PDA

View Full Version : Looking to raise car, what setup to go with?

revelations
03-24-2010, 05:23 PM
So I bought the car lowered a few years ago. Its down low enough that I have about 6" of ground clearance from the jack point, its also great for keeping kidney stones away.

I'm looking at raising my car, going back to a ride height about 1" below OEM and am wondering what suspension setup would be ideal?

I would like a damper/alignment/spring setup that is slightly more 'responsive' than OEM, but not auto x ready or anything.

Its has KYB dampers and springs right now from what I can tell.

The tires wear evenly and the car has no unusual handling issues in the snow, wet or dry.

I have both summer and winter tires, the car is used as a daily driver in a city with crazy roads due to constant freeze-thaw.

Budget is about 1000$

theyb
03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
HFP (someone is selling for 800 i think), or Mugen SS

mobomelter
03-25-2010, 07:36 AM
HFP (someone is selling for 800 i think), or Mugen SS

HFP is a 1" drop if you can find one. You could always go with coilovers which give you the ability to adjust whenever you'd like. I've always liked the progress coilovers and they run about 900.

revelations
03-26-2010, 10:45 PM
HFP is a 1" drop if you can find one. You could always go with coilovers which give you the ability to adjust whenever you'd like. I've always liked the progress coilovers and they run about 900.

I was under the impression that coilovers all gave a punishing ride, which isnt my idea of fun for a DD, and that coilovers are meant for racing, which would be over kill.

ep_hatcher_510
03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
no and no, although coil-overs do have a stiffer feel, is definitely not punishing. is not overkill for DD. A lot are made for the daily driven car and give the user adjustability they want. Some actually rides just as good, if not better then stock suspension. Some are made strictly for competition and you can tell from the price tag some of them carry, stay away from those, heh.

revelations
03-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Right on, so which ones would you recommend for a DD?

ep_hatcher_510
03-27-2010, 02:48 PM
now i think a good setup that might benefit you would be a sturt/spring combo. bilstiens or koni shocks with something like a eibach prokit, or tein H tech which all lower close to one inch.

coilovers, i think progress or tein basic would give you the ride you are looking for. not sure how much they cost now but i believe they all are somewhere around your budget limit.

mobomelter
03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Progress is 900 last I checked (few days ago.) Not sure on Tein Basics.

ttttrigg3r
03-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I bought my tein basics for 1150 shipped to california from showstoppers. It should be 100 less shipped to any other state. Not punishing at all. I would buy that 800 hfp kit though.