PDA

View Full Version : Traction control?? VSA?

ep3n3wp
03-24-2010, 03:30 PM
soo i was wondering if any one knew if the 02 civic si has traction control... or something similar?

if so... any one know how to turn it off...

trying to figure out a prob whith car shaking a little bit when accelerating with pedal all the way to floor... me and mechanic think this might be the reason... cause i put new motor mounts and still shaking... ps.. changed rims and tire to 17inch rims and 215/45 tires.. i kinda thinking since rim is bigger car thinking the tires are slipping when i push pedal all the way down which then is turning this on... i dunno...

any help or ideas would be great!!

Thanks!!!!!

03silverEP
03-24-2010, 09:25 PM
No TC or anything other than ABS.

Check subframe bolts, strut bolts, pinch bolts, tie-rods, and wheel bearings to see if anything is loose.

any ideas guys???

Ep3some
03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
An 02' . . . I would have to agree with 03silverep and say check the wheel bearings first. If you discover play in the wheel then replace and problem solved. BTW any particular reason you are mashing the pedal all the way to the floor?

ep3n3wp
03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
okay thanks will check those things... its wierd cause when in 2nd and 3rd when accelerating with pedal all the way down it feels like it wobbling (no steering wheel shaking just feel it in like pedals and under my ass lol)... doesnt start till around 4,500 rpm... but if i driving and hit 4500 with pedal all the way down when it starts to wobble and i take foot off pedal a little(halfway) and leave it run at 5,000(for a few seconds) no more wobbling only when pedal all the way down to floor.. there is no wobbling when driving normal in any gear at say 3,000-5,000 with pedal half way or normal cruising speed only when pedal all the way down...

i only mash in one spot (freeway entrance by my house is like half mile straight away and once in a while i get on it up to bout 70 then just cruise... its a nice fun entrance...
ps thanks for suggustions will check it out!!!

BeaterEP
03-25-2010, 06:17 AM
This might sound silly, but is it just a tire/wheel balance issue? I've had screwy balance jobs before that what you're describing reminded me of; Not a constant wobble or vibration, just at certain RPMs or speed I'd get a nasty little shake. A re-balance of the front wheels cleared it right up. Any time I notice some instability, that's the very first thing I check.
:shrug:

talonXracer
03-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Which motor mounts? They can cause vib's as well

could also be clutch chatter or spark plugs that have exceeded their useful life.

skoundrelusa
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
1) No traction control

2) It can seriously be anything, but I had a VERY similar problem when I first bought my car.

a) First noticed I had a ripped front motor mount, replaced it. Didn't fix it.
b) Thought maybe my wheels weren't balance. Switched wheels, didn't fix it.
c) Was about to get an alignment, but decided to replace the axles first. Replaced axles, fixed it. It didn't seem like an axle problem to me, but it did the trick.

groovezog
03-26-2010, 11:16 PM
That's your V-Techs kicking in, yo.

I believe that most Hondas require a hubcentric ring and compatible wheel. This ensures that the hub supports all the weight of the vehicle, not the lugs/lugnuts. One of my friends just put some different wheels without the hubcentric setup on his car, and they wobbled under acceleration.
That's something to check since you mentioned new wheels.
Another member here had the same problem due to a shot axle.
I motor swapped my CRX years ago, and got a shot axle from the parts store. The car vibrated serverly under acceleration, and the CV joint was pretty much locked up when I took it off the next day.
I also agree with beaterEP. Could be wheels that simply aren't balanced. Most tire shops offer lifetime balancing when you buy rubber, so you could take them back there.
I think it would take at least 250 hp to be spinning 17"s while accelerating. I don't think it's tire slip...