PDA

View Full Version : 05-06 rsx type s rear sway bar install problems

superspeed
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
just wondering did anyone have problems installing a 05-06 dc5 type s rear sway bar? the end links are reversed? do i have to swap sides? or do i use the ep3 endlinks?

powdbyrice
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
ep3 endlinks. are you installing it upside down? its a common mistake.

superspeed
03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
shit i need new ep3 endlinks then lol

superspeed
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
i cant use the rsx type s end links? how to u remove them ? its like imposslbe lol

Blindeye_03
03-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Im not the best at explaning but basically you have to use a box wrench to loosen the nut on the endlink - dont turn it yet - put the correct allen wrench inside that and youll find this is how to remove the end links. I destroyed one of mine because I had no idea how to get them off either.

ep_hatcher_510
03-26-2010, 04:34 AM
if the link is really stuck on there, there is nothing you can really do, you might end up rounding the allen key hole out. if it comes to that just take a cutting wheel to it and saw it off.

BeaterEP
03-26-2010, 06:57 AM
One trick is to douse those things in PB Blaster first. I do that for basically any under-body nuts and bolts, because shit just likes to rust under the car. :( Let it soak in for a few minutes first, then it's pretty much like Blindeye described.
You need a 14mm open end/box wrench, and a 4.5mm allen key. (Was just under there re-lubing the sway bushings yesterday or I'd have no idea what sizes to use! :mbiggrin:)
The allen fits in to the end of the threaded part and holds the bolt steady while you turn the nut with the box wrench.
Once the nuts are off, you can just sort of pop the endlinks out of the sway bar and swivel them around to get them out of the way.
As far as which endlinks to use, I'm pretty sure that either will work: EP3 or RSX.

kai-wun
03-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Might want to consider new/aftermarket endlinks. I heard a stiffer rear sway leads to snapped weak(er) OEM ones.

superspeed
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
any onave pictures of this allen key thing? i want to put in the lower mileage dc5 rear end links its only has like 40000KM on it

maestro
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Before the site crashed, someone had a pic of the RSX and EP3 endlinks side by side and the RSX ones were a touch longer.

The allen key method is pretty much guaranteed to strip unless they are really new and well maintained. The hole at the end of the threaded part is actually for an allen key but its probably all filled up with dirt etc. I used the wrench and locking needle nose pliers on the base method.

jalep3
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Here you go, the ep endlink is about .75" longer. I put rsx links on my 06 rsx sway and they broke in 2 weeks.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/jalf18/CIMG0185.jpg

Drew1d
03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
My 2¢

If you handed me the bar, I couldn't tell you which way was up. Usually, you'll know if you installed it wrong because it bangs off either the trailing arm, or exhaust....wait I think it's the trailing arm... :mconfused:

Depending if your car is dropped, and what you use it for, will kinda decide what endlinks to use. I've used Corsport v2, and eventually they rattle. I heard hotchkiss is better, but I'm sure they rattle too. Any non-sealed endlink is going to rattle.

*deleted, The rsx are shorter*

A further note, the stock endlinks aren't really reusable. The crappy "hold this with an allen key while using a wrench method" is barely good enough to put them on, let alone take them off. If it's already starting to round the hole, don't bother going any further. Dremel it off, and get new ones. Hell, they shouldn't even sell the rear sway without new endlinks.

I've used anti-seize putting my rear ones on, and I'm sure they are just as bad.

Good luck.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/schwag512/TakeoffOldEndlink.gif

BeaterEP
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Just sayin, I'm still using the stock endlinks w/a Progress 24mm sway and tie bar combo on an HFP drop. They're still in good shape. I've taken them off/on a few times now, with no issues, when I've had to re-lube the sway bushings.
If you use a little common sense and patience, the job should be pretty straightforward.
Just sayin. :mcool:

superspeed
03-26-2010, 10:48 PM
so is its not a good idea to use rsx links?

Drew1d
03-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Just sayin, I'm still using the stock endlinks w/a Progress 24mm sway and tie bar combo on an HFP drop. They're still in good shape. I've taken them off/on a few times now, with no issues, when I've had to re-lube the sway bushings.
If you use a little common sense and patience, the job should be pretty straightforward.
Just sayin. :mcool:

TX>NY Salted roads. FTL

Drew1d
03-27-2010, 04:41 AM
so is its not a good idea to use rsx links?
Are you lowered?

SHG_EasyE
03-27-2010, 07:43 AM
When I put in my DC5 suspension I had to fight with the rear endlinks. My car is an 02 thats spent its whole life in the northeast. I wouldnt say its rusty underneath but its no west coast or southern car.

With the help of PB blaster and a propane torch I was able to get 3 of the 4 off with no issues. The last nut sarted coming off ok but got caught on the rusted threads as it got closer to the end. I had to cut that one off. If I were to mess with oem again I would wire wheel the rust off the exposed threads to reduce the chance of stripping the allen.

As long as you have them off do yourself a favor and replace them with some aftermarket units.

BeaterEP
03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
TX>NY Salted roads. FTL

AH, I see. That is very true! Goddamn, I'd lose my shit if I wound up having to cut basically every time I got under the car! :mfrown:
Damn dood, road salt FTMFL!!!

superspeed
03-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Are you lowered?

yes i am lowered i have tein basics

Drew1d
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
yes i am lowered i have tein basics

You probably can get away with the RSX endlinks.

superspeed
03-29-2010, 12:49 PM
just installed it and it turned out fine definetly worth the upgrade and the car now enter a corner better with lil less body roll feeling in the back.

BeaterEP
03-30-2010, 06:07 AM
:thumbu: I'm always amazed at how much little changes can affect the "fun factor" on the EPs. Just put the ITR rear strut gussets (http://www.itrsport.com/images/tech_large/tech_body_r.gif) in mine, and wow! Back end feels like it's absolutely flat through the turns now. Is nice! :meek:

black05ep
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
ok i had to read this thread a few times but i get it now. i just bought the type2 rear sway and brand new rsx endlinks.. they rsx ones only break if the car is too high? but if im lowered then the rsx ones will be fine? im dropped on progress springs. the sway and endlinks are brand new. ill be good with the rsx links then?

black05ep
04-09-2010, 06:02 PM
bump

02ES1
04-09-2010, 10:54 PM
In response to getting a stuck nut off wouldn't an impact wrench be easier than cutting? Although I guess i'm assuming you have access to an impact... As far as endlinks, I had the eibach rsx rear sway on my ES1 (I have an EP3 now) and I used the Hotchkis endlinks which are basically the same design as stock except that they are way beefier and are length adjustable. While they were $70 a pair when I bought them I think they are worth it.

black05ep
04-24-2010, 04:27 PM
i just put on the type s rear sway on feel better but the ep3 endlinks actually seem too long for the rsx rear bar.. should i swap the rsx s endlinks in or are the ep3 ones good to go?

Twisted-X
04-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I had a helluva time getting mine off as well. It ended up taking me 2 hours of half turn forward, quarter turn back. When you do this you're basically cleaning the threads with the nut.
I read Talon's good idea in another thread about covering the exposed threads with a rubber vacuum cap full of anti-seize.
BTW Corsport V2's are total junk.

black05ep
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
we had no problem taking off the enlinks from the factory bar.but puttin on the type s one the ep3 endlinks seem to be to long and it kinda concerns me. car feels good. a little flatter in the turns. wondering if i should put the type 2 endlinks on, btw im lowered on progress springs, thinking maybe thats why the endlinks seem too long? should i swap the links?