PDA

View Full Version : HID and Projector Questions

ryboto
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
So, I'm considering getting some xenon lights, but I've got a few questions.

1- should I get projector headlights? I like the looks of the 04-05 headlight, but I've read in a thread a while back that it's smarter to go with projectors for the brighter bulbs.

2-If I get projectors, do I need a different bulb size than would work with the stock headlight?

ryboto
03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I guess I'm also curious if I should get an HID kit for both the high and low beams, or just one? Not quite clear on this. I see a lot of them on the road, so I imagine those are low-beams.

dohcep3
03-25-2010, 01:42 AM
1. I suggest you RETROFIT the projectors from the s2k, tsx, or get the ctr lhd oem headlights IF you want full potential of the hid. If you go cheap and buy those ebay projector lens, i guaranteed you're gonna regret it because the cutoffs and projection of ebay lens really suck a*s ... It produce more glare than usable lights. Trust me i had it..... I kept getting flashed and didn't now why until my friend test drive my car while i'm driving his... Damn the light blinded me!!.... It was aimed down too... Now i retro fit the ep3 ctr lens into it and its perfect cutoffs and no glaring into other driver. Love it..

2. If you use OEM projectors then majority uses d2s bulb. So yes, HID bulbs are different than halogen bulb if compared to the OEM HIDs.

I suggest low beam only, no point in getting high beam. The HID takes a while to warm up and get to its full brightness, so you couldnt really "flash" anyone or anything. Furthermore, i dont think there's a time that you need to use your high beam for a long period of time to make use of the HID.

ryboto
03-25-2010, 05:20 AM
2. If you use OEM projectors then majority uses d2s bulb. So yes, HID bulbs are different than halogen bulb if compared to the OEM HIDs.

I suggest low beam only, no point in getting high beam. The HID takes a while to warm up and get to its full brightness, so you couldnt really "flash" anyone or anything. Furthermore, i dont think there's a time that you need to use your high beam for a long period of time to make use of the HID.

Thanks for the reply. I probably wont be spending all the money to retrofit or get OEM ctr projectors. I was looking at XenithXenons, and they have their new Lux line that lets you adjust cutoff and focus glare. That sounds pretty ideal for a non-projector headlight, right?

mage182
03-25-2010, 05:55 AM
After doing a retrofit on my friends EP without using projectors, I never will again. No matter what you do it never comes out great and you'll wish you spent the extra money on the projectors.

That being said I've also used Depo knockoff projector headlights and didn't like those either.

Yes it will cost you more money, but in the end picking up a set of OEM Honda projectors is the way to go. If you look on international ebay sites they can be picked up for cheap. Then it's just a matter of getting everything else you need to finish the project in OEM fashion (Wiring sub-harness, TSX projectors, 04-05 TSX ballasts, D2S bulbs, plus all the extras you'll need to convert the wiring in your car for the new headlights).

I got my EDM projectors (with leveling motors if you want to go that route) for 170 bucks off ebay. I used www.theretrofitsource.com for the HID components. There used to be a thread before the most recent crash that listed all the rest of the parts you need to complete the process. I'm hoping someone will repost it so I can get my car done.

ryboto
03-25-2010, 06:24 AM
I know projectors are the way to go, but has anyone even tried the new products from xenith without projectors? I'm surprised your EDM lights were so cheap, considering DEPOs go for ~$200.

talonXracer
03-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I would only use a projector type Hid lighting scheme. Several guys around here have gone with the ebay and low cost chinese import upgrade Hid bulbs/ballasts, they are not very pleased with the results.

revelations
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
1. I suggest you RETROFIT the projectors from the s2k, tsx, or get the ctr lhd oem headlights IF you want full potential of the hid. If you go cheap and buy those ebay projector lens, i guaranteed you're gonna regret it because the cutoffs and projection of ebay lens really suck a*s ... It produce more glare than usable lights. Trust me i had it..... I kept getting flashed and didn't now why until my friend test drive my car while i'm driving his... Damn the light blinded me!!.... It was aimed down too... Now i retro fit the ep3 ctr lens into it and its perfect cutoffs and no glaring into other driver. Love it..

If one wanted to have both high and low beam xenon lights on an '02, what would be the most logical choice?

Depo + somekind of bixenon projectors?

Civicvtec1ps
03-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Save up and do it right.
Speaking from experiences.

ryboto
03-29-2010, 07:01 AM
maybe someday, I just don't see the point in spending over $600 on headlights. If I come across a good deal on OEMs, maybe I'll bite.