PDA

View Full Version : honda vs hyundai

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 05:32 PM
sup guys, i was just wondering,
but if 03 hyundai tiburon gt v6 (stock) was to race a honda 03 civic si (stock), who would win? and in you guys' opinion, which car looks better? i heard from others that hyundai looks better.

thx :D

IceD out N CALI
11-30-2002, 05:38 PM
what car do you think looks better?

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 05:40 PM
i personally think hyundai tiburon looks better............. i was once a fan of tiburon. they look quite nice.... guys, plz, just because i said this, dont be mad... its just my opinion. :D

myeverlovinsir
11-30-2002, 05:40 PM
Technical Data:
2003 Hyundai Tiburon
MSRP price $19,995 (Base)
$22,395 (SE)
$25,795 (GT)
$28,795 (GS-R)
Type Two-door, four-seat sports coupe
Layout transverse front engine/front-wheel-drive
Engine 2.7 L 6-cyl. V-type DOHC 24-valve
2.0 L 4-cyl. inline DOHC 16-valve
Horsepower 181 @ 6000 rpm (V6)
140 @ 6000 rpm (I4)
Torque 177 ft-lbs @ 4000 rpm (V-6)
133 ft-lbs @ 4800 rpm (I4)
Transmission 5-speed manual (Base, SE, GT)
6-speed manual (GS-R)
4-speed auto (optional)
Tires P205/55R-16 Michelin (Base, SE)
P215/45R-17 Michelin (GT, GS-R)
Curb weight 1280 kg/2822 lbs (Base, SE)
1,333 kg/ 2,939 lbs (GT, GS-R)
Wheelbase 2530 mm/99.6 in
Length 4395 mm/173 in
Width 1760 mm/69.3 in
Height 1330 mm/52.4 in
Cargo Capacity 418 litres/14.8 cu. ft.
Fuel consumption (L/100km) Base, SE manual: 10.2 (city) 7.0 (Highway)
Base, SE auto: 10.1 (city) 7.2 (highway)
GT manual: 12.2 (city) 8.2 (highway)
GT auto: 12.0 (city) 8.3 (highway)
GS-R manual: 12.9 (city) 8.2 (highway)
GS-R auto: 12.0 (city) 8.3 (highway)
Warranty 3 yr/60,000 km
Powertrain warranty 5 yr/100,000 km

I would say that the GS-R would be a good race. After you have
made some modifications.:DCD (http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/03tiburon.htm) http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/03tiburon1.jpg

IceD out N CALI
11-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by justinlee0109
i personally think hyundai tiburon looks better............. i was once a fan of tiburon. they look quite nice.... guys, plz, just because i said this, dont be mad... its just my opinion. :D

haha dont worry nobody is gonna be mad cuz u like the tiburon better.

In fact I dig the looks of the tiburon too, if hyundai didnt have such a reputation for producing unreliable cars i'd even considered getting one. who knows maybe the future is bright for hyundais

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 05:52 PM
hehe ok. but would civic si win or would hyundai tiburon gt v6 win? i know im a newbie, but IMO, i think it will depend on the driver....

IceD out N CALI
11-30-2002, 05:55 PM
according to the numbers it is a drivers race. If you check the import car scene forums (dig deep) there are a few posted tiburon "kills" but nothing i've seen as of late. and that doesnt mean the tiburon can't beat the si:)

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 06:01 PM
for the looks, hyundai tiburon with tomato a&p body kit looks real good.
http://www.newtiburon.com/images/gallery/40/tomatoorg2.jpg
believe it or not, that is a tiburon... but in that picture, one thing is missing. the eyelid. with the eyelid, it looks way better.

i searched and searched, but i couldnt find any 03 si body kit. if you guys have some pix, can you post them?

thx

natesi
11-30-2002, 06:07 PM
I almost got one becuase I LOVE the looks. But the drive convinced me otherwise. Not that it was a bad test drive, but compared to the Si, it was obviously not as refined.

Other decision factors for me:
1--They have a significant amount of "first year bugs" to work out. I hate bugs and feel like everytime I go to the dealership is one time too many.

2--Saftey: the car is based on the Elontra platform, which is a death trap in IIHS crash tests. If I ever got in a crash, I would prefer not to be cripled. The last Civic, on the other hand rated very well, and Honda specifically made the Si to do well in this test also, although last time I checked there were no tests for the 2002-2003 Si.

3--Size: many of my friends wouldn't fit in it. I'm skinny, 5'11" and my head started touching the sunroof part of the roof. Maybe w/o a sunroof it would't be so bad.

4--Not as much utility: the back seat is purely decorational. The Si is easier to load and has more room to pack things. As a single guy I need some utility.

5--Options: As I stated in point 3, the sunroof would be an issue. The way I wanted the car eqipped was not possible, becuase you have to get EVERY DAMN THING in a "package", like it or not!!

6--The V6 auto (what I wanted) only came with 16 inch rims (and cost more), than a stick with 17 inch rims. The 16 inchers look bad. This related to reason number 5 as well.

7--I wanted mine w/o a spoiler because I honestly think it looks WAY better, but you have to have the damn spoiler if you want a V6. Lame. As it turns out, the paint chips/falls off around the spoiler anyway (visit tibby forum to verify this).

