my shit (im a DJ speakers turntables mixers and such) what do ya think! HollA!:music:

Tnhatch03
03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
No one ever sat in the back of my EP. I started with the headrests, then moved to the seats, and panels. It was a good excuse to not have to drive people everywhere. Volunteer and then be like, OH CRAP, you know, I don't have any backseats but if you want to ride on metal, then lets go!

dkid15
03-24-2010, 08:33 AM
If your cars stock then hell no. But if you are done up nicely, lowered/wheels/ lipkit/ and some performance as well then go for it. Im completely gutting mine when schools done. With my straight through exhaust an no sound deadening its gonna be a fun track season.

talonXracer
03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
I prefer the rear seats removed.

bumpinhatch13
03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
i couldnt find a how to or DIY and the search is bein gay as aids. any help plz :D

Tnhatch03
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
just start pulling things out and look for bolts. it is pretty simple to remove the seats. the cushion actually just pops off.

crhatch02
03-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Removing the back seats was the greatest thing I have ever done as far as storage...I haul a lot of stuff and it was fantastic.

mangvue05si
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I just removed the back seat today, was a great feeling. got tips and pics -- HOLLER!

mangvue05si
03-25-2010, 09:34 PM
i couldnt find a how to or DIY and the search is bein gay as aids. any help plz :D

-- I used what i could find first and started... There was a thread already... modifyed it a little...
-- got a pic at bottem if it helps --

**************Here we go ******************

--Here is a list of the tools you will need for the process. a Very sharp cutting pliars are best (but a knife will do), needle nose pliars, 10mm wrench, a ratchet with a short extension and a 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm sockets, and a flat head screw.--

-- THERE IS A PICTURE BELOW --

-- MY WAY I HAD TO CUT TWO PARTS JUST A LITTLE TO GET TWO BOLTS OFF --
-- THE TWO YELLOW DOTS ARE THE ONES I HAD TO CUT TO GET TO TWO BOLTS OFF --
-- THE TWO GREEN DOTS ARE THE "POP-OFF" POINTS --

Open your hatch and remove cover device. Fold your backseats forward, and at the base of the seats (in the back at the bottem where it splits) you will see a small plastic cover (Grey box with two red dots). use your flat head and pop the pastic off, and underneath will be two 12mm bolts.

Using your ratchet and extension and 12mm socket, remove both bolts.

Then, take the upholstery at the base of the seats and pull it up. when i read this (WTF) "upholstery"... well this is the carpet ontop of the wood There are 3 tabs that snap into the floor. Be careful not to break them. From here i wasent able to takem off without breaking all three so i ripped.. no TEARED it out

Next, the cloth backing on the seats is held to the floor "upholstery or whatever the hell its called!" by some small tabs (one on each side). Take your small screw driver, and gently , very gently push the small center part in. It will click down, do not force it any further. After you have done that, remove the tabs and free the cloth.

Now take both seats back into it's upright position, firmly pull up underneath one at a time the left and right side bottem seat near the bracket, and the seat should just "pop" out. THERE ARE TWO HOOK THAT WILL *POP*

The bottem seat is now free, BUT the seat belt is still attached under the lower portion of the seat. Now, go to your passenger side door, roll your passenger seat forward, and grab the backseat. Gently push up the seats, from here you will see that there are two bolts on each side. the OUTER ones dont need to be undone but the INNER one does. The seat is attached with a 10mm bolt, removing this will free the bottom seat cushion. Gently push the cushion forward and using your ratchet and 14mm socket, undo the bolt. This will not only free the seat belt, but also the lower portion of the back seat. 2/3 of the seat is now removed.

Now, take the bolt holding the other seat to the middle bracket. (Remember where you first started removing the two bolts at the back behid the platic...yea there)

From here the seats should just pop out. well you have to push the seats "out". well you will see when you are at this point.

---- IM DOING THIS FROM MEMORIES ------
---- SORRY IF I MISSED ANY BOLTS ------
---- JUST UN BOLT THEM IF I MISSED ANY -:vtec:

Now, just by removing the backseat, you have saved anywhere from 40-50 pounds. Add the spare tire and jack... One thing to note however, be careful with the wiring going to your fuel pump, you pull those out, and you're gonna' have some problems. Anyways, enjoy your lighter car, slightly improved fuel mileage, and "raced out" look. I found it kinda disterbing to look at it.. all gutted out, so i put my back floor mats like if it were seats!-- looks way better with a "connecting" carpet look.

--- here is the seats after there out in my room (ITS DARK N NO FLASH SORRY-bumb up your brightness)

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab64/mangvue05si/IMG_6916--2.jpg

---i hope you could USE as help ---

*THANKS* GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN WHILE DOING IT

BeaterEP
03-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Here's my question: Any way to pull the passenger side front seat in one piece? Service Manual has you disassembling the whole damned thing! :thumbd:
I want to mount a 4x5 camera on a tripod in that space for a day or two for a little project I'm working on, but like I said the manual shows a lot of pulling the seat apart. So, anyone ever take that seat out as one piece?

Also, since I'm pretty sure doing that results in an SRS light, will that reset after I put the seat back? :shrug:

BeaterEP
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
Awww, no responses to my threadjack? :mbiggrin:

mangvue05si
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Awww, no responses to my threadjack? :mbiggrin:

I did remove my pass. seat, yet my little guy with the air bag came on. As for tripods or recording equipments i use Contour Cameras that CAN mount anywhere. -- **www.vholdr.com**

BeaterEP
03-30-2010, 06:02 AM
I did remove my pass. seat, yet my little guy with the air bag came on. As for tripods or recording equipments i use Contour Cameras that CAN mount anywhere. -- **www.vholdr.com**

Did the seat come out as one piece, or did you have to disassemble it?
4x5 ≠ other cameras :mbiggrin:

Cambo Large Format 4x5 Camera (http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=popup.imageviewer&itemno=CB4240&w=605&h=700).

mangvue05si
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Did the seat come out as one piece, or did you have to disassemble it?
4x5 ≠ other cameras :mbiggrin:

Cambo Large Format 4x5 Camera (http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=popup.imageviewer&itemno=CB4240&w=605&h=700).

Yes, well the way I did it, one piece.
-cambo large 4x5 camera -- YOU USING THIS TO RECORD?

AKAahlecks
09-17-2011, 07:52 PM
for the rear seat cushin, the drivers side hook that "pops" doesnt exactly "POP" in or out, it kinda just slides in and out. is that a problem? its as if it could just be lifted off with little or no force at all. is there a way to fix that?