8--PERHAPS THE BIGGEST REASON: Not a big dealer network. As a single guy, I'm not quite sure where I'll be living in a few years and I don't have a second car or wife as a "backup" while it's in the shop--so I need a dealership relatively close by, or I'm going to be having huge rental car bills. And with the first year problems they were having, it would definately be going to the shop. There is only one dealer my city and it's also a Ford dealer--where i was taking my piece of shit lemon 2002 ZX3, and they were jackasses and idiots. Aside from that there were some in Portland not too far away, but the lemon law sucks in Oregon (as I learned when I bought my ZX3) so I wasn't going to buy a car there. The next dealership north of me was like way over an hour one way, and I'm not going to buy a car there because you can't do long freeway trips when it's brand new.

9--Honda was more refined, as I said in my intro. This was aparent from the test drive. The Tibby also had mad amounts of residue on the inside windows due to the cheap plastic they use. I fought this in my last car and it's a major pain in the ass. They will have that problem forever and it sucks.

10--THE SECOND BIGGEST REASON: I also drove a Sonota that day and it was a piece of shit. It must have been that particular one, because a few things in side didn't work right, the car didnt' track in a straight line, the engine SERSIOUSLY sounded like it was going to throw a rod, and it had a horrible burning smell. Anyway, since I was trying to get out of a lemon at that time, which I had only bought three months previous, the Sonota scared the crap out of me big time. The tibby I drove was nothing like that, but you can understand how i got scared, I'm sure. This also relates to point 9 above; I just feel the Honda will hold up better in the long run.

I really, really, really wanted a tibby and was kind of disappointed and let down. Maybe next time around I will get a Hiundia (sp), but they were not up to snuff for me. I expect more in the year 2002.

What ever decision you make you'll probably be happy with it. I think the Honda mods more easy though, but that just depends on what you plan to do with it.

Oh yea, you can also get an Si for $16,000 easily, which makes it cheaper than the 170hp V6 by $2-3,000 big ones.

Good luck,

-nate

clownswlleatu
11-30-2002, 06:12 PM
I almost bought a tiburon, but then I found out the hp is actually only 170 not the claimed 181. If you go to buy one the dealer makes you sign a waiver stated that you have been informed about the differance. Apparantly Hyundai made a mistake in the release stats. So I went for the Si instead since it has way more potential.

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 06:15 PM
WOW :eek: thx for the information. wow you typed alot. but dont worry. i read every single word you wrote. hehe. anyways, thx for the reply. :D

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 06:15 PM
WOW :eek: thx for the information. wow you typed alot. but dont worry. i read every single word you wrote. hehe. anyways, thx for the reply. :D

natesi
11-30-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm still editing it!!! he he

reread if you feel like. I'm done now...

= )

justinlee0109
11-30-2002, 06:29 PM
ooooooo guys, for the information.
i am typing this up from road & track megazine so
CREDIT TO ROAD&TRACK.

Honda 2003 Civic Si:
Hp: 160
0-60: 7.6 sec
0-100: 20.9 sec
1/4 mile: 15.9@87.8
Top speed: 130
List price: 19000
Price as tested: 19440

Hyundai Tiburon Gt V6:
Hp: 181 (i am not sure cuz someone said the real hp was 170)
0-60: 7.6 sec
0-100: 21.0 sec
1/4 mile: 15.9@87.6
Top speed: 135
List Price: 17999
Price as tested: 18744

i was gonna get the information from car and driver megazine, but they didnt have the info for civic si, but they had for tiburon.

so i will post the info for tiburon.

Hp: 181
0-60: 7.1 sec
0-100: ??
1/4 mile: 15.6@??
Top speed: 132
Price as tested: 19344

if im wrong, plz correct me. thx ;)

natesi
11-30-2002, 06:42 PM
1--It really does have 170hp. I'll bet they corrected it on the hyuandai web site. Take a look and see.

2--I'm thinking that 0-60 may have been with a 6 speed. It comes with a 5 speed standard. That's probaby why the price was around 19K for the tibby--added the 6 speed. Those are harder to find and I don't think your chances of getting it much below MSRP is good.

3--As I said, the Si can be had very easily for $16K, so don't take that $19K too seriously. Some have said they are selling for $15K, but I would have to see it to believe it--that might be harder to find. I have personally seen them down to $16K quite a few times in my area though.

Both cars have pros and cons. It's a personal decision and what factors you deem more important than others. Both are nice.

Good luck!

-nate

redronin22
11-30-2002, 06:59 PM
the tibby looks sweet . kinda like a ferrari got hit by the last gen celica IMO. too bad the transmission blows it feels so darn notchy when i test drove it i wanted it to end right away. yikes!

myeverlovinsir
11-30-2002, 07:07 PM
Asside from the similarities in the GT to our stock times, the GS-R is smokable. With minimal mods and a good driver.;)

Edit: we also have the better gearbox. I took one out before
I decided to get my ride, and was also disapointed at the sticky
gearbox, not near as slick as the honda. (notchy is a good description) Also felt the body was not stiff enough, seemed
boxy when riding along. The layout was not to my liking, etc.
Looks can be decieving, I test drove it in order to make
a decision and it was not well rounded nor refined in any
special way that got me aside from the nice exterior, it's a below
JDM/USDM ride. Hyundai will survive, but is not up to snuff yet. imho